Personal safety at the current time

orangebiker

Personal safety at the current time

Postby orangebiker » 25 Mar 2020, 1:47pm

Went out for a ride yesterday thinking it would be nice to take advantage of traffic free roads....however, it was eerily quiet and there were a few groups of dubious looking characters about. I'm used to riding alone, in fairly remote areas as well as in towns at night etc, and have only rarely felt unsafe on the bike (usually due to antisocial behaviour in Liverpool). However I fear that with most law abiding people now staying at home, and more cyclists /walkers/runners going out alone, there are bound to be increased opportunities for criminals to target the unwary. It's not a women specific problem but we are probably the most obvious targets. Has anyone experienced similar feelings in the last few days?

eileithyia

Re: Personal safety at the current time

Postby eileithyia » 26 Mar 2020, 9:40am

To be honest in a word; No. But not seen any unsavoury sorts either...... just regular 1s and 2s walking or cycling.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 12 Apr 2020, 8:51am

The only references to crime during the lockdown that I have read seem to indicate that overall, levels of reported crime have fallen with the unfortunate exception of domestic abuse. I can't find any reference to an increase in the sort of crime you are anxious about, orangebiker. I imagine potential hotpsots might be very local, not as a general rule...
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 12 Apr 2020, 8:57am

I'm pretty sure we'll see crime overall falling. But exceptions will be: domestic abuse and fraud. I believe the evidence is already there. In the main, I am finding people I pass whilst outside much more open and friendly.
John

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 12 Apr 2020, 11:50am

Some POlice forces have been adding "Lockdown fines" to other actions....

Two burglars in Wiltshire were charged for the Burglary and also fined as they were not travelling for "essential" reasons

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 12 Apr 2020, 11:51am

Oldjohnw wrote:I'm pretty sure we'll see crime overall falling. But exceptions will be: domestic abuse and fraud. I believe the evidence is already there. In the main, I am finding people I pass whilst outside much more open and friendly.

Spot fines for breaching isolation is one. Fake Police issuing tickets and taking cash or details for the payment.

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 12 Apr 2020, 5:59pm

Oldjohnw wrote:...more open and friendly.
That's what I'm finding on the whole. I've been out driving to work recently (delivering community meals) and the thing I've noticed is a) loads more cyclists, taking advantage of empty roads, often older couples, and b) a slight tendancy for motorists to go a bit faster than usual (my route to work goes along quite open, wide country roads, normally limited to 40mph which must be quite tempting to hoof it a bit, if you drive say a mini cooper :oops: ). Seen a couple of car drivers (not me, this time!) run a red light or two, as if to say, "well, there's no-one around...".
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)