Rebecca Twigg

1982john

Re: Rebecca Twigg

Postby 1982john » 20 Apr 2019, 6:03pm

PJ520 wrote:This is Angels Fear to Tread territory but I'll go there anyway. In Brucey's pictures Rebecca isn't wearing a helmet and the one she is wearing in the article looks more decorative than functional. An article in the New York Times got me wondering if she had had any head injuries which may have contributed to her problems (They certainly wouldn't have helped) I've sent an email to the author of the article to see if he knows. I'll keep you posted.

i've been looking back at photos of pedestrians crossing roads in the 70s and 80s. None of them are wearing helmets either. This goes a long way to explain the state of britain's mental health I think.

slowster

Postby slowster » 20 Apr 2019, 7:03pm

Scientific Method - look for evidence that refutes your hypothesis.

Evangelical Helmet Wearers - look for evidence that supports your confirmation bias. Any evidence. It doesn't matter if it's rubbish. If necessary just make some up. Failing that resort to anecdata about how you or someone a friend of a friend knew would have died if they hadn't worn a helmet.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 20 Apr 2019, 9:16pm

oops yes, they er, could be mistaken for one another, ahem.

twigg (I think....)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_doping_cases_in_cycling

mentions that her, future husband Whitehead and others were blood doping at the 1984 Olympics. It wasn't strictly speaking illegal at the time (it was made illegal shortly afterwards), but much of the US team refused to have anything to do with it when it was offered.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PJ520

Postby PJ520 » 20 Apr 2019, 11:56pm

1982john wrote:i've been looking back at photos of pedestrians crossing roads in the 70s and 80s. None of them are wearing helmets either. This goes a long way to explain the state of britain's mental health I think.
Facetious snark is a risk you take in angels fear to tread terrain. Hey ho.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West

TrevA

Postby TrevA » 30 Apr 2019, 3:10pm

Brucey wrote:very sad indeed, to see someone who is/was an icon to many, end up this way.

https://bikeretrogrouch.blogspot.com/2015/03/whatever-happened-to-rebecca-twigg.html

lets hope she finds some better path.

Late to the party, but surely that second picture is Connie Carpenter-Phinney?

I remember seeing Rebecca Twigg at the 1982 World Track Champs in Leicester. She was one of my favourite female riders of the time. Sad that she’s ended up as she has.

Spinners

Postby Spinners » 30 Apr 2019, 3:33pm

Yes, a very sad story and let's hope she has a better future ahead of her. It must be hard to be so driven and focused, ieading to success and fame, and then having to slot in to normal life without having any appreciable money in the bank and, in her case, not even a home. Contrast this with today's overpaid Premier League footballers who are probably set for life even before their mid-20's.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 30 Apr 2019, 7:36pm

Many footballers get into financial trouble later, their bank balances develop faster than their personalities :? If one is unlucky and gets injured the fun could end at any time
Is Peter Sagan obscenely rich?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 30 Apr 2019, 7:52pm

PH wrote:
Brucey wrote:very sad indeed, to see someone who is/was an icon to many, end up this way.

Very sad that anyone should be struggling to find their place in the world, regardless of any previous status or admiration.
What it ought to do is remind us that it can happen to anyone and it's foolish to think otherwise.

Quite!
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 1 May 2019, 9:02am

brynpoeth wrote:Is Peter Sagan obscenely rich?

For Some Values of "Obscenely", at least...

The top World Tour Riders are on millionaire salaries (when Sagan signed with Tinkoff it was confirmed at 4.5 M Euros/year). A 2016 set of budget estimates for TdF teams looked like this...

Team Sky – €35m
Katusha – €32m
BMC – €28m
Tinkoff – €25m
Astana – €20m
Etixx-Quick Step – €18m
Movistar – €15m
Lotto-Soudal – €14m
LottoNL-Jumbo – €14m
Dimension Data – €13.5m
Orica-BikeExchange – €13m
Giant-Alpecin – €12.5m
Trek-Segafredo – €12m
Ag2r La Mondiale – €12m
Cofidis – €11m
IAM Cycling – €10.5m
FDJ – €10m
Cannondale – €10m
Lampre-Merida – €7m
Direct Energie – €6m
Bora-Argon 18 – €4.5m
Fortuneo-Vital Concept – €3.5m

So his salary was the same as the entire team budget of a leading Pro Continental team.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 1 May 2019, 9:10am

pjclinch wrote:
........So his salary was the same as the entire team budget of a leading Pro Continental team.

Pete.

And almost a 5th of the team's total budget :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 1 May 2019, 12:47pm

Since this is the women's issues board, perhaps worth a note of the appalling disparity between the likes of Sky/Ineos and the ladies' World Tour.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/cost-team-sky-womens-squad-drop-ocean-compared-mens-budget-411474 doesn't get in to specific numbers for specific outfits but suggests a typical wome's pro team annual budget is about 150K. Unsusprisingly, a lot of female pros (or rather, notional pros) find they need another job to do the bill-paying stuff. The likes of Boels will have a lot more cash than the likes of BePink, but it'll still be ridiculous compared to the boys :(

See also Nicole Cooke's Breakaway for the "glamorous" life of one of the world's top female pros (again the case that things have come on, but they've still got a very long way to go)

Pete.

RickH

Postby RickH » 1 May 2019, 1:34pm

pjclinch wrote:Since this is the women's issues board, perhaps worth a note of the appalling disparity between the likes of Sky/Ineos and the ladies' World Tour.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/cost-team-sky-womens-squad-drop-ocean-compared-mens-budget-411474 doesn't get in to specific numbers for specific outfits but suggests a typical wome's pro team annual budget is about 150K. Unsusprisingly, a lot of female pros (or rather, notional pros) find they need another job to do the bill-paying stuff. The likes of Boels will have a lot more cash than the likes of BePink, but it'll still be ridiculous compared to the boys :(

See also Nicole Cooke's Breakaway for the "glamorous" life of one of the world's top female pros (again the case that things have come on, but they've still got a very long way to go)

Maybe it is time to make is compulsory for World Tour teams to have a women's squad. A number of them do already.

rfryer

Postby rfryer » 1 May 2019, 2:27pm

RickH wrote:[
Maybe it is time to make is compulsory for World Tour teams to have a women's squad. A number of them do already.

Or insist on mixed squads, and have separate jerseys for men and women in each category? Could lead to interesting tactics, the option of using male domestiques in support of a women's title.

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 1 May 2019, 3:08pm

rfryer wrote:

Or insist on mixed squads, and have separate jerseys for men and women in each category? Could lead to interesting tactics, the option of using male domestiques in support of a women's title.

Not that I don't like the idea, but I can't see it happening as things stand because cycling revolves around various premium races and their organisers are different to one another, the UCI and the teams.

Having said that, there may well be room for new formats for new races. And if you only get to take part by bringing a mixed-sex team along then that might be a good impetus to have a decent ladies' squad if you don't want Astana, CCC, FDJ, Trek Segafredo, Lotto Soudal, Mitchelton-Scott and Sunweb getting all the glory.

(edited to add the teams I'd forgotten, so not as bad as it first looked, but still a way to go!)
Last edited by pjclinch on 5 May 2019, 9:15am, edited 2 times in total.

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 1 May 2019, 4:10pm

rfryer wrote:

Mixed tandem racing is the solution
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life