Coccyx Pain

RickH

Re: Coccyx Pain

Post by RickH »

horizon wrote: 29 Sep 2021, 12:59pm I can't think of a disadvantage of this bike compared to a standard tandem except the price:

https://hasebikes.com/95-1-Tandem-PINO-ALLROUND.html

It's sad that a bike that can replace a car costs alsmost as much as one, about £6000 IIRC. And it would solve the OP's issue.
There is also the similar, but somewhat less expensive, Circe Morpheus. (I've no personal experience but have had a conventional pattern Helios in the fleet since 2010.)
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

Have you considered a suspension seatpost?
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Thehairs1970 wrote: 28 Nov 2021, 1:12pm Have you considered a suspension seatpost?
She has one of these.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/seat-posts/ ... 2mm-black/
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I also have coccyx problems sine I damaged mine twenty five years ago when skiing (ok, I fell on ice outside a bar!) and it’s been problematic ever since with cycling.

I’ve experimented with various saddles as I also find it gradually gets worse on a long tour. I currently have a rido saddle which is the best solution for the coccyx that I have found and was transformative. However it’s not perfect for women (and I’m fairly narrow hipped) and I also found it somewhat uncomfortable for long rides (not coccyx wise but general comfort- it could be because I didn’t do that much riding except touring and broke it in on tour in the USA).

I’ve currently bodged a solution with one of the gel sports bike covers (not a big squashy cover- I had to cut a small slice in it to make it fit) and that helps a lot with the comfort but does leave a small residue of coccyx pain again cumulatively- I started noticing it after about a week of touring on the longer days. It seems a reasonable compromise together with not doing excessively long days but I’ll keep an eye out for a perfect solution. I got the R2. I might be better with the other design I suspect,

https://www.rido-cycling.com/bring-comf ... s-reviews/
Last edited by MrsHJ on 27 Dec 2021, 11:30pm, edited 3 times in total.
L+1

Post by L+1 »

Please get in touch if you would like to borrow a Rido R2, as suggested by MrsHJ in her message above. It certainly is a different seating experience to your usual saddle!
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

L+1 wrote: 26 Dec 2021, 10:21am Please get in touch if you would like to borrow a Rido R2, as suggested by MrsHJ in her message above. It certainly is a different seating experience to your usual saddle!
PM sent
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

iandusud wrote: 27 Dec 2021, 2:39pm
L+1 wrote: 26 Dec 2021, 10:21am Please get in touch if you would like to borrow a Rido R2, as suggested by MrsHJ in her message above. It certainly is a different seating experience to your usual saddle!
PM sent
Could she let us know how she gets on Ian? Obviously I’m interested in this subject given my own experiences.I really could do with an x ray for my coccyx one day to see if there is any evidence of what’s wrong.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

MrsHJ wrote: 27 Dec 2021, 11:29pm
iandusud wrote: 27 Dec 2021, 2:39pm
PM sent
Could she let us know how she gets on Ian? Obviously I’m interested in this subject given my own experiences.I really could do with an x ray for my coccyx one day to see if there is any evidence of what’s wrong.
Of course. I hope to be able to give a favourable report.