Woman Topic About Cycle Shorts and the Monthly

Tyre Lady

Woman Topic About Cycle Shorts and the Monthly

Postby Tyre Lady » 6 Mar 2019, 1:04am

Hi All - Was at a cycle shop looking for padded shorts.
I understand that they should be worn without underwear.

Have no problems except when my monthly is on + I will be trying to complete 2000+ miles over 2 months with 2 runs thrown in.

Would like to know what women do when that happens. Are there padded shorts where the padded part can unclip so that a good wash can be given if there is blood on it or do I need to wear something else in addition. Grateful for sisterly help in this area

p.s. I am a rookie
Low carbon, zero waste running journey

eileithyia

Re: Woman Topic About Cycle Shorts and the Monthly

Postby eileithyia » 6 Mar 2019, 8:16am

Think it can depend on your period and how heavy it can be.
Can you avoid cycling on a 'heavy' day? Or do shorter rides? I used to commute 17 miles one way, and would wear pants under my shorts on those days with no problems of chaffing etc...
if shorts got marked I would just cold soak them and then wash as normal....
Sometimes it is a case of trial and error to find what suits you and your body.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

Tyre Lady

Postby Tyre Lady » 6 Mar 2019, 1:30pm

Thanks @eileithyia -
Have found cycling under shorts and wonder if that could be used with padded shorts? Hmm might feel like a thick pad underneath which would be uncomfortable. Does anyone use a breathable padded pair of shorts they would recommend?

I would like to keep moving as much as possible as have a timeframe to get to my destinations

landsurfer

Postby landsurfer » 6 Mar 2019, 5:27pm

Me not him ...
Mirena Coil ..... say goodbye to the problem ..

Jules ......
“I’m responsible only for what I say, not what you understand.”

The Road Goes on Forever.

Tyre Lady

Postby Tyre Lady » 6 Mar 2019, 6:31pm

Thank you Landsurfer. I prefer to keep everything natural.
No worries I'll work it out. Gonna focus on seat rather than shorts

531colin

Postby 531colin » 6 Mar 2019, 7:06pm

This may be worth a read....https://lovelybike.blogspot.com/search?q=saddle+sore
Theres also this from Steve Hogg about bike fit for women https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/sensitive_issues.pdf and more ..https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/portfolio-item/more-sensitive-issues/
I'm just a bloke, and I don't wear any sort of bum padding at all, ever, or apply any sort of cream, ever.....but then its easier for blokes.**
Having said I don't use any sort of padding, I think that padded cycling underwear is intended to be worn underneath unpadded shorts (or unpadded longs)….perhaps somebody who wears the stuff can comment. The underwear may dry quicker, I don't know.
There is a simple guide to bike fit with my signature.....happy reading!

**its easier due to anatomy of the genitals, and also because bikes have evolved to fit the "average male" height. Women who are as tall as the "average male" don't have anything like as much trouble as smaller women. I ride with a woman who is just about five feet tall; her wheels and brake levers are exactly the same size as a mans, who might be over six feet tall. Ridiculous.

Tyre Lady

Postby Tyre Lady » 6 Mar 2019, 10:06pm

Thank you 531Colin for the articles. They are perfectly timed.
Appreciate your time writing and reposting them :D

bogmyrtle

Postby bogmyrtle » 7 Mar 2019, 7:43am

I'm a bit confused. What sanitary products are you using?
I've always worn padded shorts and use tampons with a pant liner stuck directly on the padding on the shorts to deal with any leaks.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 7 Mar 2019, 8:23am

bogmyrtle wrote:I'm a bit confused. What sanitary products are you using?
I've always worn padded shorts and use tampons with a pant liner stuck directly on the padding on the shorts to deal with any leaks.

Was going to add to post; Certainly on light days I would use a panty liner directly on to shorts. I did consider discussing tampons, but not everyone can use them, i found I was increasingly susceptible to thrush when I used them. But certainly the thought of extra padding in the form of a sanitary pad was not an attractive thought either.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

Tyre Lady

Postby Tyre Lady » 7 Mar 2019, 10:12am

I use a menstrual cup and reusable liners. But with all the talk of not using underwear, thought the liners would be the same and get bunched up
Think will clip the reusable liners on with a couple of safety pins and try it out.

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 8 Mar 2019, 9:01am

While it is the case that padded lycra cycling shorts are designed for no underwear and you'll not see any "VPL" in the pro-pelotons of either sex, it's also the case that lots of people (both sexes) do wear underpants under cycling shorts. So don't rule out underpants as a possible part of a solution without giving them a try. It may be that the downsides of wearing them are less significant than the upsides.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

Tyre Lady

Postby Tyre Lady » 8 Mar 2019, 5:49pm

Thanks pjclinch. Many have warned me not to wear underwear that it went into my "do not do list"
So appreciate what you have told me. Have been cycling around with a new seat. 4 hours and no problems so far.
Which makes me think if I really need padded shorts and if I can simply go with what I've got.

Might get a cheap pair to see if there is really any difference. It is reassuring that 531colin has said he doesn't wear padded shorts and assuming he just wears whatever. Am thinking it is a good freedom

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 8 Mar 2019, 9:24pm

Tyre Lady wrote:Might get a cheap pair to see if there is really any difference. It is reassuring that 531colin has said he doesn't wear padded shorts and assuming he just wears whatever. Am thinking it is a good freedom

Though of course the cheap ones tend to make less difference...

I don't really bother with cycling shorts much any more, at least on my own saddles, though on a borrowed/rented sporty bike I do find they make a useful difference. For touring I cheat by using a recumbent with a big comfy chair, but if I'm using one of my "normal" bikes I'm fine for ~35 miles as long as I've got good trousers for the job (usually stretchy and without chunky crotch seams to chafe) and using a stretchy pair of wicking "base layer" undies. It probably helps that I tend not to be in much of a hurry. My wife uses padded shorts on her racing bike but otherwise doesn't bother.

So a saddle that suits you well and not using any old trousers/pants may mean no need to bother. There is a tendency in the UK's enthusiast led cycling scene to rather over-do things with All The Right Gear; I was on a local CTC chapter trundle last weekend and I felt remarkably under-dressed in no special bike gear other than my shoes, everyone else looked ripe for a race!

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

Tyre Lady

Postby Tyre Lady » 12 Mar 2019, 4:00pm

Thanks Pete. I just tried "any old trousers" on a 3 hour cycle the yesterday and only seen this post now!!
Had to strip down to shorts that I had on underneath cos the trousers really were bothersome.

My cuz just gave me her Padded shorts!!! So one item less to bother about. Now to find out about whether I should bother with a garmin or continue to use my phone :)

Thank you all on this thread :D

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 12 Mar 2019, 10:16pm

I think this might be something where everyone has to figure things out for themselves, but, what I did is wear cycling shorts and use tampons.
I did have the occasional leak on cycling shorts, but it never showed. I did try pads and panty liners, but they scrunched up uncomfortably.

I think cycling shorts need changing every day, anyway. I always take 3 pairs, and wash the ones I wore that day at night. One pair on, one pair drying, and one pair clean. They don't always dry overnight, but they generally dry enough to be packed. Some people only take two, but I really dislike putting on damp cycling shorts. I'd rather carry the extra pair than risk it.

I also try to wash my shorts properly once every week or two, stopping somewhere and using a laundrette or something.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom