Jess Varnish ..

landsurfer

Re: Jess Varnish ..

Postby landsurfer » 17 Jan 2019, 7:40pm

Good god ! i haven't got a clue about JV's past performance ... i had never heard of her until this all kicked off ... i am a cyclist ... not a fan .... Believe she has won some good medals before her career was ended with BC ... but only through the media ... never followed her ...
RSF.
Audax UK.
The road goes on forever.

TrevA

Postby TrevA » 17 Jan 2019, 8:37pm

landsurfer wrote:
Norman H wrote:The unfair treatment hinges on whether her removal from the elite programme was justified or whether it was retribution for going public on management shortcoming at British Cycling. Sadly that's not been tested.

There are quite a few on here who are good with stats ..
How do JV's stats look against fellow riders .. Kenny and Archibald where her peers .. at the time it all kicked off .... I think.

Not really. Laura Kenny and Katie Archibald are endurance riders. Jess is a sprinter, so you are comparing apples with oranges.

I've met Jess a few times when she was younger, as she was on the BC Talent Team development squad at the same time as my son, so I've followed her career.

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 18 Jan 2019, 12:33pm

landsurfer wrote:
Norman H wrote:The unfair treatment hinges on whether her removal from the elite programme was justified or whether it was retribution for going public on management shortcoming at British Cycling. Sadly that's not been tested.

There are quite a few on here who are good with stats ..
How do JV's stats look against fellow riders .. Kenny and Archibald where her peers .. at the time it all kicked off .... I think.

No, JV was in the sprint squad, LK and KA are Endurance. For a few years now the women's Endurance squad has been as close as anyone in track cycling has got to a golden-egg laying goose, the sprinters not so much since Victoria Pendleton retired. Because the emphasis is on being on the podium at World Cups and (especially) Olympics, rather than being the best available in Britain, the Endurance and Sprint squads are treated very differently.

While there is a case that getting Elite funding should require you to be Elite at world level rather than UK level (where they are different), a few years ago (but only a few, so the same sort of timeframe this mess is connected with) BC didn't take up any Elite Women's spaces in the Road World Championship TT, using the justification that the available candidates were unlikely to win medals and thus the expense of sending them couldn't be justified. Gaining experience at that level didn't seem to count for anything or be worth spending money on. The same sort of reasoning never seemed to apply to men in other events where Brits were also-rans. There was a fair bit of excrement/air conditioning interface about that (and rightly so IMO) and BC seem to have learned that particular lesson now, but it illustrates they did have sexism lessons to learn in this timeframe.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...