Introduction and bike seats

KittyPrice

Introduction and bike seats

Post by KittyPrice »

Hi everyone,

Just an introduction from me - as I am relatively new to this forum. I am just wondering if there's any lotion that people apply to bum bruising! and asking for opinions on the best gel bike seat?

Quite an interesting topic, but looking forward to not having a sore bum anymore! haha :roll:
bogmyrtle

Re: Introduction and bike seats

Post by bogmyrtle »

Hi and welcome. Are you new to cycling? If so I would suggest you give yourself time to recover between rides. That way your derriere will gradually toughen up and cope better with pressure on your seat bones.
If you've already given it a bit of time and you are certain it's the saddle causing issues, then look for a saddle that will minimise the pressure there. We are all different. No one make or type of saddle will suit everyone. Some shops will do a saddle fit. That would probably be your best way forward.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Don't automatically assume that a wide saddle will solve all. It might not. Do a bit of research on your position and, as said, get used to your bike . My wife moans about her saddle . Apoarently it is awful. She forgets that it was great a few years ago but now she rides once a year at the most.
printedland

Post by printedland »

KittyPrice wrote:Hi everyone,

Just an introduction from me - as I am relatively new to this forum. I am just wondering if there's any lotion that people apply to bum bruising! and asking for opinions on the best gel bike seat?

Quite an interesting topic, but looking forward to not having a sore bum anymore! haha :roll:

Hi Kitty
If I correctly assume you're female, my wife recently bought one of these saddles and raves about it: https://spacycles.co.uk/m18b0s83p3508/S ... y-Gel-Flow

It has a cutaway, which I understand many women prefer. In choosing it, my wife was very influenced by this absolutely excellent article which appeared in the Cycle magazine a few years ago: https://www.cyclinguk.org/saddlepain

Just to confuse issues, there is a school of thought that firmer saddles are more comfortable and reduce soreness across the bum. I tend to find that myself (I use leather ones), but of course saddles are a very personal thing.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

printedland wrote:It has a cutaway, which I understand many women prefer.

Last year I went to the cheer on the riders on the end of the Women's Tour of Scotland in Perth, and wandering around after they were done there were lots of team vehicles with bikes on. I didn't count for actual percentages, but a good majority were cutaways, though that still left plenty that weren't.
It's also worth noting that riding position will influence things, so this was prop peloton choice who'd typically ride more aggressively (and hence more pitched forwards) than a lot of others. Having said that, my missus prefers cutaways and has different models of Specialized BG, both with cutaways, on her Dutch city bike as well as her road bike.

In summary, a good chance a cutaway will work for you (assuming the rest of the saddle is right), but don't rule out designs that don't have one.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
KittyPrice

Post by KittyPrice »

Ahhh this is amazing! Thank you so so much. I am a female - lol and hate sore bums. I have also been using https://pulseroll.com/product/massage-gun/ to ease soreness!
KittyPrice

Post by KittyPrice »

Thank you also to everyone else who replied. What does everyone do with their sore bum/keeping glutes strong?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

There are loads of threads on here about sore bums (one of these days I will index them :oops: ). If you search on 'saddle sore' or similar, you will find loads of advice. But my advice is (in order):

1) your bum needs to get used to the saddle and vice versa
If you're pushing your distance, that might be the only problem
2) Saddle position is crucial
Make sure that your sit bones are the primary contact between you and the saddle at all times: If other places are in hard contact with the saddle, see if you can adjust the saddle by titling it a little up or down, or moving it a little down or up, forwards or back and solve the problem.
Make only one change at a time, and mark the position on the rails, so that you can change it back if you make it worse. Have a look at 531colin's bike fit guide https://wheel-easy.org.uk/wp-content/up ... -2017a.pdf
If adjustments do not solve the problem
3) Saddles and bums both come in a wide variety of shapes
It's entirely possible that your saddle and bum are not entirely compatible. If this is the problem, be prepared to try a number of different saddles before you find one that suits. This process and the eventual solution are very individual, so one person's cure may not be yours. I think that the saddles where they have you sit on a fitting mat (Specialized, Bontrager) have a slightly better chance of working than taking other people's recommendation

Specifically regarding gel saddles, I will say that it is is personal. I like Serfas saddles, but generally experienced cyclists tend to prefer unpadded saddles.

The last thing is that I generally think it is better to solve the issues causing soreness, rather than using creams or lotions.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Vorpal wrote:The last thing is that I generally think it is better to solve the issues causing soreness, rather than using creams or lotions.

Well yes, but if you sustain any chafing / undue reddening of the skin then it's time to stop being brave! A dab of Sudocreme is as good as most and cheaper than many! Apply post ride and give yourself time to heal.
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!