Thinning the herd

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
nobrakes

Thinning the herd

Post by nobrakes »

Just in case anybody’s interested I am going to be putting my Nazca Fuego and M5 CHR up for sale soon. I’m going all in on trikes and need the cash to fund a VTX. The M5 is a very high spec build and I have just about every accessory going for the Fuego including 2 seats (1 carbon), pannier rack, side bars and 2 sets of handlebars, tiller and aerosteer.

Will post more details soon once I’ve done a bit of work to prep them for sale, but I may be interested if anybody is looking to trade a VTX. I’d consider a straight swap for the CHR if it was a decent spec.
belgiangoth

Re: Thinning the herd

Post by belgiangoth »

I'd be interested in the full version of your musings that brought you to this point.
(And I expect your bikes are well out of my price range - even if I hadn't just made an incredibly excessive purchase).
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
nobrakes

Post by nobrakes »

belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Hmmm, there you say you will keep the Fuego, here you have changed your mind. I reckon a good two-wheeled bent is well worth having in the stable.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
nobrakes

Post by nobrakes »

Yes, wise advice. I’ll see how I feel once I’ve sold the m5. Maybe the Fuego is the bike I should stick to and save the extra money. I just want to have a quality ride that doesn’t have many shortcomings or annoyances. The Fuego does tick all those boxes, other than the superior relaxation and lack of stress of 3 wheels.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I guess it depends how many bikes you can justify. If you prefer to train and compete/participate on an upright then it might negate having a fast 'bent. Trikes are good in bad conditons, although riding them on a narrow roads with cr*p down the middle and blind bends is not relaxing. I'm finding Nirvana with my LWB at the moment: riding it is very relaxing, easy to stop/start, has the advantages of a single wheel track and is quicker than a trike on all gradients and has better visibility.
nobrakes

Post by nobrakes »

Fast bent negation - yes. Faster on a road bike. Less stress, not an audaxer. Slower max speeds and not pushing the envelope in the same way on a road bike. If I did audax the m5 would be the perfect bike, but I prefer the road bike for competitive riding and the other bents are more suitable for non competitive fun rides.

I know what you mean about single track roads with crap down the middle on 3 wheels (that describes nearly every road I ride :) )but I still find that a lot less stressful than piloting a performance bent at speed through the same crap and potholes. I think I internalised some trauma and have the fear about crashes - I am simply not comfortable at high speed on 2 wheels any more. Had the trike up to 45mph on Saturday and was cackling to myself. Much more comfortable at speed on 3 wheels.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Makes a lot of sense.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

nobrakes wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 4:51pm I know what you mean about single track roads with crap down the middle on 3 wheels

I still recall doing 50mph down a hill in snowdonia with the 6' flag attached to my rank cracking in the wind. Left wheel on a pretty poor road surface, right wheel on central grass, rear wheel probably also on the same rubbish surface.

Fortunately a really good sightline (and a long line of cyclists for me to overtake...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
nobrakes

Post by nobrakes »

Thought I would revisit this thread for the sake of completeness. The m5 is gone, I kept the Fuego. Not much Fuego riding going on due to ongoing foot pain problems but it’s just too nice a bike to sell. In a way I regret my deviation into performance bents via the Cruzbike and m5, and I wish I’d bought a Gaucho 28 high racer when they were still available. It feels like it would be the perfect bent for me now. The performance bents are just eyeball rattling grimace inducing experiences on uk roads. The Fuego feels good to ride so I’m hopeful to get that sorted eventually and get back on it properly.

Despite what I said upthread I am starting to get into audaxing. Did a few 200s last year and hoping to go longer this year.

I replaced the m5 with a Mason SLR steel road bike. New model, very nice and smooth. Takes nice wide tyres and fits mudguards. It’s getting most of my love at the moment.

I’ve ordered a set of catalyst xl pedals from the states which was really expensive but I have a theory that my feet problems on the bent will improve if i use pedals that are long enough to allow my feet arches to function the way nature intended - we’ll see how that goes!

I use minimalist shoes for walking and running so it seems like the right thing to do to try the same on bikes. Hard to get pedals big enough to support both ends of my muckle flippers but the catalysts are really long. Here’s hoping…
hercule

Post by hercule »

Any further thoughts on the VTX? I think mine’s the bee’s knees especially on our country roads with unexpected gravelly patches on corners. Mind you, when I looked up current prices I was glad I bought mine when I did!
nobrakes

Post by nobrakes »

Yes I still would fancy one but the m5 sale VTX fund was spent on the SLR instead. I’ve
drifted somewhat away from the dark side at the moment. I may yet come back :)
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Regarding getting comfortable pedals on the Fuego, you might think about trying platforms rather than cleated pedals.Because of a disabilty I cannot safely use cleats on 2 wheels. I've not had a problem usiing platform pedals on 'bent bikes. Yes, very very occasionally a foot might slip off a pedal but I've never had a foot make contact with the ground.

I'm ok with standard minimalist platforms but there are longer designs such as:
https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/compo ... ls-review/ and
https://freshtripe.co.uk/mks-lambda-pedals/

which I both have but not using, so would consider parting with if you thought they were worth trying.
nobrakes

Post by nobrakes »

UpWrong - yes I have a set of catalyst XLs to order to try this already. I am currently running Rockbros large platforms which are a copy of the OneUp ones. They’re not bad but I want something that will support both ends of the foot arch. Hopefully the Catalyst pedals will be the solution. I too find minimal slip issues on the large platforms. The m5 BB was too high but the Fuego isn’t so bad.