Replacement bike advice

LinusR

Replacement bike advice

Postby LinusR » 8 Mar 2020, 7:17pm

Please help me out if you can. My friend who's in her 70s used to have a Specialized Dolce road bike. She's quite petit and loved this bike. But it got stolen some months back. Bad advice from a friend led to her buying a "ladies", step-thru, flat handlebar bike that weighs a ton. She can hardly lift it. The old bike - Specialized Dolce - was light and she also got on better with drop handlebars. A typical weekend ride for her is 30 miles on rolling terrain with a single pannier.

The insurance company insist that she gets the bike from Cycle Republic. I've suggested that she tries out two bikes as a possible replacement:

1) https://www.cyclerepublic.com/boardman-adv-8-8-sora-womens-gravel-bike-2020.html

2) https://www.cyclerepublic.com/boardman-hyb-8-6-womens-hybrid-bike-2020.html

Obviously another Specialized Dolce would be a consideration, but I cannot find a bike shop in London that stocks one.

Any of the women on the forum care to advise? Anyone ridden any of the above Boardman women's bikes? Any other suggestions for a London based shop? Budget is up to £750.

Brucey

Re: Replacement bike advice

Postby Brucey » 10 Mar 2020, 10:55pm

surely there must be a mechanism for getting a cash settlement out of the insurers? Then you could buy what you like, including a used bike like the old one...?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PH

Postby PH » 10 Mar 2020, 11:46pm

Not a direct answer, sorry, but you may not be aware that Cycle Republic can source bikes from other retailers within the Halfords brands, so Halfords, Wheelies and Tredz, which may broaden your search. I know a woman who got a Liv bike from Cycle Republic on the C2W scheme, I don't know much about it other than it looks a similar style to the Dolce.

PH

Postby PH » 10 Mar 2020, 11:53pm

Brucey wrote:surely there must be a mechanism for getting a cash settlement out of the insurers? Then you could buy what you like, including a used bike like the old one...?

cheers

There probably is, but it'd most likely be the cost of them replacing with a similar bike and they'll be getting a decent discount from the retailer, similar to a C2W deal which I think is 15%.
When I had a bike written off last year, Halfords quoted £1,100 for a replacement, the drivers insurer offered to sort it out with Halfords or pay me £900 to do with as I chose. I had the cash because there was enough salvage on the wrecked bike to just need frameset and a rim to fix, but if I'd needed a complete bike I'd have let Halfords supply it.

LinusR

Postby LinusR » 11 Mar 2020, 6:33pm

PH wrote:Not a direct answer, sorry, but you may not be aware that Cycle Republic can source bikes from other retailers within the Halfords brands, so Halfords, Wheelies and Tredz, which may broaden your search. I know a woman who got a Liv bike from Cycle Republic on the C2W scheme, I don't know much about it other than it looks a similar style to the Dolce.

Thanks for this info. I wasn't aware that Tredz was part of the Halfords stable. Never heard of Wheelies. Just had a look on both their websites and that does extend the choice quite a bit.

I've now reserved and booked my friend in for a test ride (no obligation) for a Boardman SLR Claris https://www.cyclerepublic.com/boardman-slr-8-6-claris-womens-road-bike-2020.html At £480 it seems to be good value and almost identical to her previous bike, the Spesh Dolce. I went in to the store near me and had a good look at it. She's just over 5'1" and I'm hoping the size small (the smallest they do) will suit her.

roubaixtuesday

Postby roubaixtuesday » 11 Mar 2020, 7:49pm

Don't think you'll get a pannier rack on that?

LinusR

Postby LinusR » 11 Mar 2020, 8:33pm

roubaixtuesday wrote:
Don't think you'll get a pannier rack on that?

Something tells me you know more than you are letting on... :)

According to the Boardman bikes website it has "mounts for mudguards and a rear rack". https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/products/2131-slr-8.6-alloy-womens.html

roubaixtuesday

Postby roubaixtuesday » 12 Mar 2020, 11:53am

Ah no, I just couldn't see eyelets on the picture. Looks like I was wrong, apologies.

LinusR

Postby LinusR » 14 Mar 2020, 8:55pm

A quick update on this. My friend did a test ride on a Boardman SLR Claris women's road bike (size small) on Friday and she was very happy with it. Even better it was only £432 with the two discounts that Cycle Republic are offering at the moment. She's getting them to fit a rack (£14) and bigger cassette (11-32 at £14). As regards the insurance and the credit she had it took the poor bloke in the shop nearly an hour to sort out. In the end he had to tell her that to use the credit note for the insurance claim she couldn't spend it in the shop! - but would have to go home order it online and come back and pick it up!