Can women wear men's bib shorts?

Quren

Can women wear men's bib shorts?

Postby Quren » 17 Dec 2019, 2:02pm

I'm having trouble finding women's bib shorts at my local bike shops. I'm wondering if I should just buy a pair of men's. Is that going to be a problem for me?
Back when I used to play a lot of football and go running, I'd always wear a pair of lycra cycling shorts underneath whatever else I was wearing. I've forgotten the motivation for doing this - it's certainly comfortable, and many pro-footballers do it, but beyond that are there any good reasons for wearing a lycra-like short whilst running?
Last edited by Quren on 23 Dec 2019, 9:19am, edited 1 time in total.

reohn2

Re: Can women wear men's bib shorts?

Postby reohn2 » 17 Dec 2019, 3:24pm

If they fit why wouldn't you wear them?
MickF(male by all accounts)of this parish recently bought a pair of well fitting bibtights only to find later they were intended for the female variety of the species.
Now between thee an' me Mick is an oddity,for a one off he's a Wigginer living in Devon and if that weren't bad enough he was once in the Navy :shock:
Nuff said :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

DNC123

Postby DNC123 » 17 Dec 2019, 3:42pm

I've just found out that a Gore tex non cycling jacket that I've been wearing for nearly 10 years is a female fit. Fits me perfectly and I ain't gonna change.

Funny thing is there is the exact same post on Bike Radar. A new member on there also, but a different name. Get in touch with them, you seem to have the same problems.

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 17 Dec 2019, 3:55pm

Hi,
I bought a female pair by mistake :oops: :lol:
Still have them if the size is right?
Postage only.
Used, but wear and tear from sitting on a concrete seat by the looks, slight scuffing, apart from that very usable.

I am not the only normal shape male who struggles to find shorts to fit.
Mick F he's an odd ball I can confirm, met him, if I said size 42 he say is that medium or large :lol: Only kidding Mick :wink:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 17 Dec 2019, 4:01pm

I got recommended a woman's fit outdoor trousers once. Slim and tall. Tried one on and couldn't get it on over my thighs. Legs too big.

If it fits your needs and your body who cares.

Cugel

Postby Cugel » 17 Dec 2019, 4:42pm

Quren wrote:I'm having trouble finding women's bib shorts at my local bike shops. I'm wondering if I should just buy a pair of men's. Is that going to be a problem for me?

It's a very individual-anatomy thing.

The ladywife can't find any bib tights of either gender that'll fit her, as she has very long legs. Some men's bib tights can be long enough and also skinny enough for the rest of her slim person - but she finds the pad in men's bib tights is generally too wide and rubs her sore on the inside top of her thighs.

You may be different.

Cugel

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 18 Dec 2019, 11:58am

Quren wrote:I'm having trouble finding women's bib shorts at my local bike shops. I'm wondering if I should just buy a pair of men's. Is that going to be a problem for me?

I am a woman, and have mostly worn men's shorts. The only thing that might give you some trouble is that the pads are a different design, and some folks find that pads designed for a different body shape & genitals are not comfortable.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 18 Dec 2019, 2:39pm

reohn2 wrote:If they fit why wouldn't you wear them?
MickF(male by all accounts)of this parish recently bought a pair of well fitting bibtights only to find later they were intended for the female variety of the species.
Now between thee an' me Mick is an oddity,for a one off he's a Wigginer living in Devon and if that weren't bad enough he was once in the Navy :shock:
Nuff said :wink:
Correction here.

Living in Cornwall ......... and have done since summer of 1985.
Rest of it, you are correct!

The women's tights were better than the men's ones IMO. I swapped them for men's as no doubt people might remember my thread.

They fitted snugly and were fine, though maybe a little bit tight on the legs. I particularly likes the lovely purple padding on the inside, whereas the men's version is boring black.

By the time I'd swapped them for the masculine version, I found them to be a bit snug too, so it could very well be, that there wasn't much difference between the two sexes.

I say again ............ like I often say ............... women's stuff is in nice colours, and men's stuff is boring.

As for sizing and shape, try them on.
Mick F. Cornwall

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 18 Dec 2019, 4:17pm

Mick F wrote:.Living in Cornwall ......... and have done since summer of 1985.

Just checking ispf you were paying attention :)
Rest of it, you are correct

Thanks.

I say again ............ like I often say ............... women's stuff is in nice colours, and men's stuff is boring

Much as I thought,cross dresser :shock: :wink:

PS,I didn't follow your thread to the end so hadn't realised you changed them.
I cycle therefore I am.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 18 Dec 2019, 4:25pm

Have a read at the whole story.
It's a good one!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=132840
Mick F. Cornwall

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 18 Dec 2019, 4:32pm

Mick dabbles with cross dressing. Isn't accepted for who he really is. So sends his clothes back and conforms to societal norms.

Sounds like an interesting thread. :lol:

Do I have to use the pronoun they when describing you? :wink:

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 18 Dec 2019, 4:48pm

Use any noun you want. :lol:
Happily married for the past 46years to Burscough-Girl and with two children. :D

Found this photo recently and scanned it. This is me on the left. :wink:
Me and the girls in the summer of 1983 on the shore of Loch Lomond.

........ though it could be summer of 1984.
Loch Lomond.jpeg
Mick F. Cornwall

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 18 Dec 2019, 6:05pm

Tangled Metal wrote: ....Do I have to use the pronoun they when describing you? :wink:

Personally I identify as a teapot,I'd dearly like to be a coffeepot but it's a bit of a grind to make the change
I cycle therefore I am.

landsurfer

Postby landsurfer » 18 Dec 2019, 8:03pm

I suppose it all depends on the lumpy bits in the front ....
Do mens bib tights have more dancing space ... ?
Or do mens bib tights try to improve aerodynamics via compression of the lumpy bits ...
If so they would probably be ok for the ladies ...
I agree mens stuff is bland and black ... fem stuff is usually bright ....
I like bright .......
Men reach a point in their lives where they take the right hand path to "A nice shade of DUN" ... or the left hand path to colourful clothing, without the interest in soft furnishings that often accompanies it ...

Or to the dark side of .... Cammo and OG's ... :shock:

I'm currently border line between the left hand path and the dark side ... :lol:
The Road Goes On Forever

Cugel

Postby Cugel » 19 Dec 2019, 9:46am

landsurfer wrote:I suppose it all depends on the lumpy bits in the front ....
Do mens bib tights have more dancing space ... ?
Or do mens bib tights try to improve aerodynamics via compression of the lumpy bits ...
If so they would probably be ok for the ladies ...
I agree mens stuff is bland and black ... fem stuff is usually bright ....
I like bright .......
Men reach a point in their lives where they take the right hand path to "A nice shade of DUN" ... or the left hand path to colourful clothing, without the interest in soft furnishings that often accompanies it ...

Or to the dark side of .... Cammo and OG's ... :shock:

I'm currently border line between the left hand path and the dark side ... :lol:

I yam often wondering why there is no beige cycling clothing for a certain section of the older cycling public; or even beige bikes.

Personally I enjoy the wearing of merino items with old cycling team emblems knitted-in. These are often a bit garish although one should draw the line at, say, the kaleidoscope of La Vie Claire or Mapei. I pretend I yam still capable of racing - until the first 5-stone sprog goes past. This is still a preferable ole-fool mode compared to succumbing to the call of the beige, in so many ways.

A good game is to look about the forums here to see if any posters seem to be beigers. One can detect them from the holding of certain opinions .... or so I will propose.

I have you down as a cammo ... definitely! :-)

Cugel