gender issues

cyclemad

gender issues

Postby cyclemad » 24 Jan 2018, 9:14pm

Hi I am a genetic male but identify as female. I have been a mountain biker for many years but started to dabble on road bikes over the last two years.. . Female MTB clothing thats fits is in abundance bit I would love to wear Girly / female type road cycle clothing and shoes but whenever I go into my local cycle stores or online I struggle to obtain clothing and shoes that fit. I really love the female colour ways ...GIANT / LIV recently announced that their cycle frames and kit appeal to many men....so I can't be a minority :)

I am a UK 10 shoes and my fav colour is pINK :)

Please dont judge me negatively in advance. There are many in my 'shoes'' .

thanks in advance for any advice you can offer. :)

brynpoeth

Re: gender issues

Postby brynpoeth » 24 Jan 2018, 9:17pm

Search pink on these fora, you will find a few posts
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott

NUKe

Postby NUKe » 25 Jan 2018, 5:07pm

NUKe

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 25 Jan 2018, 5:20pm

I think it's size that's the problem,my youngest daughter (32) is 6ft 1or2in(the type that make men walk into lamposts from gaulking) and takes a size 9 shoes,she sometimes has problems and pays over the odds for them at times.Cycling shoes in 'girlie' colours would be much less called for larger than say a size 8 due to a lack of popularity of annything bigger.Mrs Reohn2 takes a size 7 and struggles with ladies cycling shoes.
Sorry to be negative but I feel its a market for the masses.

PS,welcome to the forum :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 26 Jan 2018, 8:14pm

Welcome to the forum, how times change... not so long ago women's cycle shoes never existed and try getting a decent display of 5/38's in any cycle shop..... :lol:

Not sure where you are based but Buy A Bike on the A49 nrCharnock Richard is where I go to look for cycle shoes, having a decent range of women's shoes.

Clothing; Velo vixen is a good link to check out... they seem to have a wide variety of kit.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

Debs

Postby Debs » 26 Jan 2018, 8:37pm

Be careful choosing women's cycle shoes, they maybe too narrow for you?

I'm a size lucky 7 and luckily my feet are wide enough to fit most mens size 7, i find a lot of women's cycle shoes uncomfortable too narrow.

Also, this is a good time of year to wear 'overshoes' that keep your shoes clean, and feet warmer and dryer.
So you could wear any shoe that fits you comfy, and then pink coloured overshoes? :D

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 27 Jan 2018, 7:32am

Perhaps search Dutch (and maybe German) online shopping. Folk are just taller/bigger across the board there, so a better selection for bigger people.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

cyclemad

Postby cyclemad » 28 Jan 2018, 11:13am

found some BTwin Pink road shoes on the Decathlon site

any feedback on their shoes??

Flinders

Postby Flinders » 8 Feb 2018, 2:44pm

cyclemad wrote:Hi I am a genetic male but identify as female. I have been a mountain biker for many years but started to dabble on road bikes over the last two years.. . Female MTB clothing thats fits is in abundance bit I would love to wear Girly / female type road cycle clothing and shoes but whenever I go into my local cycle stores or online I struggle to obtain clothing and shoes that fit. I really love the female colour ways ...GIANT / LIV recently announced that their cycle frames and kit appeal to many men....so I can't be a minority :)

I am a UK 10 shoes and my fav colour is pINK :)

Please dont judge me negatively in advance. There are many in my 'shoes'' .

thanks in advance for any advice you can offer. :)

I sincerely hope nobody would think they had any right, need or desire to judge anyone else here, and welcome to the women's section. :)

I'm a small female, a mere 5' in height and under 10st in weight, and find that I have to wear men's sizes in road garments - for me it's a shoulder issue - I can't get my shoulders into ladies' gear unless I go for XL, which gives me arm lengths that go down to my knees and there is room for me and A N Other in the body section! That may be the problem for you. I think this is because cycling doesn't really develop big shoulder muscles, so women's bones, which are generally narrower in the shoulder compared to those of men of the same height, are the limiting factor. I suspect it's different off-road because I'd imagine shoulder muscle development is greater, so there are more options for the broad of shoulder, and people doing off-road don't want such tightly fitting gear.
I find the same with walking gear. I'm a Men's Medium. I often end up with the same size in tops/jackets as my 6' tall other half.
It is high time manufacturers caught up with the 21st century and offered colours irrespective of body proportions. I don't like pink, but my saddle has a weird pink thingy on it, because it is a 'ladies'' saddle, i.e., wider. As if no men ever had widely spaced seatbones....
If you do find anything, let us know, so others can benefit and the manufacturers concerned can get the credit. Perhaps we should make a list of companies that are 'neutral'- stock all colours in all body sizes/proportions. I've often wanted a ladies' design, but it is not available the in men's sizes I need. I've always really wanted this one

https://quirkyjerseys.com/products/tour ... ing-jersey

but they don't do it in 'men's' sizes. :cry:

I could, however, have one with muscles on it, or 'I love Beer'.
They do do a Men's one with reddish pink roses on it for some reason, though.
I still want the cat. I get so cross about this casual sexism that I wonder if I should get the 'cranky old b* one instead, at least they do that one in Men's so I could get one to fit.....

Flinders

Postby Flinders » 8 Feb 2018, 2:45pm

This is men's, and sort of pink'ish' in parts
https://quirkyjerseys.com/collections/m ... ing-jersey

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 8 Feb 2018, 3:30pm

Maybe this thread on Looking femme will be of help?

I often wear general outdoors clothes, rather than cycling specific clothes. Someplace like TK Maxx often has bargains.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

LollyKat

Postby LollyKat » 8 Feb 2018, 5:19pm

Flinders wrote: I've always really wanted this one

Oooooh - I love that Chat Noir one! Sizing does seem a bit odd, though. The notes on the sizing chart don't exactly help:
Note: the size chart for reference only! Hand there will be a 2-3CM measurement error range. Body and filled with personal habits...

errrrmmm...

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 8 Feb 2018, 6:33pm

cyclemad wrote:found some BTwin Pink road shoes on the Decathlon site

any feedback on their shoes??

I like Decathlon shoes. They're about the only ones that fit me.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

Flinders

Postby Flinders » 8 Feb 2018, 9:10pm

LollyKat wrote:

Oooooh - I love that Chat Noir one! Sizing does seem a bit odd, though. The notes on the sizing chart don't exactly help:
Note: the size chart for reference only! Hand there will be a 2-3CM measurement error range. Body and filled with personal habits...

errrrmmm...

The mind boggles as to what 'personal habits' they could mean. :shock:
I so much want the Chat Noir that was thinking of doing what I did with Ground Effect - send them my (rather odd) measurements and ask if any of the ladies' sizes might fit. I really wish they would do it in Men's sizes- some men love cats, so why not?
As Ground Effect are in NZ I didn't want them sending me out the wrong size. I sent them my measurements and asked them to work out what of their sizes would fit. They were brilliant, they worked out I needed a Men's size, and which one, and they were right- I got two great tops from them, years on and after a lot of use, they still look brand new and are really comfy- their 'Baked Alaska' is as warm as toast in the coldest weather.

Debs

Postby Debs » 9 Feb 2018, 1:42am

LollyKat wrote:

errrrmmm...

I suspect Quirky Jerseys are trading from China. It would account for the odd translation here and there, the fairly affordable price with free postage, and the 2 - 4 week delivery time on the slow boat.
They don't make it clear where they are, although there is a return address to send at Ashbourne UK.

I admit it, i couldn't resist :P

My size is aprox' 98cm, but i've ordered a 100cm which is XL [charming eh?]

My guess is it will either fit me right or be a bit baggy. Wish me luck