Ladies winter leggings with windproof layer

maureen

Ladies winter leggings with windproof layer

Post by maureen »

Any recommendations would be much appreciated. thanks
ElaineB

Re: Ladies winter leggings with windproof layer

Post by ElaineB »

I bought some Aldi ones and they have windproof on the front, where you need it. I was surprised how effective they were and extremely cheap. See if you can find some on eBay but make sure they say windproof on front because their other ones don’t have them, even though they are called ‘thermal’.
They don’t come up very long but they suit me.
I’ve had expensive leggings in the past but none are as good as the Aldi ones!
Look up ‘Crane women’s clothing’ on eBay.
Hope that helps.
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

I had a really good pair made by Tudor Sports, had a pertex type front facing. I am not sure if Tudor Sport still exist or indeed if they did Ladies clothing but seem to remember they were very good. (I am talking about just after the late King died. LOL) At the present time I use Gore "Wind Stopper" bibs, they work fairly well.
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

KTHSullivan wrote:I had a really good pair made by Tudor Sports, had a pertex type front facing. I am not sure if Tudor Sport still exist or indeed if they did Ladies clothing but seem to remember they were very good. (I am talking about just after the late King died. LOL) At the present time I use Gore "Wind Stopper" bibs, they work fairly well.

Indeed Tudor Sports still exist https://www.tudorsports.co.uk/ But they don't list tights with a windproof facing any more. I still use a pair of their excellent tights, which I've had for about 35 years, for my daily commute when the temperatures dictate (around 6 months of the year). So as you can tell they are hard wearing and very comfortable. They also offer custom fitting. I had my leggings made +2" in the leg as I'm 6'1" and their size M came up short on me.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

In the past, I've liked Cannondale Windbloc stuff.

More recently, I've taken to wearing normal cycling longs with another layer over.

My current windproof trousers are Craft. They are about 6 years old now, and seem to be holding up well.

Wearing two layers has the advantage that if it warms up sufficiently, I can remove a layer.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

When it's cold I often use Rainlegs, even though it's not raining, to keep my knees warm. If the upper leg is warm my feet stay warm too, unless it is really freezing. In that case I'll add leg warmers or gaiters - less sweaty than full overtrousers.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

XC ski stuff often has this as a feature, though it's not something that turns up much in the UK. Example would be something like Craft Glide Wind Tights, see https://www.craftsportswear.com/global/glide-wind-tights-w-female-black-1909568-999000

Windproof fleeces are a mixed blessing IME, in cold and dry they're great, but though the ones like Windbloc/Windstopper are actually remarkably water resistant (Windstopper is effectively Mk 1 Goretex with no seam taping), when the water does get through they get very cold very quickly and take an age and more to really dry out.
I personally prefer a stretch-weave soft shell which is windproof enough, more breathable and will dry out from properly soaking a lot quicker. Not widely available as leggings though, it's generally trousers. Something like Rohan's Troggings work well (https://www.rohan.co.uk/womens-travel-and-outdoor-trousers-troggings?ocode=05235L68&cr=WomensTrousers), I use them for winter mountain biking and XC skiing (as does my wife) and they're just really good no-fuss warm, quick drying cold weather trousers and while you'd get some extra air resistance if you were trying hard, for general riding they're not especially baggy. I see Rohan do "Velocity Leggings" which they claim have a dense knit but not available in men's sizes so I haven't tried them and can't comment on how windproof they might be.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
AMMoffat

Post by AMMoffat »

I've got a pair from Rose Cycles https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/clothing/cy ... %5D=Ladies - their own brand - which are windproof and fleecy on the front but just fleecy on the rear They have lots of other options that you can't find here as apparently winter happens on the continent but not here :roll:
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

AMMoffat wrote:I've got a pair from Rose Cycles https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/clothing/cy ... %5D=Ladies - their own brand - which are windproof and fleecy on the front but just fleecy on the rear They have lots of other options that you can't find here as apparently winter happens on the continent but not here :roll:

Oh, winter happens here all right, but makes it Completely Impossible to ride bikes (at least according to quite a lot of robots on Twitter)
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...