Cycling tights for petite female

DizzyGil

Cycling tights for petite female

Post by DizzyGil »

I am struggling finding cycling tights.

For starters: i cannot stand padded tights! The bulk sticking out at the back when off bike is irritating and its too much material between legs.

I found a super comfortable gel saddle cover on amazon, which gives me plenty of protection even when going off road without padded clothing.

The tights need to be high waist.
Im 150cm tall, hourglass shaped apparently, small waist, curvey hips and muscley legs, broad shoulders.

It appears most cycling tights are not high waist.

I don't know what to choose, should i go for Junior size?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you ☺️
rjb

Re: Cycling tights for petite female

Post by rjb »

I use thermal tights. ( From discount German supermarkets. :wink: )
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Elizabeth_S

Post by Elizabeth_S »

Is there much difference between running leggings and cycling leggings (flat seams and stretch)? I've got high waisted running tights as I canicross and the belt has a waist strap that can rub otherwise. I've got the Funky leggings Scotland ones, they are good, nice thick fabric if that's what you are after. Many of the girl runners are petite and wear them and the guys go a size or two up and wear them as well. The running club girls like Fabletics, but say to watch out for the subscription (I haven't tried), the Lucy Locket loves are bright and high waisted, haven't tried those but the girls like them. If you want bamboo then BAM are good, I've got them, nice and warm and I've cycled in them, they don't have flat seams but soft so they don't rub. Pain to get dry if they get wet like all bamboo.
Otherwise I wear lower rise tights for running and high waisted knicks, which other women do also.
DizzyGil

Post by DizzyGil »

Elizabeth_S wrote:Is there much difference between running leggings and cycling leggings (flat seams and stretch)? I've got high waisted running tights as I canicross and the belt has a waist strap that can rub otherwise. I've got the Funky leggings Scotland ones, they are good, nice thick fabric if that's what you are after. Many of the girl runners are petite and wear them and the guys go a size or two up and wear them as well. The running club girls like Fabletics, but say to watch out for the subscription (I haven't tried), the Lucy Locket loves are bright and high waisted, haven't tried those but the girls like them. If you want bamboo then BAM are good, I've got them, nice and warm and I've cycled in them, they don't have flat seams but soft so they don't rub. Pain to get dry if they get wet like all bamboo.
Otherwise I wear lower rise tights for running and high waisted knicks, which other women do also.

Thank you for this indepth reply. I don't know if there is much difference, my guess is that the cycling leggings have no seams in the crotch area, similar to jodhpurs, to reduce rubbing when in saddle (bike or horse). But I have been cycling in ordinary loose trousers so far and its OK as trip to work is only 40mins one way. I might try running tights.
I really like the Fabletics tights/leggings but am not keen on the subscription, especially without knowing if I get on with them. I think the Lucy Locket Loves may be too thin.
I prefer high waist as on the bike I bend over and I prefer not to have leggings that slip down. Am yet to look into BAM.
All very useful information, thank you. I never heard of any of the brands you mentions when googling for cycling tights. Will have to look into jogging tights as well I think.
Elizabeth_S

Post by Elizabeth_S »

If you are after cheap ones, then the sports shoes own brand are okay, may be too thin though, but look out there in the sales (there is always a sale...), I had some nice asics ones but I gave them to my husband, and wiggle own brand (dhb) are quite thick and I like them. I've also got some Parkrun ones (expensive but they pay their workers a good wage) and I like those.
This sounds like canicross runners have allot of tights, but we only run in the winter and we get very muddy.
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

Be very wary of the seam placement on running tights! They also aren't likely to be cut so high in the back which you need on the bike. Not wanting to sound negative, just something to be cautious of.

My partner (also curvy) has had some success with jodhpurs as they're built for basically the same body position, some can be very stiff though.

Velo Vixen have a great range of specific riding kit which might be worth a look, not sure how much will be unpadded though.

I may have missed this, but have you tried bibs? Taking away the restriction of a waistband (and the draft down your back) is so much more comfortable.

Good luck finding the right thing!

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my CLT-L09 using hovercraft full of eels.
DizzyGil

Post by DizzyGil »

elPedro666 wrote:Be very wary of the seam placement on running tights! They also aren't likely to be cut so high in the back which you need on the bike. Not wanting to sound negative, just something to be cautious of.

My partner (also curvy) has had some success with jodhpurs as they're built for basically the same body position, some can be very stiff though.

Velo Vixen have a great range of specific riding kit which might be worth a look, not sure how much will be unpadded though.

I may have missed this, but have you tried bibs? Taking away the restriction of a waistband (and the draft down your back) is so much more comfortable.

Good luck finding the right thing!

Thank you for your reply. :)

Today I examined a friend's jogging leggings/tights and yes, the seam position was the first thing I noticed that might not be suitable escpecially on long leasure outings.

I used to ride and would not want to wear jodhpurs. Many of those are low-ish waist nowadays. One's position in saddle is upright (unless you are a jockey) so they went with the fashion of low waist. In my experience, they are not flexible enought to make the movement when cycling comfortable.

Bibs I have not tried yet. I wonder if they are too long for me even in a small size?

After giving up my car in December I now cycle to work and although my place of work does not require any dress code I was hoping a decent looking pair of cycle leggins could just about pass as casual leggings. Each trip is about 40minutes so there has to be some comfort and weather protection.

I have stumbled upon Velo Vixen yesterday evening and I might actually try the Endura Luminite Tights if I find them somehwere in XXS size. Further research required I think.
DizzyGil

Post by DizzyGil »

Elizabeth_S wrote:If you are after cheap ones, then the sports shoes own brand are okay, may be too thin though, but look out there in the sales (there is always a sale...), I had some nice asics ones but I gave them to my husband, and wiggle own brand (dhb) are quite thick and I like them. I've also got some Parkrun ones (expensive but they pay their workers a good wage) and I like those.
This sounds like canicross runners have allot of tights, but we only run in the winter and we get very muddy.

Thank you for yet more recommendations I didn't know about. Plenty of choices now ... :)
Ascis looks interesting and Wiggle is another site I stumbled upon yesterday.
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

Honestly - and apologies in advance because I know this isn't really what you asked for - for a forty minute commute (same as mine), I would wholeheartedly recommend ditching the saddle cover and investing in a quality pair of padded bib tights, plus a small dry-bag to carry clean, dry trousers, knickers & socks to wear at work. Spending the working day in the soggy tights you rode there in just isn't fun! [emoji38]

Tricyclebell

Post by Tricyclebell »

I am 4ft 10 inches and currently ride in Funkier junior tights. They do have a seat pad but it is scaled down to junior size so it does not feel like you are wearing a nappy. They are not particularly high waisted but I am of very slight build and these tights do not slip down so are very comfortable. On very cold days I pull on a pair of Craghopper ladies velocity tights over the funkies, the Craghoppers have a bit more room in the legs so slide over the funkies easily and because they are roomy they trap more heat. Have ridden the bike for 40 years and this is the best winter combination I have ever had.
DizzyGil

Post by DizzyGil »

elPedro666 wrote:Honestly - and apologies in advance because I know this isn't really what you asked for - for a forty minute commute (same as mine), I would wholeheartedly recommend ditching the saddle cover and investing in a quality pair of padded bib tights, plus a small dry-bag to carry clean, dry trousers, knickers & socks to wear at work. Spending the working day in the soggy tights you rode there in just isn't fun! [emoji38]

Actually, I have done part of what you suggested. I got a pair of Muddy Fox Cycling 3/4 leggins (dreaming of warmer days ...). They are padded. And this allowed me to get rid of the saddle cover. It is more comoftable with padding attached to the body but the padding is too wide between legs and that part is uncomfortable. To stay warm I wear a pair of ordinary tights underneath but to be fair, I never get cold legs.

I also tried a pair of Madison leggings (unpadded). But they are not tight enough around the waist. At least the Muddy Fox ones have a drawstring. And are actually better made. The search continues ...

And yes, the dry bag is a must, i discovered that the other day when I got drenched on the way to work ...
DizzyGil

Post by DizzyGil »

Tricyclebell wrote:I am 4ft 10 inches and currently ride in Funkier junior tights. They do have a seat pad but it is scaled down to junior size so it does not feel like you are wearing a nappy. They are not particularly high waisted but I am of very slight build and these tights do not slip down so are very comfortable. On very cold days I pull on a pair of Craghopper ladies velocity tights over the funkies, the Craghoppers have a bit more room in the legs so slide over the funkies easily and because they are roomy they trap more heat. Have ridden the bike for 40 years and this is the best winter combination I have ever had.

That is an interesting suggestion ... I shall have a closer look at the Funkier junior tights, especially because of the scaled down padding. Thank you!