Bicycle for small lady

Philip Benstead

Bicycle for small lady

Post by Philip Benstead »

I seeking a bicycle for a small lady.

Her current new bicycle IMHO is too large.
The seat pin was cut down to permite the saddle to be as low as possible on the 14 inch open frame.

With the saddle down she on the balls of both feet but the handalbar are high. If you lower the handalbars in cover the front dynamo light with the basket.

She able successfully ride on my 24 inch wheel folder....

I am looking for 24 inch wheel open frame bike with gears. The colour scheme need to be mature not childlike. Dyanmino lighting would be a plus. It needs to be suitable for mudguards and rack and front basket...

It going to be used by a 70 year old female to go the shop and local acrea. There are some hills in the urban area. I am able to make some alterations to make it fit and work.
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
mumbojumbo

Re: Bicycle for small lady

Post by mumbojumbo »

Is this a wanted advert?I would suggest a childs bike if she is a titch.
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

Islabikes Beinn 24 comes in "Charcoal Satin" which looks like grey and mature enough to me. Steeply sloping top tube. Mudguards and rack can be fitted. Janis may also be worth a look but 26" wheel in XS size.
pwa

Post by pwa »

rotavator wrote:Islabikes Beinn 24 comes in "Charcoal Satin" which looks like grey and mature enough to me. Steeply sloping top tube. Mudguards and rack can be fitted. Janis may also be worth a look but 26" wheel in XS size.

My wife's bike is mainly my own creation but is based around an Islabikes frame and forks. The frames they make for teenagers are a good fit for women who are small or average size. If you can find a second hand one it might be worth a look.....
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

If the buyers tight gave a look at Ridgeback Dirk's bikes some are not to girlie nor to heavy and not to expensive either.

Cheers James
lescargo

Post by lescargo »

Philip -marginal gains!!
You can effectively reduce seat tube size by reverting to old style seat clamp by!!
Put clamp on "upside down"--then the clamp sits under/inside the saddle.
Saves inch/25mm.
Did this when my boys were small.

Confident still have clamp and short "ALLY" seat pin garage.

Soonest in post (foc.) tomorrow. pm. me asap with adresss.
Post is VERY slow-perhaps delivery monday--some staff on furlough -sorting offices only open 8/10am. mon./fri.
Probably quicker get from local " recyke'y'bike".

If you do this, easier, of course to fit on the bench so worthwhile to mark "horizontal" line on existing S/Pin to transfer to new.
Avoids a lot of blind? fumbling about when you cant see the clamp nuts.

Hope this works-lot cheaper than changing bike frame.
lescargo

Post by lescargo »

Perhaps worthwhile to *post picture of front light to illuminate the problem.
You, have , over the years fitted lots of luggage and know that there's lots of scope to relocate H/lamp or even
small front rack with rack top bag.

According to local ladies suitable small bikes are few and far between-and even scarcer now after last years response
"to get a bike don't get the bus""

* I can't do this
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I've just ordered a Squish 26 for my wife who is short with short limbs. I looked at Isla and Frogs bikes before going with Squish. I will have the challenge of adding mudguards, rack, bottle cage, more gears etc but overall the geometry looked sensible and the price is good. Will report back when it arrives.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

A review so far of the Squish 26 in the reviews section. I may have screwed up on the sizing. The top tube is long on the 15" frame.
Tricyclebell

Post by Tricyclebell »

I am 4ft 10 inches and arthritic (age 62) and now ride a teenagers Frog flat bar bike. I prefer the Frog range because they scale the crank length down with the frame size and for my arthritic knees this is essential and also gives me more power on the down stroke. There are too many small bikes with cranks that are too long, no wonder small women are unable to get comfortable on a bike.
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

Tricyclebell wrote:I am 4ft 10 inches and arthritic (age 62) and now ride a teenagers Frog flat bar bike. I prefer the Frog range because they scale the crank length down with the frame size and for my arthritic knees this is essential and also gives me more power on the down stroke. There are too many small bikes with cranks that are too long, no wonder small women are unable to get comfortable on a bike.

What size wheel do you have?
Has the bike have crossbar?
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
Tricyclebell

Post by Tricyclebell »

26inch wheels and sloping top tube so easy to mount and dismount.