MOUNTAIN BIKE FOR FULL FIGURED LADY

MOUNTAINBIRD1988

MOUNTAIN BIKE FOR FULL FIGURED LADY

Post by MOUNTAINBIRD1988 »

Good evening,

I am trying to find out the best Mountain Bike for myself.....I am 50 and full figured but good and strong and reasonably fit.

I used to cycle alot on the road etc, but now I have the chance to ride on my own land and rough paths etc and have been trying to find the best bike.

I need something with double suspension I reckon? I also have a long term ankle problem which can be quick disabling on the bad days, but on good days I can walk lots and cycle.

My budget is about £350.00 - £400.00.

Any help with this would be great and very welcome. Also do I need thick tyres and if so, whats the minimum size etc?

Lastly I am 5ft 4 so what size bike should I be looking at?

All the best
NUKe

Re: MOUNTAIN BIKE FOR FULL FIGURED LADY

Post by NUKe »

anything double suspension in your budget will be horrible. Also although I don't know your specific ankle problems but I would have thought dual suspension would be more of a hindrance. Cheap dual suspension is weighty and tends not to work. A better solution at the lower price end is front only suspension and add a Good suspension seat post such as thud buster.

specialized Rockhopper.

https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/rockh ... 91520-7401
is just above your price but you can probably find one if your lucky below. The reason I suggest this my old boss had one of these and really liked it.
If your confident about what your buying then you may find a second hand deal would give you something more exotic
NUKe

Post by Graham »

This previous topic may be relevant . . . but I have not checked it through.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=139655

I hope it is useful.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

How much do you plan on cycling? At your price range, suspension systems will be heavy, and not necessarily very reliable.

A fit person your age wouldn't normally *need* suspension. I am 53, and have some arthritis in my hands, and I find I need front suspension for long (30 + miles?) rough off-road rides, and even on shorter rides, it reduces tiredness. I don't use rear suspension.

If it's for your backside, you could try a suspension seat post?

Are you near a Decathlon? I think their bikes are usually pretty good in your price range.

As for size, different manufacturers use different size ranges, and the best size for you also depends somewhat on proportions, but you would normally need an XS in men's/gender neutral or a small in women's. You might also be able to use a large youth frame. If they are measure in inches, probably a 16" or 17" frame.

If you can, it's best to visit a shop. I know that's difficult in these times, but if you can't visit a shop, try to use the manufacturer's size guide
Decathlon, for example, include it with the bike information https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/women-s-2 ... R-p-307942 or call a local shop & discuss it with them.

When you get your bike, if a shop can't help you set it up, use 531 colin's DIY bike fit guide https://wheel-easy.org.uk/wp-content/up ... -2017a.pdf
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Rather than rely on suspension choose strong wheels and bulbous tyres ,plus decent saddle.can buy susension saddle
John
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

MOUNTAINBIRD1988 wrote:I need something with double suspension I reckon?

As suggested by others, avoid these. Dual suspension done properly is great, but with the caveats that doing it properly costs Real Money™ and only if you're covering properly rough terrain at some speed is it worthwhile (for elite level cross country competition some riders still prefer a lighter bike without rear suspension).
Cheap full-sus is heavy, draggy and usually poorly damped so more trouble than it's worth. For front suspension, if you can lock it out that's useful (that way if doesn't suck power climbing on relatively good surfaces)

MOUNTAINBIRD1988 wrote:My budget is about £350.00 - £400.00.

Don't rule out second hand, especially now as there may well be quite a few lockdown purchases that never really got used. My own MTB is a Cannonadle I got on Gumtree for £300, was practically new and would have been £600 at the shops.

MOUNTAINBIRD1988 wrote:Also do I need thick tyres and if so, whats the minimum size etc?

Any real MTB will come with off-road mud tyres, typically 2" across. Main thing about wheel size is 29" or 27.5" (they used to be 26", hardly anyone makes those on new stuff now but don't rule them out second hand). Bigger is notionally freer rolling over the rough stuff, but it also makes them a bit unwieldy for smaller riders. Personally I prefer smaller, and at 5'8" I'm a bit taller than you.

MOUNTAINBIRD1988 wrote:Lastly I am 5ft 4 so what size bike should I be looking at?

Probably an S, though if you come across an M have a test and see how it feels.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

MOUNTAINBIRD1988 wrote:Good evening,

I am trying to find out the best Mountain Bike for myself.....I am 50 and full figured but good and strong and reasonably fit.

I used to cycle alot on the road etc, but now I have the chance to ride on my own land and rough paths etc and have been trying to find the best bike.

I need something with double suspension I reckon? I also have a long term ankle problem which can be quick disabling on the bad days, but on good days I can walk lots and cycle.

My budget is about £350.00 - £400.00.

Any help with this would be great and very welcome. Also do I need thick tyres and if so, whats the minimum size etc?

Lastly I am 5ft 4 so what size bike should I be looking at?

All the best

I suggest that you do yourself an enormous favour: forget about suspension. The original mountain bikes didn’t have it and the riders coped with all types of stuff. Fat tyres (approaching 2”) and a moderate speed will get you safely and comfortably about. Tyres do a multitude of stuff form absorbing shock, to gripping surfaces to distributing load on soft surfaces. Think in terms of what the track quality is that you’re going over and about walking for short parts of your rides - in some off road situations walking will be safer and likely no slower.

Do you really need the extremes of a Mountain Bike? Perhaps they’re no longer sold but Hybrid bikes were once popular and would take you most places. My everyday bike has 700*35(mm wide) tyres and takes me off road, for thick wet mud I’d want wider but ultimately thick mud isn’t that practical for riding through - only ride where you could also walk if you needed to.

Mountain bikes can be long reach in proportion to saddle height and that will likely not be comfortable - I found that out the hard way,
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

No log in for a week by OP