Maternity cycle wear

orangebiker

Maternity cycle wear

Postby orangebiker » 24 Mar 2019, 4:36pm

I literally cannot find maternity cycle clothes available at all. Does anyone have any sources for this?
Maybe there is a running t shirt with a pocket in?
I like having pockets in my jersey and none of my stuff fits any more.
Grateful for any suggestions!

Vorpal

Re: Maternity cycle wear

Postby Vorpal » 24 Mar 2019, 6:59pm

I had a couple of old pairs of shorts where I just clipped the elastic waist band in front and wore them under my bump. I gave up wearing jerseys, and just wore oversized t-shirts. I had a waterproof jacket that was a couple of sizes too big with zip pockets on the sides. That worked okay. You can probably get something like that at TK Maxx, or on discount at an outfitter. You can probably apply the same principle to cycling stuff. It's likely to be a bit more expensive, but if hasn't had much use, you can sell it later?

I mostly wore stuff that was just 'make do' rather than designed for pregnant women to cycle. The couple of places where I made the mistake of asking, I was either told that I shouldn't, anyway, or informed that there was 'no demand' :roll:

Sheila Moon were doing cycling maternity wear, but they closed shop a couple of years ago. https://totalwomenscycling.com/lifestyl ... g-clothing has some reviews of maternity cycling clothes. It's a few years old, but maybe there are some leads, there.

Good luck with it!
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 25 Mar 2019, 11:45am

My ex had some lycra shorts he did not get on with and I inherited them... I think some of my earlier cycling tops were a little more generously sized than my more recent stuff, so I just got away with those stretching over the bump... (quite a bit of it was small mens) and the lycra was quite stretchy.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

LollyKat

Postby LollyKat » 26 Mar 2019, 10:25am

Most of my life I cycled in (carefully chosen) normal clothes so my pregnancies in the 1980s weren't an issue. Only within the last ten years did I start using lycra for longer runs and touring. All my utility riding is still done in ordinary clothes.

orangebiker

Postby orangebiker » 26 Mar 2019, 1:28pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I cycle to work in normal clothes but for long rides (several hours) I like having a jersey with pockets. Surely men's stuff will just have huge shoulders rather than more space at the waist? I appreciate that cycling has become a bit clothing obsessed and 20 years ago everyone just rode in their jeans and t shirts..but everyone else now wears the lycra and I will just look like a tramp in a baggy men's top. First world problems!

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 26 Mar 2019, 1:53pm

orangebiker wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. I cycle to work in normal clothes but for long rides (several hours) I like having a jersey with pockets. Surely men's stuff will just have huge shoulders rather than more space at the waist? I appreciate that cycling has become a bit clothing obsessed and 20 years ago everyone just rode in their jeans and t shirts..but everyone else now wears the lycra and I will just look like a tramp in a baggy men's top. First world problems!

Yes, Men's stuff will have broader shoulders, but it will generally also be longer, and bigger around. So, there will be some unneeded material around the shoulders, but lycra is quite stretchy, so I don't think that it's so much more that it looks bad.

Otherwise, if you have a sewing machine, you could just sew some stretchy panels in on the sides of jerseys that fit you?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom