TransPennineTrail on a road bike ?

Yorkie

TransPennineTrail on a road bike ?

Postby Yorkie » 21 Feb 2018, 4:33pm

Hi
I'm pretty new, both to the forum and cycling.
I recently bought a road bike and thought about becoming a serious cyclist. I'm training myself in the gym and finding it's hard to do hills.
However, I'm planning to go on a trip on the Trans Pennine Trails (with my road bike) on my own.
My question is that, if that is possible with my road bike? I'm looking to take the west part of the trail, from Penistone to Manchester, perhaps to Liverpool.
All advice welcome.
Thanks
Toni

reohn2

Re: TransPennineTrail on a road bike ?

Postby reohn2 » 21 Feb 2018, 5:57pm

It can be a bit rough in parts and definitely won't be comfortable on a road bike.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

SA_SA_SA

Postby SA_SA_SA » 21 Feb 2018, 6:30pm

Avoid the A628* and the parallel bridleways which are too rough for a loaded Tourer.

It seems rather dubious to use them to link railway paths.

*It (the A628) was also too narrow with steep side at edge to want to wheel bike on it, which was my useless planned backup plan....

Better to find another route across peaks.
Last edited by SA_SA_SA on 26 Feb 2018, 12:22pm, edited 1 time in total.
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)

Yorkie

Postby Yorkie » 21 Feb 2018, 8:41pm

Thanks for all replies :D
I'm gonna have to get a MTB then.

freeflow

Postby freeflow » 21 Feb 2018, 11:34pm

I rode it from Conisborough to Penistone back in 2015. Very rideable gravel tracks. I didn't do the bridleway section to avoid the 628 as I was going downhill towards Hadfield. I'm planning on doing the same ride this year but following the bridleway route to avoid the 628 and then using the gentler gradient of the Langendale way to get to Hadfield.

I rode it as part of a 300 km Audax from South of Cambridge to Denton,Manchester.

I used a ti road bike with 28c four season tyres and had no problems apart from a sore bum due to my bib shorts being a size too small.

Good luck with your plans.

SA_SA_SA

Postby SA_SA_SA » 22 Feb 2018, 3:49pm

freeflow wrote:....I didn't do the bridleway section to avoid the 628 as I was going downhill towards Hadfield.....

I still wouldn't use the A628 going downhill: it has the previously mentioned drops (beside westbound road lane) ruining my backup plan to walk along road and when cycling at downhill speed, an HGV wouldn't wait to pass safely and cut in early....
Last edited by SA_SA_SA on 26 Feb 2018, 12:23pm, edited 1 time in total.

honesty

Postby honesty » 22 Feb 2018, 9:08pm

I did the a628 last year going east to west (downhill) when I road the pennine cycleway last year on a fully loaded touring bike with camping gear. It wasn’t too bad as you can keep you speed up and you get to cut off onto the nice off-road path. No way I want to go up hill on that section though!

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 24 Feb 2018, 8:10pm

Hello and welcome. Please remember before mountain bikes there were touring bikes and racing bikes. Touring bikes had more robust tyres, wheels, mudguards and the ability to carry kit. Race bikes were a little less robust and usually came without mudguards. I was off-roading before the MTB craze hit the world, and, like many before, took touring bikes over a variety of rough tracks. Yes there are places where tracks can be a bit too rough to ride.... but walking is always an option and remember the bike means you have a rucksack on wheels.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

SA_SA_SA

Postby SA_SA_SA » 26 Feb 2018, 12:21pm

eileithyia wrote:. but walking is always an option and remember the bike means you have a rucksack on wheels.

The eastern bridleway has a steep rocky bit (== awkward with loaded touring bike) and there is a gate mid-descent with a one foot 'kerb' drop (presumably to annoy motorcycles but not horses ) which is very awkward wheeling a loaded touring bike downhill...
I rejected walking on the road due to the drop on edge.

The TPT should really offer an alternative route.

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 26 Feb 2018, 12:26pm

A road bike with 28 mm wide tyres can go almost anywhere a mountain bike can, albeit a bit more slowly. The only things a road bike doesn't cope well with are mud, and big rocks.

I've taken my road bike on some pretty rough trails without any problems to speak of. If my bike is loaded, I walk a bit more is all.

That said, if you just want an excuse for a new bike, please don't let me stop you :wink:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

SA_SA_SA

Postby SA_SA_SA » 28 Feb 2018, 12:00am

Vorpal wrote:The only things a road bike doesn't cope well with are mud, and big rocks...
The Eastern TPT bridleway alternative to A628 was rocky (and steep). I found wheeling a 26x1.75 loaded touring bike difficult on it. I can't comment on the western one but was advised it was rough.

LollyKat

Postby LollyKat » 28 Feb 2018, 11:12am

In those conditions a lightly loaded road bike would be easier to wheel. I wonder how much kit the OP is planning to take?

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 28 Feb 2018, 11:16am

LollyKat wrote:In those conditions a lightly loaded road bike would be easier to wheel. I wonder how much kit the OP is planning to take?

And how she(?) is planning to carry stuff with.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

LollyKat

Postby LollyKat » 28 Feb 2018, 11:56am

If she is travelling light she might use a rucksack (I wouldn't) or a saddlebag, or a lightweight rear carrier with a rackbag or a pair of small panniers. A rackbag would be easier for pushing as panniers can get in the way of the legs, but panniers keep the centre of gravity lower.

It depends on the "road" bike, doesn't it. I've done some successful off-road with small panniers on a light steel tourer and 28mm tyres. A carbon frame with toe overlap and no clearance for mudguards would be a different proposition.

Could be a good excuse for n +1. :D