Present for girlfriend

mumbojumbo

Present for girlfriend

Post by mumbojumbo »

I have a friend who shows some interest inn ycling and even has a bike.What smal gift up to £250 can I buy to make cycling great fun?I thought about a cycling outfit,such as somen tweeds or plus fours-she palys golf as well?
Jdsk

Re: Present for girlfriend

Post by Jdsk »

A velodrome session with friends... once they're open again?

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 24 Aug 2020, 10:22am, edited 1 time in total.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

N+1, you could get her another cycle for that money, with a fixed wheel maybe?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Elizabeth_S

Post by Elizabeth_S »

So she has a bike, doesn't cycle much, and you'd like to encourage her to cycle more? So why doesn't she cycle much? Not tweeds, expensive and you need the right fit, bit niche unless she's really into retro stuff, and they don't even wear tweed on golf courses much around here.
Ask her why she doesn't cycle before you do anything so you don't make an expensive mistake. Good waterproofs might help cycling and golf.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Cycling books, magazines, subscription to the Gazette and Cycling Weakly
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

"Some interest in cycling and even has a bike" doesn't sound like someone who would plunge avidly into cycling lit*, nor yet would welcome velodrome sessions. You could get her a pretty good [seatpost] rack & rack bag for that sort of money, and put a few goodies in it too: tools, tubes, edibles...

* I've been cycling since the Dawn of Time and I find 99.9999% of it dead boring
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Audax67 wrote:"Some interest in cycling and even has a bike" doesn't sound like someone who would plunge avidly into cycling lit*, nor yet would welcome velodrome sessions. You could get her a pretty good [seatpost] rack & rack bag for that sort of money, and put a few goodies in it too: tools, tubes, edibles...

* I've been cycling since the Dawn of Time and I find 99.9999% of it dead boring

I loved 'Albina et sa Bicyclette' and 'The secret of the LBS owner' by Sempe
Not to mention 'My 19th Tour de France' by J B Wadley

What do you read instead?
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Elizabeth_S wrote:So she has a bike, doesn't cycle much, and you'd like to encourage her to cycle more? So why doesn't she cycle much? Not tweeds, expensive and you need the right fit, bit niche unless she's really into retro stuff, and they don't even wear tweed on golf courses much around here.
Ask her why she doesn't cycle before you do anything so you don't make an expensive mistake. Good waterproofs might help cycling and golf.

IMHO the above wins the prize for most useful answer.

In response to the OP I’ve been married for years and I still don’t quite understand the fine details but basically never tell your Mrs (to do) anything, ask open questions and listen very carefully to the answers without interrupting or offering ‘advice’. My Mrs has a nice bike but doesn’t use it, she’s happy to walk and doesn’t like cycling with me because I ride too far and too fast (oh that I could actually ride what I consider to be far and fast). She doesn’t like using the overcomplicated gears (18 speed) on her bike either, but did select a bike with them ... Personally I think that there’s a lot to be said for both three speed hub gears and a single chain wheel driving a wide range ‘freewheel’ on a lightweight bike. Women will cycle with other women; they seem to find their own pace, cover what they find to be a comfortable distance and enjoy an all ladies chat. I wish them well and am always glad to see such a liberated group enjoying a ride, perhaps some of them even ride with their partners from time to time too.

I’m really not certain that you can buy gifts that make Cycling great fun for someone who doesn’t cycle much. If you want to spend time with your Lady then ask her what she’d like to do (and obviously do it) and at some later point she might be open to cycling (literally) a few miles with you ... there’s no need for you to make my mistakes.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Thans for advice so far and the suggestion of waterproofs is excellent,We have an ex-army stores nearby and hope to get pair of matching oilskins in yellow or motorway orange,and use the change ti buy a modified towable shopping trolley-lkocal farrier knoicks these out for £50.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

mumbojumbo wrote:Thans for advice so far and the suggestion of waterproofs is excellent,We have an ex-army stores nearby and hope to get pair of matching oilskins in yellow or motorway orange,and use the change ti buy a modified towable shopping trolley-lkocal farrier knoicks these out for £50.

Something a tad more breathable then oilskins perhaps?
531colin

Post by 531colin »

I see a business opportunity here, for one of those posh hotels that do Spa/pampering weekends to include bike fitting as a "treatment".
But realistically, I think you should buy her a new saddle, and yourself a full set of body armour and helmet.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Find out what would make cycling more accessible to her; comfier saddle, padded shorts, some decent waterproofs (NOT oilskins), more confidence perhaps pay for a bikeability course......
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mumbojumbo wrote:Thans for advice so far and the suggestion of waterproofs is excellent,We have an ex-army stores nearby and hope to get pair of matching oilskins in yellow or motorway orange,and use the change ti buy a modified towable shopping trolley-lkocal farrier knoicks these out for £50.

Oilskins are okay for something like a cape, but not ideal for overtrousers & jacket. Not everyone likes capes, and other stuff generally requires being tried on. So, I would recommend asking first. The same goes for the towable shopping trolley. If she doesn't already do her shopping by bike, a rack and panniers might be more useful. If she does, she likely has a system that works.

If you want something that doesn't require asking first, or trying stuff on, buy a gift card from a local cycle shop, and let her pick for herself.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
rjb

Post by rjb »

531colin wrote:I see a business opportunity here, for one of those posh hotels that do Spa/pampering weekends to include bike fitting as a "treatment".
But realistically, I think you should buy her a new saddle, and yourself a full set of body armour and helmet.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Fortunately your budgeting does not stretch to an €-bike :wink: