Introduction and bike seats

KittyPrice

Introduction and bike seats

Postby KittyPrice » 7 Jul 2020, 10:58am

Hi everyone,

Just an introduction from me - as I am relatively new to this forum. I am just wondering if there's any lotion that people apply to bum bruising! and asking for opinions on the best gel bike seat?

Quite an interesting topic, but looking forward to not having a sore bum anymore! haha :roll:

bogmyrtle

Re: Introduction and bike seats

Postby bogmyrtle » 7 Jul 2020, 8:38pm

Hi and welcome. Are you new to cycling? If so I would suggest you give yourself time to recover between rides. That way your derriere will gradually toughen up and cope better with pressure on your seat bones.
If you've already given it a bit of time and you are certain it's the saddle causing issues, then look for a saddle that will minimise the pressure there. We are all different. No one make or type of saddle will suit everyone. Some shops will do a saddle fit. That would probably be your best way forward.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.

mattsccm

Postby mattsccm » 10 Jul 2020, 10:17pm

Don't automatically assume that a wide saddle will solve all. It might not. Do a bit of research on your position and, as said, get used to your bike . My wife moans about her saddle . Apoarently it is awful. She forgets that it was great a few years ago but now she rides once a year at the most.

printedland

Postby printedland » 16 Jul 2020, 11:04am

KittyPrice wrote:Hi everyone,

Just an introduction from me - as I am relatively new to this forum. I am just wondering if there's any lotion that people apply to bum bruising! and asking for opinions on the best gel bike seat?

Quite an interesting topic, but looking forward to not having a sore bum anymore! haha :roll:

Hi Kitty
If I correctly assume you're female, my wife recently bought one of these saddles and raves about it: https://spacycles.co.uk/m18b0s83p3508/S ... y-Gel-Flow

It has a cutaway, which I understand many women prefer. In choosing it, my wife was very influenced by this absolutely excellent article which appeared in the Cycle magazine a few years ago: https://www.cyclinguk.org/saddlepain

Just to confuse issues, there is a school of thought that firmer saddles are more comfortable and reduce soreness across the bum. I tend to find that myself (I use leather ones), but of course saddles are a very personal thing.

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 17 Jul 2020, 2:07pm

printedland wrote:It has a cutaway, which I understand many women prefer.

Last year I went to the cheer on the riders on the end of the Women's Tour of Scotland in Perth, and wandering around after they were done there were lots of team vehicles with bikes on. I didn't count for actual percentages, but a good majority were cutaways, though that still left plenty that weren't.
It's also worth noting that riding position will influence things, so this was prop peloton choice who'd typically ride more aggressively (and hence more pitched forwards) than a lot of others. Having said that, my missus prefers cutaways and has different models of Specialized BG, both with cutaways, on her Dutch city bike as well as her road bike.

In summary, a good chance a cutaway will work for you (assuming the rest of the saddle is right), but don't rule out designs that don't have one.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...