Stratus XP vs Paseo

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
UpWrong

Stratus XP vs Paseo

Post by UpWrong »

In the red corner, we have the Nazca Paseo weighing in at about 39lbs. Featuring:
Carbon seat at 37 degrees
Aerobars
Rigid aluminium front fork
32-559 folding Panaracer PT rear tyre
38-406 folding 120 tpi Maxxis DTH front tyre
17-559 Mavic Crossride rear wheel with bladed spokes
18-406 Velocity Aeroheat front wheel, Shimano 105 hub
150mm cranks
Gear range 19.2” to 90.4”
Suspension (a good implementation of a single pivot design with no apparent pogo)

In the grey corner we have a RANS Stratus XP weighing in at around 35lbs. Featuring:
20” front wheel conversion lowering the front end
Chopper bars with plastic tape fairing
Upright standard RANS seat, although I sit towards the front of it leaning back
42-559 folding Panaracer PT rear tyre
49-406 folding 120 tpi Maxxis DTH front tyre
20-559 Alex X101 rear wheel with Shimano Deore Hub
24-406 Halo Sub4 front wheel with Shimano XT Hub
Titanium TA Axix BB
165mm cranks
Gear range 20.2 to 108.5

Both machines have mudguards, racks and kickstands. ;

I regularly ride a 14.75 mile circuit with 652ft of climbing. Some narrow roads in poor condition, some shared paths. Usually encounter one or two horse riders on a Sunday. I always take care, and give way at junctions etc.

My best average speed on the Paseo is 10.1 mph, and 11.5 mph on the XP (today). The XP is much quicker on the climbs probably because of the triangulated rear frame and direct chain line. I think the hip angle is a bit more open on the Paseo but not by much, maybe 5 degrees. The Paseo just shades it on downhills. I had a very clear run on the XP today which might account for some of the difference.

What I noticed today was being able to power through broken road surfaces on the XP, whereas on the Paseo I might freewheel and brace to be shaken. I remain more confident in traffic on the XP, changing down later to lower gears etc. although I’m no longer nervous about junctions and stopping/starting on the Nazca. I’m sure I can do better on the Paseo. Watch this space.
Last edited by UpWrong on 21 Jun 2021, 1:13pm, edited 1 time in total.
squeaker

Re: Stratus XP vs Paseo

Post by squeaker »

Clearly; wider tyres are faster :roll: :lol:
"42"
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

squeaker wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 10:23am Clearly; wider tyres are faster :roll: :lol:
Clearly :lol: . I do have another set of wheels for the Paseo with the same tyres as the RANS but I switched back to narrow rims and tyres to reduce the weight. Incidentally the 49-406 Maxxis DTH is actually slightly bigger than a 50-406 Big Apple. When I ran the former on the Paseo it left very little clearance to the front mudguard so I swapped it for a BA. But the lighter rim and tyre saved a lot of weight, at least 250g on the front wheel alone.

I didn't mention tyre pressures above. Approximately
XP: 40 front, 50 rear
Paseo: 50 front, 65 rear.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Same ride on the Paseo tonight with a new best on that bike at 11.0 mph average. Had some trouble with a low sun which meant I couldn't see the potholes or my shifter's gear indicator. I hit a pothole at one point totally unseen, smashing my shin on the handlebars. I didn't have the best luck with traffic at junctions either. I had some personal bests on the downhill sections.

I think I've improved my pedalling technique and Iearned to keep my upper body relaxed, Instead of pushing the pedals I am pushing through the pedals using my hip flexors.