Saddle for bike on stand

jazzkitten

Saddle for bike on stand

Post by jazzkitten »

Hi folks
I wondered if anyone had any advice for me on the following.
I have several bikes and on my Brompton, which is the one I ride the most, I've splashed out and bought a Brooks, which I love.
In my cellar I have installed my oldest racing bike, a Motobecane Jubile Sport on a stand. I never had a proper woman's saddle on it, so I replaced the old suede hard saddle with another padded one which we had already. I can't remember where it came from but it was probably Aldi or Lidl.
It's quite wide at the base and quite padded so I thought it would be more comfortable. Unfortunately though it isn't. It seems that I have more weight on my wrists as a result of the saddle, which I didn't have before.
This is making riding the bike uncomfortable on my wrists.
The other thing is, as the saddle is so wide, it seems that it is impeding my leg movement somewhat.

I want to replace it with a better saddle, suitable for women, but I don't' want to go so far as to spend loads on a Brooks, for this bike in my cellar which is only being used while I can't get out on the road over winter and don't want to much anyway, during lockdown. Call me strange but I prefer not to take chances riding out until we are given the all clear to go where we please!
Any help would be gratefully received.
Wendy
531colin

Re: Saddle for bike on stand

Post by 531colin »

Too much weight on your hands means the saddle has to go back.
Slide the saddle back relative to the seatpost, this may be enough to get comfortable, unless the wide back end of the saddle is making you sit forward on the saddle; in that case its got to go.
Your local bike shop may have a stash of discarded saddles for cheap, or theres E bay etc