Help finding by the right bike

EvieStar

Help finding by the right bike

Postby EvieStar » 1 Sep 2019, 11:13pm

Hi,
My rust bucket of a mountain bike has finally died. I can scrape together £300 for s mute bike, but an a bit lost in what I need. I cycle 3 times a week at least. During the weeks outs mainly cycle paths. Weekend are forest trails or mountain bike trails (mostly blue). I'm rough on my bikes.

Any advice on what bike might suit my needs? I feel decades behind on the whole bike scene!

pjclinch

Re: Help finding by the right bike

Postby pjclinch » 2 Sep 2019, 3:04pm

EvieStar wrote:Hi,
My rust bucket of a mountain bike has finally died. I can scrape together £300 for s mute bike, but an a bit lost in what I need. I cycle 3 times a week at least. During the weeks outs mainly cycle paths. Weekend are forest trails or mountain bike trails (mostly blue). I'm rough on my bikes.

Any advice on what bike might suit my needs? I feel decades behind on the whole bike scene!

Mountain Bikes are usually well served by the second hand market, so check out your local Gumtree and similar (I got a hardly used £600 when new Cannondale for £300). If you're doing actual MTB trails I'd suggest a suspension fork is worth having, but full suspension costs Real Money to do properly (plus it's another can of worms for service etc.) so I'd avoid that.

I'll leave more detailed advice for folk that do more MTB than me!
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

EvieStar

Postby EvieStar » 2 Sep 2019, 6:23pm

Thanks for that pjclinch

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 5 Sep 2019, 8:31am

No expert on MTB's though do have a cheap one for when I do do some off roading. I would look at Decathlon who do decent bikes with decent kit and have the comfort of knowing you have back service etc if you are not very bike savvy.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 5 Sep 2019, 8:36am

Get yourself to a bike recycling centre https://www.cyclinguk.org/recycling-centres and spend your money on a decent refurbished bike.

They can also offer advice about the type of bike.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

Spinners

Postby Spinners » 5 Sep 2019, 8:39am

The 2019 Giant Escape 3 hybrid is now discounted to bring it under the £300 price point. It's a good bike (I have the 2016 model) and has beautiful plumage :D
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)