Coccyx Pain

iandusud

Coccyx Pain

Post by iandusud »

My wife and I have just returned from a wonderful two weeks touring on our tandem. However my wife suffers from acute pain in her coccyx which generally shows up after around 1h45 of riding, requiring a rest (no bad thing) and thereafter every 45 minutes or so. However it is spoiling what is otherwise something that she (and I) enjoy enormously. We've had the tandem for over three years now and are out on it most weekends doing 40-50 miles and ride it midweek as it is our only form of transport since we abandoned the car. We have tried various saddles and the best has proven to be the current one which is a B17S Imperial. This gives the best support on the sit bones whereas the other saddles have caused sit bone soreness. My wife is 56 years old and weighs 76kg. She has had coccyx pain when sitting on hard surfaces since the birth of one of our children, so there is an issue there. Do any of you ladies recognise this condition and have any recommendations? I'm thinking along the lines of a saddle that has a pronounced gap between the two halves at the rear to alleviate pressure on the coccyx, such the SMP TRK but they look somewhat padded which I fear may cause pain in the sit bone area.

Thank you
Jdsk

Re: Coccyx Pain

Post by Jdsk »

It's called coccydynia or sometimes coccygodynia . Hope that helps with the search.

NHS advice:
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/tailbone-pain-coccydynia/

Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coccydynia

NICE guidance:
https://www.evidence.nhs.uk/search?q=coccyx+pain

Cochrane Reviews, with links to individual trials:
https://www.cochranelibrary.com/advance ... ydynia&t=1

Jonathan
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for the links. My wife is well read up regarding this condition! A good number of reviews from women of the SMP TRK saddle specifically refer to relief from coccyx pain, so I am hopeful that this might be the answer.

Ian
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Does your wife suffer in this way after cycling on a solo machine? My reason for asking is that a tandem stoker's position is often a compromise and their saddle can be right over the back wheel. The softest saddle available may not help if that's the main cause.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

TBH she never rides for extended periods on her solo bike so I couldn't answer that question. However I suspect that the problem is related more to damaged coccyx than specifically to the tandem. I should also add that the tandem is fitted with a good parallelogram action suspension seatpost.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I appreciate there's an existing condition that is being aggravated by something; all I'm saying is that it's possible it may be the tandem rather than the seat.

FWIW, your thread title may not be best to attract the attention of those who may be able to help. Perhaps if you include a reference to "when riding a tandem" you may get more input.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

thirdcrank wrote: 16 Aug 2021, 12:04pm I appreciate there's an existing condition that is being aggravated by something; all I'm saying is that it's possible it may be the tandem rather than the seat.

FWIW, your thread title may not be best to attract the attention of those who may be able to help. Perhaps if you include a reference to "when riding a tandem" you may get more input.
Hi Thirdcrank,

I appreciate the point you're making, but other than changing to a recumbent tandem I don't see any way of eliminating the (conventional) tandem element from the equation. Getting a tandem has been such wonderful transformation to our cycling I can't see us ever going back to solos for extended rides together. We did actually use our solos recently as we needed to travel by train to Sheffield and cycle at the other end. This merely served to highlight the disparity in our strength with my wife struggling up all the hills with me not breaking a sweat.

Ian
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

When I was trying to alleviate perineal pressure I tried experimenting with raised foam pads, one under each sitbone, and that was actually causing coccyx pain. (I also tried an SMP TRK which many rate quite highly, but it was too wide, and biting into the backs of my thighs.)
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

axel_knutt wrote: 16 Aug 2021, 1:54pm When I was trying to alleviate perineal pressure I tried experimenting with raised foam pads, one under each sitbone, and that was actually causing coccyx pain. (I also tried an SMP TRK which many rate quite highly, but it was too wide, and biting into the backs of my thighs.)
Hi, thank you for your reply. Two questions: What saddle are you now using? What is your riding position, upright or leaning forward? My wife sits pretty upright and I therefore suspect that a wider saddle wouldn't present this thigh rubbing issues that you have had??

Ian
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I’d agree the SMP Trk is a wide saddle and I too found it rubbed my inner thigh.
I’d also say SMP saddles are shaped to cup your ischial ramus and not, I believe, made for an upright position.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Paulatic and Axel_Knutt can I ask if you women as this is relevant to my question.

Thanks, Ian
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

iandusud wrote: 16 Aug 2021, 2:45pm Paulatic and Axel_Knutt can I ask if you women as this is relevant to my question.

Thanks, Ian
I am not a woman although I do have a pelvis and Coccyx albeit possibly on a different angle but not a done deal. Part of your question referred to a SMP TRK saddle which I have experience of indeed I ride with a SMP Hybrid saddle. SMP saddles are unisex because as I mentioned earlier you sit on your ramus, not the sit bone, whether you are a man or woman.
However if you believe that saddle problems are unique to the sexes I wish you luck in your search for knowledge.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

My wife always had a minor problem but at about age 50 we were on a rough track and she came down hard on a section. She hasn't ridden in the 14 years since and needs a cushion or cell foam mat with her now when our.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 16 Aug 2021, 7:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

Paulatic wrote: 16 Aug 2021, 3:55pm I am not a woman although I do have a pelvis and Coccyx albeit possibly on a different angle but not a done deal.
Pelvic anatomy is markedly different between sexes. Landusud's wife's problem and its solution are probably gender-specific. More importantly, the problem and solution may well be specific to her.

The ideal person to assess the problem and develop solutions is a physiotherapist with experience in treating cyclists. (Experience with cyclists is desirable but not a necessity. Good physios are good analysts and problem-solvers, but cycling-specific experience is likely to make the process quicker.) General suggestions can be made at a distance, but if those suggestions don't solve the problem then the assessment and problem-solving/treatment can only be done effectively in person, with the physio, the stoker, the tandem, and ideally the captain all in one place at one time.

A good bicycle fitting might be all that's needed, but the fitter needs to be experienced and first-rate, not someone who prescribes by formula without understanding anatomy or listening to the client. That route could be well worth pursuing if there's no suitable physio waiting in the wings.

Good luck with this. The rewards will more than justify the effort.
marylogic

Post by marylogic »

The only time I have ever suffered much with coccyx pain on a bike is when I have done longer sessions on the turbo. I tend to sit more upright on the turbo and I also don’t get out the saddle much, which I suspect is a similar situation to being a stoker. I found trying to get out the saddle more and spending more time leaning forward helped. I don’t know if either of these strategies would be an option?

Mary