winter on a bent

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
aideym

winter on a bent

Post by aideym »

I am now approaching 500 miles on my trusty Challenge Furai 24. It has been an interesting but mostly enjoyable time. Most of the drive train has now been replaced but it still gives the occasional annoying issues. I have come to accept the challenges of getting a recumbent through tight spaces that weren't tight before I bought it and love swooping into fast bends faster than I ever did. I even enjoy the unclipping for speedway style slow cornering. I actually make it look like I am in control most of the time. I haven't and doubt I ever will get used to the pedal strike but my partner has and no longer shrieks in terror as I get a bit squirrelly for no reason. However winter is looming, two issues have brought concern to me of late, The Canal and Waterways Trust recently decided to destroy my local NCN to work by resurfacing with pea gravel over an already hardcore surface. I have spent a little too much time trying to avoid falling into the cut. Last night I was coming home in the rain. This was the first bit of rain for a while and the road surface was treacherous. I found in both circumstances that it was as much luck as skill that kept me upright and with winter coming I am not sure the bent is suitable transport. What do the hardened laid back riders do come winter as I need to make some choices soon.?
Cunobelin

Re: winter on a bent

Post by Cunobelin »

Trike!

That is all
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Three wheels - and if the ice really comes down then I add studded tyres - but there has to be good reason for them to come out...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Three wheels - and if the ice really comes down then I add studded tyres - but there has to be good reason for them to come out...
+1, but just a studded rear (for drive traction) is usually enough ;)
"42"
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I've not fitted the fronts,me isn't need any last year, but stopping has been an issue on occasion...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

On two wheels, when the road is wet, mucky or gravelly, I've found that the major factor is my own confidence. It's actually the same when riding an upwrong. I'm going along quite nicely and suddenly come across a bend with a wet surface and my body stiffens. I end up taking a wider line and/or braking whilst in the bend. I suppose it's what the TdF commentators refer to as "bike handling skills" (or lack of, in my case)

The more confidence I got on the 'bent (miles under my belt) the more I'd ride on unsuitable surfaces - tow paths, green lanes, even snow and ice (though with caution).

I've now got a trike as well. So, at temperatures around, or below, zero I no longer think about two wheels.
aideym

Post by aideym »

Thanks for all the replies, I certainly won't be going for a trike as they leave me totally cold but perhaps lower tyre pressure and spare undies will see me through. I think I will build up a mountain bike frame with a pair of dirty sanchez style handlebars for the brief forays to work and save the Furai for when the weather is fine. I managed to destroy the centre idler yesterday, so I suspect the bike is ready for a proper spend fest anyway.