Women's Gravel bike sizing

ainitaalias

Women's Gravel bike sizing

Postby ainitaalias » 1 Feb 2019, 10:06am

I am struggling to look for a relatively good Gravel bike due to my size. I am 4' 10" (inseam 26.5") . I have looked at all the known websites for a gravel bike that will be suitable for my size but unfortunately I have not been able to find one that is small enough for me. Appreciate any suggestions please.

Thank you.

reohn2

Re: Women's Gravel bike sizing

Postby reohn2 » 1 Feb 2019, 10:46am

Have you looked at Islabikes?
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 1 Feb 2019, 11:15am

Or a premium Junior bike, of which there are many nowadays, with 26" or 650Bs, perhaps?

ainitaalias

Postby ainitaalias » 1 Feb 2019, 7:41pm

reohn2 wrote:Have you looked at Islabikes?

Thank you . Yes I have looked at Islabikes but I prefer adult ladies bike.

ainitaalias

Postby ainitaalias » 1 Feb 2019, 7:42pm

Bonefishblues wrote:Or a premium Junior bike, of which there are many nowadays, with 26" or 650Bs, perhaps?

P

I considered it but not for me. I’d prefer an adult’s bike

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 1 Feb 2019, 7:46pm

I think you're going to be limited to 26inch 650b wheelsize and may need to go custom.
Have you checked out Thorn or Spa cycles?
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 1 Feb 2019, 8:01pm

ainitaalias wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Or a premium Junior bike, of which there are many nowadays, with 26" or 650Bs, perhaps?

P

I'm not sure there's a difference tbh., certainly at the premium end like Worx et al I should perhaps have termed it 'junior' :wink: See example below

An xs hybrid converted to drop bars, maybe?

https://www.bikes2udirect.com/B7603.htm ... RnEALw_wcB

Adult bike:
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/kon ... g_EALw_wcB

ainitaalias

Postby ainitaalias » 2 Feb 2019, 12:49am

reohn2 wrote:I think you're going to be limited to 26inch 650b wheelsize and may need to go custom.
Bonefishblues wrote:
ainitaalias wrote:

P

I'm not sure there's a difference tbh., certainly at the premium end like Worx et al I should perhaps have termed it 'junior' :wink: See example below

Adult bike:

Thank you, these are helpful

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 2 Feb 2019, 9:17am

ainitaalias wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I think you're going to be limited to 26inch 650b wheelsize and may need to go custom.
Bonefishblues wrote:
ainitaalias wrote:P

Adult bike:

Thank you, these are helpful

Just apropos of the Genesis, my daughter rides a 24" wheeled one, and I can confirm it's beautifully built and finished. It also has the brazings to fit the cable for a front mech, were you minded to put a double chainring on at some point in the future.

ETA
Same frame, double chainset:
https://www.biketart.com/bikes-c1/kids- ... 2REALw_wcB . (Biketart are very good, by the way, having used them - you might even get another 10% off via a code, as we did)

2017 CX cheaper, you might prefer these graphics?: https://www.singletrackbikes.co.uk/m1b1 ... jkEALw_wcB

Slow morning here in Bonefish Towers :D

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 2 Feb 2019, 5:08pm

ainitaalias wrote:

What is about a notional "adult's bike" that you prefer? The primary distinction between different models of the Islabikes Luath Pro is nothing but size: they all cost the same and have basically the same spec (which is good) and the only difference from an "adult" bike is they're sized for smaller than average-adult riders.

The Luath Pro has been discontinued and they're selling off the remainder for a grand at the moment. It's a 'cross bike rather than particularly a "gravel bike", but it should manage pretty much the same stuff. Designed by a former national 'cross champion aiming to give an edge for smaller competitors, so don't let "children's bike" put you off.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

ainitaalias

Postby ainitaalias » 2 Feb 2019, 6:24pm

pjclinch wrote:
ainitaalias wrote:

What is about a notional "adult's bike" that you prefer? The primary distinction between different models of the Islabikes Luath Pro is nothing but size: they all cost the same and have basically the same spec (which is good) and the only difference from an "adult" bike is they're sized for smaller than average-adult riders.

The Luath Pro has been discontinued and they're selling off the remainder for a grand at the moment. It's a 'cross bike rather than particularly a "gravel bike", but it should manage pretty much the same stuff. Designed by a former national 'cross champion aiming to give an edge for smaller competitors, so don't let "children's bike" put you off.

Pete.

Thanks Pete for the advice. I take a look at this too.

Tricyclebell

Postby Tricyclebell » 26 Feb 2019, 8:09pm

I am 4ft 10 inch and have always had custom frames but recently I bought a child's Frog bike which has 26 inch wheels and 145 mm cranks. The bike is incredibly comfortable (more comfortable than my custom bikes) and fairly light. Frog have put a lot of thought into the geometry for a small person. I have always ridden 160mm cranks and thought the 145 mm would be far to small but I am delighted with them. Like you I was a bit dubious about going 'child' status but have been very pleasantly surprised so do not dismiss this option entirely. There is quite a bit on the 'Bike Radar' site relating to bikes for small women. Its a mine field so good luck.

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 26 Feb 2019, 8:23pm

Tricyclebell wrote:I am 4ft 10 inch and have always had custom frames but recently I bought a child's Frog bike which has 26 inch wheels and 145 mm cranks. The bike is incredibly comfortable (more comfortable than my custom bikes) and fairly light. Frog have put a lot of thought into the geometry for a small person. I have always ridden 160mm cranks and thought the 145 mm would be far to small but I am delighted with them. Like you I was a bit dubious about going 'child' status but have been very pleasantly surprised so do not dismiss this option entirely. There is quite a bit on the 'Bike Radar' site relating to bikes for small women. Its a mine field so good luck.

Good advice. Interestingly, to me the larger Frogs have always looked overlong, so good to hear a user's perspective.