Blimey -its Dorothy Parker no less! :D

mumbojumbo

Re: Women's Round the World record attempt - Jenny Graham

Postby mumbojumbo » 22 Oct 2018, 7:00pm

Blimey -its Dorothy Parker no less! :D

mumbojumbo

Postby mumbojumbo » 22 Oct 2018, 7:09pm

As far as I'm aware, and I'm happy to be corrected, Round the World records require the same start and finish points and at least one opposing pair of great circle points. So whilst, yes, there are a great number of possible routes - the definition is pretty simple and picking the best possible route is part of the challenge. So before you continue knocking, see if you could do better.

I have no wish to cycle round anywhere.,If II did do road trip of such magnitude I would aim for a slow experience so I could observe the various towns,people and scenery available,.I like the challenge of choosing a good route but have family commitments which prevent my full participation(mother,89,with Alkzheimers)

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 22 Oct 2018, 7:41pm

mumbojumbo wrote:This is meaningless concept as there are an infinite range iof routes,mall of which have s unique distance and topography.

Orienteering races don't have set routes, just a list of checkpoints you have to visit in a set order and various out-of-bounds areas you can't stray in to, so there will be the same effectively unlimited possible choice of routes. That doesn't make orienteering races "meaningless concepts", but it does mean that route selection and navigation are essential parts of the exercise and affect who will win. Who wins is the same measure as here: shortest time while ticking all the required boxes.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

sizbut

Postby sizbut » 22 Oct 2018, 10:26pm

If II did do road trip of such magnitude I would aim for a slow experience so I could observe the various towns,people and scenery available,.I like the challenge of choosing a good route but have family commitments which prevent my full participation(mother,89,with Alkzheimers)

There are people even now touring the world the way you described and bravo to them. But it still doesn't excuse ranking Jenny's choice and notable achievement as "meaningless". Each to their own but if you knock we feel free to knock back.

mumbojumbo

Postby mumbojumbo » 23 Oct 2018, 9:40pm

There are people who eat copious amounts of seafood,cheeses,eggs ,bacon butties etc. seeking fame and a listing in the Budweiser Book of Buffoonery.Most people regard such people with a cocktail of sympathy and mystery.Nobody is bothered.Cycling round the world is a fine achievement,but why worry about times?How many papers are following this attempt,outside the idiosyncratic cycle press,a branch of journalism shunned even by the bulk of cyclists.

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 24 Oct 2018, 12:41pm

So take a bit of time and effort to tell us again just how uninteresting this is and how it's not worth anyone's time and effort...
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

landsurfer

Postby landsurfer » 24 Oct 2018, 5:42pm

mumbojumbo wrote:I have no wish to cycle round anywhere.

Then leave us all alone here to shower Jenny G with the congrats and plaudits she richly reserves .... "If you've nothing positive to add, add nothing."
It's not about the bike .. It's about the journey .....
The Road Goes On Forever ........................

mumbojumbo

Postby mumbojumbo » 25 Oct 2018, 10:17pm

"If you've nothing positive to add, add nothing."
The best wave of my life is still out there.

This sounds like a Philip Green injunction.If you do not want a debate join the other CTC (Chinease Torture Critics)

rualexander

Postby rualexander » 26 Oct 2018, 4:41pm

Jenny Graham is on today's Radio Scotland Out for the Weekend programme.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0000vfb

landsurfer

Postby landsurfer » 26 Oct 2018, 7:52pm

mumbojumbo wrote:
"If you've nothing positive to add, add nothing."
The best wave of my life is still out there.

This sounds like a Philip Green injunction.If you do not want a debate join the other CTC (Chinease Torture Critics)

Spelling 5/10, see me later.
If your going to spout drivel at least spell it right ..... :)

landsurfer

Postby landsurfer » 26 Oct 2018, 7:56pm

rualexander wrote:Jenny Graham is on today's Radio Scotland Out for the Weekend programme.

Podcast available on BBC / Women's hour ... although i suspect it will only be the bits about how men made the ride more difficult for her, and all the positive stuff edited out ... :lol: Regular listeners to Womxn Hour will know where i'm coming from ......

rualexander

Postby rualexander » 26 Oct 2018, 8:32pm

landsurfer wrote:
rualexander wrote:Jenny Graham is on today's Radio Scotland Out for the Weekend programme.

Podcast available on BBC / Women's hour ... although i suspect it will only be the bits about how men made the ride more difficult for her, and all the positive stuff edited out ... :lol: Regular listeners to Womxn Hour will know where i'm coming from ......

That's a completely different programme to the one I was referring to and only has 5 minutes of Jenny Graham.
The Radio Scotland programme has a full half hour interview plus further contributions throughout the show.
Maybe listen to things before you comment on them.

landsurfer

Postby landsurfer » 26 Oct 2018, 8:37pm

rualexander wrote:[

That's a completely different programme to the one I was referring to and only has 5 minutes of Jenny Graham.
The Radio Scotland programme has a full half hour interview plus further contributions throughout the show.
Maybe listen to things before you comment on them.

OH Dear !... someones snagged their tights ...
But your right, "A BBC Womxns Hour podcast is available " .. would have been better .... oops :)

P.S I look forward to her book ... and purchasing it ....