Saddles (Probably Again)

LollyKat

Re: Saddles (Probably Again)

Postby LollyKat » 19 Jan 2019, 6:48pm

Personally I (female) find the S versions of Brooks too short for me, and that I can't avoid the unyielding nose. My favourite saddles are the Spa Nidds, cheap B17 copies, to which I then add my own cutout. I haven't tried them on the back of a tandem yet but I think they would still work for me. A suspension seatpost would also be a nice luxury.

bogmyrtle

Postby bogmyrtle » 19 Jan 2019, 9:38pm

iandusud wrote:
bogmyrtle wrote:I gave up on my Brooks saddle for the same reason. I now have a Selle Italia Diva. The whole saddle is longer so the cut out extends further forward taking pressure off the soft tissue that was previously being nipped and bashed on the rock solid nose of the Brooks.

Thanks for the input. I've read this article which is insightful.

http://cyclingspokane.blogspot.com/2010 ... erial.html

I might try putting my saddle on the back of the tandem just to see if the longer cutout helps.

Cheers, Ian

That article sums up everything I've thought about Brooks cut out saddles. To work, the saddle needs to be designed around the cut out/ channel call it what you will. Just taking a lump out of an existing saddle doesn't achieve anything unless that particular part of the saddle is causing pressure. I can't see that it's possible to have a long enough and wide enough channel to be of benefit on a saddle made from a single piece of leather.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.

RickH

Postby RickH » 19 Jan 2019, 11:53pm

bogmyrtle wrote:I gave up on my Brooks saddle for the same reason. I now have a Selle Italia Diva. The whole saddle is longer so the cut out extends further forward taking pressure off the soft tissue that was previously being nipped and bashed on the rock solid nose of the Brooks.

My long term, sight impaired, tandem partner rode on the Selle Italia Diva that I had on the back of my tandem. She was happy enough riding on that for a good few thousand miles.

When she bought her own tandem it came with a Selle SMP saddle on the back, which has a droopy nose so the cutaway continues right to the front of the contact area (possibly OT note: Mark Beaumont uses Selle SMP saddles on his bikes including for his record breaking rides). After riding on that saddle for a number of months, we tried swapping back to the Diva but Clare decided she preferred the Selle SMP one.

iandusud

Postby iandusud » 20 Jan 2019, 8:46am

Thank you all for your helpful insights. I'll try her on my B17 Imperial first to see how she finds it and then go from there. I'll report back.

Ian

NickJP

Postby NickJP » 12 Feb 2019, 7:46am

My wife has been using the Selle Italia Lady Gel-Flow saddles (https://www.merlincycles.com/selle-italia-lady-gel-flow-road-saddle-62145.html) for a long time, and is quite happy with them on long multi-day tours and single day rides up to 200km. When we're touring she uses a Carradice Lowsaddle longflap saddlebag on an SQR mount. She's fairly short, and the SQR lifts the bag high enough that it doesn't sag into the rear wheel: