PJ520

Rebecca Twigg

Postby PJ520 » 17 Apr 2019, 4:25pm

A sad story from my local paper about an Olympic medalist
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West

Brucey

Re: Rebecca Twigg

Postby Brucey » 17 Apr 2019, 7:38pm

very sad indeed, to see someone who is/was an icon to many, end up this way.

https://bikeretrogrouch.blogspot.com/2015/03/whatever-happened-to-rebecca-twigg.html

lets hope she finds some better path.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

borisface

Postby borisface » 17 Apr 2019, 8:05pm

Yes a story whose main themes is very current.

Hobbs1951

Postby Hobbs1951 » 18 Apr 2019, 9:56am

A sad story, one of the USAs greatest cyclists...saw her ride in the 1992 Olympics.

J.

PJ520

Postby PJ520 » 18 Apr 2019, 5:34pm

This is Angels Fear to Tread territory but I'll go there anyway. In Brucey's pictures Rebecca isn't wearing a helmet and the one she is wearing in the article looks more decorative than functional. An article in the New York Times got me wondering if she had had any head injuries which may have contributed to her problems (They certainly wouldn't have helped) I've sent an email to the author of the article to see if he knows. I'll keep you posted.

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 18 Apr 2019, 6:12pm

PJ520 wrote:This is Angels Fear to Tread territory but I'll go there anyway. In Brucey's pictures Rebecca isn't wearing a helmet and the one she is wearing in the article looks more decorative than functional. An article in the New York Times got me wondering if she had had any head injuries which may have contributed to her problems (They certainly wouldn't have helped) I've sent an email to the author of the article to see if he knows. I'll keep you posted.

Fools rush in ...so a helmet can now substitute for years of poor nurturing?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

Tao

Postby Tao » 18 Apr 2019, 6:31pm

Brucey wrote:very sad indeed, to see someone who is/was an icon to many, end up this way.

lets hope she finds some better path.

Truly outstanding athlete.

Bears an uncanny resemblance to her great rival Connie Carpenter too, another of the great American cyclists from that era. :wink:

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 18 Apr 2019, 7:39pm

PJ520 wrote:This is Angels Fear to Tread territory but I'll go there anyway. In Brucey's pictures Rebecca isn't wearing a helmet and the one she is wearing in the article looks more decorative than functional. An article in the New York Times got me wondering if she had had any head injuries which may have contributed to her problems (They certainly wouldn't have helped) I've sent an email to the author of the article to see if he knows. I'll keep you posted.

Back then pretty much nobody outside of a few people wanting extra aero for TT wore them. There seems to be some widespread assumption these days that cycling is practically asking to bang your head against things in long-term brain damaging ways, forgetting that over the history of cycling it's been very few years, and comparatively few places, that anyone's been worried about helmets, and over none of the history has there been a track record of problems which might lead one to assume that riding a bike without a helmet is a likely cause of mental health issues.

This is almost certainly a blind alley and not worth investigation. I'm not saying banging your head can't induce a personality change, but cycling is not particularly productive of banged heads (far more happen in car crashes and trips and falls). Competitive cycling certainly sees its share of mental health issues though (e.g., Victoria Pendleton, Peter Kennaugh, Graeme Obree).

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

PJ520

Postby PJ520 » 18 Apr 2019, 9:36pm

pjclinch wrote:over none of the history has there been a track record of problems which might lead one to assume that riding a bike without a helmet is a likely cause of mental health issues.

This is almost certainly a blind alley and not worth investigation. I'm not saying banging your head can't induce a personality change, but cycling is not particularly productive of banged heads (far more happen in car crashes and trips and falls). Competitive cycling certainly sees its share of mental health issues though (e.g., Victoria Pendleton, Peter Kennaugh, Graeme Obree).

Pete.
You may well be right. Some of these issues however don't show up until later in life. I've seen old football players with dementia that they reckon was caused by heading balls. These cases get attention because they were once at the top of their game.

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 19 Apr 2019, 10:13am

Seems plausible that heading balls thousands of times (training!) might damage the brain :?
Sportspersons have irregular abnormal lives, many of the conditions for good mental health may not apply
Many have to retire suddenly after injury, a great upheaval, being rich may not help if the personality has not grown with the bank balance

Besides, back then, she did not get paid an awful lot and doubtless had to spend on travel, accommodation etc
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 19 Apr 2019, 12:57pm

PJ520 wrote:
pjclinch wrote:over none of the history has there been a track record of problems which might lead one to assume that riding a bike without a helmet is a likely cause of mental health issues.

You may well be right. Some of these issues however don't show up until later in life. I've seen old football players with dementia that they reckon was caused by heading balls. These cases get attention because they were once at the top of their game.

The difference there being that heading balls is a primary function for footballers, where whacking one's head in a bike crash is something that might happen if it goes wrong. Much like, for example, people in "normal life" negotiating a staircase, or getting out of the bath on to a smooth floor.

The implicit assumption is that a professional rider not wearing a helmet is an "obvious" pointer to mental health worries, and we just really don't have any sort of basis to go there, unless you're overly paranoid about the frequency and severity of head injuries for professional cyclists. Without knowing for sure, it's far, far more likely to be any number of other things.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

Hobbs1951

Postby Hobbs1951 » 19 Apr 2019, 4:43pm

Always amuses me how threads develop into endless hyperbole and speculation about a subject, it is very sad that Rebecca Twigg is homeless does the forum have to continue to speculate as to the why ?

All I can say is she struck me as super nice person when I had a brief chat with her (in '92) when I asked her to sign my programme.

John.

PH

Postby PH » 20 Apr 2019, 12:46am

Brucey wrote:very sad indeed, to see someone who is/was an icon to many, end up this way.

Very sad that anyone should be struggling to find their place in the world, regardless of any previous status or admiration.
What it ought to do is remind us that it can happen to anyone and it's foolish to think otherwise.

sjs

Postby sjs » 20 Apr 2019, 1:40am

PH wrote:

Very sad that anyone should be struggling to find their place in the world, regardless of any previous status or admiration.
What it ought to do is remind us that it can happen to anyone and it's foolish to think otherwise.

+1

Tao

Postby Tao » 20 Apr 2019, 11:49am

Hobbs1951 wrote:Always amuses me how threads develop into endless hyperbole and speculation about a subject, it is very sad that Rebecca Twigg is homeless does the forum have to continue to speculate as to the why ?

All I can say is she struck me as super nice person when I had a brief chat with her (in '92) when I asked her to sign my programme.

John.

Indeed. It appears that at least one of those speculating on her health wouldn't know her from Adam. PJ520 states that in one of the photos Brucey posted, "Rebecca isn't wearing a helmet", when in actual fact it's a photo of Connie Carpenter. Risible really.