New Foldable Bicycle- Advice which one to get

NewBee

New Foldable Bicycle- Advice which one to get

Postby NewBee » 18 Apr 2020, 12:20am

Hi guys,

Hope everyone is well (:

I was wondering if someone could recommend me a good quality ladies foldable bike which doesn’t weigh much. My budget is £200 max.

Thanks!

Paulatic

Re: New Foldable Bicycle- Advice which one to get

Postby Paulatic » 18 Apr 2020, 7:51am

The words "doesn’t weigh much" and "budget is £200 max" will never go together. I’ll watch with interest to see if anyone here can perform magic.
The only one I’m aware of Is unavailable right now. :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

PT1029

Postby PT1029 » 18 Apr 2020, 8:17am

It depends on what you want to use it for.
I usually recommend either Dahon or Brompton. Dahons start £500ish, Bromptons a lot more. For a none folding bike that won't end up falling apart, I usually tell people to spend about £300. More so for folding bikes, with the extra complication of folding joints etc.
Anything notably cheaper will be heavy and have poor quaility parts (I repair bikes at work, so see these things).
Most none Brompton folders have the folding secured by a cam lever to secure it. Often these come out of adjustment, and don't tighten the folding joint enough, so the frame/handle bar joint flexes in use. They can be easily adjusted to be correct again, but if left out of adjustment for too long, the frame joint surfaces wear and the joint never secures tightly again, resulting in it flexing when you cycle along. I'd say 1/2 the Dahon bikes I see at work have the folding clamps adjusted too loose. Some adjust back to be OK, some are too worn to do this. Not everyone notices when things are loose.
The Brompton style clamp is alot more reliable and intuitive (you simply screw it up tight).
All folding bikes are a compromise between cost, foldability, compactness (or not) of folded size, and weight. What works for you might not work for someone else.
If needing to carry up a lot of stairs, or cycling a fair distance regularly, then I suggest something better than £200. If its is used for short distances, then something £200ish might do. I have serviced bikes like this one :
https://www.halfords.com/bikes/folding- ... 27104.html (£200), if used regularly (ones I know are used for car/bike journeys to work), they last a few years with increasingly hard to adjust maintenance (parts don't adjust properly) before not being worth percevering with.
If you try for something better quality but second hand, check the folding joints (open and closed) to see if they are worn (so have play in the joint).

Richard Fairhurst

Postby Richard Fairhurst » 18 Apr 2020, 11:09am

New folding bikes under £200 can be quite uniquely terrible. My first folder cost £150 and it's by a long chalk the worst bike I've ever owned.

Your best bet, if that really is your budget limit, is to look out for a secondhand Tern or Dahon. There are some reasonable bargains on Gumtree as long as you can reassure yourself it's not stolen. But even then you'll have a much wider choice if you're prepared to go up to £300 or £400.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 18 Apr 2020, 12:53pm

An oft-quoted cycling (engineering) maxim: "You can have light, you can have cheap, you can have strong, but you can only have a maximum of two at the same time..." The excellent Brompton (which appears to suit ladies) is dear enough in its plain-vanilla form, but mix in enough titanium to make it noticably lighter than the all-steel versions and you better be sitting down when you pay for it... Seldom is the saying, "You get what you pay for." more appropriate than when applied to folding bicycles.
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 18 Apr 2020, 1:05pm

NewBee wrote:Hi guys,

Hope everyone is well (:

I was wondering if someone could recommend me a good quality ladies foldable bike which doesn’t weigh much. My budget is £200 max.

Thanks!

Not wanting to hijack the thread but if you can stretch to £300 I have a barely used (less than 150miles) practically unmarked Tern Link N8 for sale:-
20190722_195059.jpg

The bike has mudguards and better quality brake pads fitted and comes with a Topeak pump.
Selling due to lack of use and would cost approx £500 to £600 new.headtube bracket and bottle holder not included.
Last edited by reohn2 on 18 Apr 2020, 1:19pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 18 Apr 2020, 1:17pm

OP, buy this /\/\

drossall

Postby drossall » 18 Apr 2020, 1:25pm

I agree, that's a really good offer. And the general advice to look for a second-hand Dahon or Tern is good too. At your budget, it's the only way to get a decent bike.

PT1029

Postby PT1029 » 18 Apr 2020, 2:05pm

These use the cam type clamping lever, so get familiar with knowing when the adjustment needs tightening as per previous comments (even if you have to get someone else to tweek it, and a tweek is all it is).
Don't let this put you off, the folding clamps on £200-£250 bikes are barely fit for service when new, and go down hill from there.
Even if you got a bike more used than the one here, a used Tern like this would ride better, work better and last a lot longer then a new £200 - 250 bike.

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 18 Apr 2020, 8:49pm

Paulatic wrote:The only one I’m aware of Is unavailable right now. :D
I followed the link - most droll 8)
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)