Beryl Burton - The Greatest

brynpoeth

Beryl Burton - The Greatest

Postby brynpoeth » 3 Sep 2018, 4:11pm

BB was the greatest sportsperson ever, she won the WBBAR 25 consecutive times and beat all the men in a 12-hour TT

She died in 1996

I think it is worth mentioning her as an amateur professional and role-model. She gained her strength working in Nim Carlines rhubarb fields in Yorkshire. I love rhubarb

Anyone here met her, or have memories? I think she should not be forgotten
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

Cunobelin

Re: Beryl Burton - The Greatest

Postby Cunobelin » 3 Sep 2018, 4:57pm

I always dislike someone being declared "the Greatest"

Yes she was an admirable woman, who achieved lots, but, is she the "Greatest"?

What about someone like Major Taylor who fought against prejudices and hardships that Burton certainly never faced.

Each athlete faces their own acheivements, challenges and problems, and has their own high and low points.

Let recognise them all as being "Great" without the need to belittle and discredit other athlete's achievements

landsurfer

Postby landsurfer » 3 Sep 2018, 8:07pm

Cunobelin wrote:I always dislike someone being declared "the Greatest"

What about someone like Major Taylor who fought against prejudices and hardships that Burton certainly never faced.

Each athlete faces their own acheivements, challenges and problems, and has their own high and low points.

Let recognise them all as being "Great" without the need to belittle and discredit other athlete's achievements

No lets not .... She is up there in the greatest list ... with Alf Engers and John Woodburn, John Pritchard et al.
Lets identify the exceptional, the best, the standard to strive towards ..... those that will encourage others.
Jasmijn has encouraged my granddaughter ... we are not all the same .. some are exceptional .. lets celebrate that ..
It's not about the bike .. It's about the journey .....
The Road Goes On Forever ........................

Spinners

Postby Spinners » 3 Sep 2018, 8:18pm

Greatest Women Cyclist - A very strong candidate.

Greatest sportsperson ever? No.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 3 Sep 2018, 8:31pm

Spinners wrote:Greatest Women Cyclist - A very strong candidate.

Who might be the greatest sportsperson ever?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

tatanab

Postby tatanab » 3 Sep 2018, 9:10pm

brynpoeth wrote:Who might be the greatest sportsperson ever?
Absolutely impossible to say. You would have to define what "sport" is to be able to compare cycling with boxing with golf with motor cycle racing with snooker with round the world yacht racing etc

landsurfer

Postby landsurfer » 3 Sep 2018, 9:13pm

Herman Bhul. For it is so ....

landsurfer

Postby landsurfer » 3 Sep 2018, 9:26pm

landsurfer wrote:Herman Bhul. For it is so ....

Dislexia .... the curse of the critic.
Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage ... inspiring ....

Spinners

Postby Spinners » 3 Sep 2018, 10:05pm

brynpoeth wrote:
Spinners wrote:Greatest Women Cyclist - A very strong candidate.

Who might be the greatest sportsperson ever?

I suppose it depends on era, nationality and possibly you're own favourite sport.

For me, Steve Redgrave would be right up there with Mo Farah Mo recently (see what I did there).
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)

NUKe

Postby NUKe » 4 Sep 2018, 6:58am

I met Beryl on several occasions, but she was just Denise’s mum, I never realised at the time, I was in the presence of cycling greatness. Denise was also a very good cyclist in her own right. Beryl used to be a regular at the Tingley common 10 but I never recall her riding it herselfThis would have been mid seventies. Also remember meeting her at the Chevin Cafe in Ilkley,

NUKe
NUKe

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 4 Sep 2018, 9:35am

Hi,
I have never met anyone.

Unfortunately "Inspire " is a loosely mostly used word today by media and politicians.
We have yet to see any improvement on what they are trying to inspire?

Big news on cycling today will fade when we can no longer produce winning cyclist.
What are people interested in today?

Its very hard to compare people from different era's.
Upbringing certainly has a lot to do with it.

Greatest is probably a word used for the moment rather than till the next.
If you keep winning then you can be called the greatest.
If You Don't Try You Don't Do.....Don't Do You Don't Get...I'm Still Trying....Well Very..
You'll Find Me At The Top Of A Hill...............Somewhere...After Dark..

The utility cyclist

Postby The utility cyclist » 4 Sep 2018, 10:47pm

landsurfer wrote:

No lets not .... She is up there in the greatest list ... with Alf Engers and John Woodburn, John Pritchard et al.
Lets identify the exceptional, the best, the standard to strive towards ..... those that will encourage others.
Jasmijn has encouraged my granddaughter ... we are not all the same .. some are exceptional .. lets celebrate that ..

I knew someone would bring up Engers, sorry but someone with no kneecap coming back after years away from the sport then smashes the record out of sight at 38 :roll: Sorry but I object at him even being uttered in the same breath as Burton, Taylor and indeed Eileen Sheriden (who is still alive and well AFAIK.), even ignoring the big doubts over his latter record breaking performance he's still not in the same class as the other three mentioned, nowhere near.

The utility cyclist

Postby The utility cyclist » 4 Sep 2018, 10:51pm

brynpoeth wrote:BB was the greatest sportsperson ever, she won the WBBAR 25 consecutive times and beat all the men in a 12-hour TT

She died in 1996

I think it is worth mentioning her as an amateur professional and role-model. She gained her strength working in Nim Carlines rhubarb fields in Yorkshire. I love rhubarb

Anyone here met her, or have memories? I think she should not be forgotten

Greatest British cyclist ever I'd give you, one of the greatest sports-persons of any sport, any era, I'd even give you that, her achievements are superlative amongst her peers, claiming she is the greatest sportsperson ever is an extreme view/opinion that I've never ever heard even from the most ardent fans of Burton, me included. In my opinion I don't think she is, I could spend a long time disproving it but it's not worth it, she's a world great, let's leave it at that.

pete75

Postby pete75 » 5 Sep 2018, 12:39am

The utility cyclist wrote:
landsurfer wrote:

I knew someone would bring up Engers, sorry but someone with no kneecap coming back after years away from the sport then smashes the record out of sight at 38 :roll: Sorry but I object at him even being uttered in the same breath as Burton, Taylor and indeed Eileen Sheriden (who is still alive and well AFAIK.), even ignoring the big doubts over his latter record breaking performance he's still not in the same class as the other three mentioned, nowhere near.

What doubts? The man did come back at 38 and broke the record. It's a fact.

The utility cyclist

Postby The utility cyclist » 5 Sep 2018, 5:28am

So you see no suspicion in that achievement? I do, it stinks, well past his prime, dodgy knee or rather no kneecap at all, out the sport for years and then smashes 1m24s off the record, whatever.
Even if it was done legit (and personally I don't think it was, it's too incredible a comeback that even Burton couldn't achieve for goodness sakes) he's still nowhere near the others mentioned.