Page 2 of 2

Re: Woman Topic About Cycle Shorts and the Monthly

Posted: 13 Mar 2019, 3:39pm
by Tyre Lady
Thanks Vorpal. My cuz gave me 3 pairs so that plan works perfectly. going out to test one :)

Re: Woman Topic About Cycle Shorts and the Monthly

Posted: 13 Mar 2019, 4:50pm
by mjr
pjclinch wrote:
Tyre Lady wrote:Might get a cheap pair to see if there is really any difference. It is reassuring that 531colin has said he doesn't wear padded shorts and assuming he just wears whatever. Am thinking it is a good freedom


Though of course the cheap ones tend to make less difference...

Whereas I found that they did make a difference. Once I started doing longer rides, they damn near cut me in two! :shock: - but that was an improvement on the more expensive ones, which nearly cut me in four (once in front of each hip, in addition to the same place)... :roll:

I just wear whatever. If I make the mistake of buying something which I can't cycle in, it doesn't stay among my regular clothing. Similarly if it wears out quickly while cycling: special mention and slow handclap for Burtons for suddenly downgrading the durability of their plain black office trousers some years ago - frayed ankles in about two rides plus a day or two of walking about office complexes, IIRC.

if I'm using one of my "normal" bikes I'm fine for ~35 miles as long as I've got good trousers for the job (usually stretchy and without chunky crotch seams to chafe) and using a stretchy pair of wicking "base layer" undies.

I don't get on well with stretchy, but well-placed flat seams are a must for consecutive longer days riding IMO - which can make buying online a bit difficult because few web shops show sufficient seam detail.

Oh and back to the knickers/underpants under shorts thing: I'm fairly sure I know both sorts of rider (edit: because some people have asked me discreetly during the rides if they're odd for doing it "wrong", over the years), if you see what I mean, but it's not really a topic of conversation, partly because most people ain't gonna discuss what's in their shorts at the cake stop and I suspect partly for fear that there'll be a commando hardliner among the riders who will get far too cross about other people doing it wrong.

Re: Woman Topic About Cycle Shorts and the Monthly

Posted: 13 Mar 2019, 6:40pm
by Tyre Lady
Thanks MJR - that did make me laugh.

Have just tried padded shorts with safety pinning the reusable cloth pads on. Seems to be okay though guess there is always the possibility of me stabbing myself somehow! Anyhow this would also mean I could just switch over to inserting the cloth pads as these are very quick dry than the big pad in the shorts! BTW I made my own liners by cutting up a microfiber cleaning cloth into 3 parts and pin to undies. Have saved sooo much money and they work really well!

Re: Woman Topic About Cycle Shorts and the Monthly

Posted: 14 Mar 2019, 12:19pm
by Vorpal
Tyre Lady wrote:Thanks MJR - that did make me laugh.

Have just tried padded shorts with safety pinning the reusable cloth pads on. Seems to be okay though guess there is always the possibility of me stabbing myself somehow! Anyhow this would also mean I could just switch over to inserting the cloth pads as these are very quick dry than the big pad in the shorts! BTW I made my own liners by cutting up a microfiber cleaning cloth into 3 parts and pin to undies. Have saved sooo much money and they work really well!

Some companies do make removable inserts,with and without shorts, for example https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/rebishchpad.html
I don't use such things, so I don't know others, or if they work as advertised. They appear to have good reviews. Maybe someone else has some suggestions.

Another company makes (used to make?) underwear with removeable inserts. I don't remember which, but I'm sure they've been discussed on the forum before and will have a look.

Re: Woman Topic About Cycle Shorts and the Monthly

Posted: 14 Mar 2019, 6:00pm
by Tyre Lady
Thanks Vorpal. That does look promising.

Re: Woman Topic About Cycle Shorts and the Monthly

Posted: 14 Mar 2019, 10:44pm
by Vorpal
Vorpal wrote:Another company makes (used to make?) underwear with removeable inserts. I don't remember which, but I'm sure they've been discussed on the forum before and will have a look.

Well, I didn't find much in my search. It's been mentioned a few times, but no links or specific recommendations.

Re: Woman Topic About Cycle Shorts and the Monthly

Posted: 15 Mar 2019, 10:06am
by Tyre Lady
Thanks for checking Vorpal. Anyhoo think am sorted now :)

Re: Woman Topic About Cycle Shorts and the Monthly

Posted: 24 Mar 2019, 4:31pm
by orangebiker
Definitely wear clean shorts every day no matter what time of the month. Wearing dirty shorts you will end up with saddle sores especially if you are fairly new to it. Plus it's really demoralising putting on dirty shorts.
Other option would be take padded cycling undies and wear a thin pair of running shorts over the top.

For the other question I advise mooncup. You would need to start using it asap as there is a learning curve (of about 3 months) but once used to it there will probably be a lot less leaking (or none) and they only need emptied every 12 hours. Better for the planet and doesn't cause thrush, and no annoying string.

Re: Woman Topic About Cycle Shorts and the Monthly

Posted: 16 Apr 2019, 9:36pm
by Tyre Lady
Just to say have found the cheap pair of cycle shorts ok (preloved). Also using menstrual cup and also have been pinning a reusable cloth on the cycle shorts pad and only washing that. All has worked well. No issues except on the 7-8th day when I had at least 4 cysts down below. Thankfully all cleared up quickly

Re: Woman Topic About Cycle Shorts and the Monthly

Posted: 21 Apr 2019, 1:25am
by MrsHJ
Vorpal wrote:
Vorpal wrote:Another company makes (used to make?) underwear with removeable inserts. I don't remember which, but I'm sure they've been discussed on the forum before and will have a look.

Well, I didn't find much in my search. It's been mentioned a few times, but no links or specific recommendations.


Nalini is probably the one. I didn’t like the insert pads though- I loved my old nalini shorts before they changed the design.

My preference these days is Corinne Dennis shorts.

Re: Woman Topic About Cycle Shorts and the Monthly

Posted: 24 Apr 2019, 8:36am
by Yvonned
I’ve been wearing Corrine Dennis shorts, 3/4s and full length leggings for years now. Find them very comfortable.