Recumbent trike transport by car

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
comandor77

Recumbent trike transport by car

Post by comandor77 »

I have a question for you, how you transport your trikes by car. I use the "search machine : ) " but I found nothing.
I am thinking about something like that:

http://www.hitchrider.com/trikes.htm

Of course my own performance by using something like that, with a little adaptation:
squeaker

Re: Recumbent trike transport by car

Post by squeaker »

Roof rack (2 bars) with rear wheel removed - rear of trike rests on rear bar with rear mech dangling over car's rear hatch, front wheels strapped to front bar? No pix, but try search on bentrideronline.com for ideas.
And seat removed ;)
HTH
"42"
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Eitehr fold it inside, or just fold seats down.

Alternatively I've see roof rails - take what I always called a roof rack, but apparently is now just called roof bars, and lash three lengths of "gutter" (you can do better) lengthwise. Then pop the trike on and tie the wheels down.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
comandor77

Post by comandor77 »

Thanks Bob and squeaker for suggestions.
Hmm. I am 167cm height and 58 kg weigh. In addition, I have a van - Xsara Picasso :) so, transport on the roof It's impossible :( .
Therefore I am looking for something on the hook.
Furthermore, I don't want too much to disassemble my machine for transport.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

comandor77 wrote:... have a van - Xsara Picasso....
Fold rear seats down, poke trike rear wheel covered with an old towel between front seats - sorted! (Or is it still too long?)
"42"
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

For tadpole trike, one transverse roof bar at the front. Roll trike up the rear hatch and rest front wheels against bar and bind with bungee cords. Use flat nylon webbing or cord to secure rear wheel to rear passenger door grab handles on both sides. Wind webbing cord around rim before securing to handles through open rear doors, then close rear doors. I did this on multiple occasions and never had a problem.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Trikes are not an issue and can fit on a normal bike rack

I have successfully carried the Catrike and Gekko on a normal rack

Depending on wheelbase either mount with the cross bar of the trike and the rear wheel down and attached to the towing ring. Otherwise t'other way up and secure the rear wheel to the roof
hercule

Post by hercule »

I managed to fit two Kettwiesels into our Xsara Picasso - it was the LWB model mind, but there was plenty of room to spare as I recall. For your trike removing the rear wheel will shorten it a useful amount.

I've never been keen on the idea of lashing my pride and joy to a car roof anyhow!
jayjay

Post by jayjay »

I don't know if you can see the picture in the link below, Comandor - if you can't see it (Facebook) then say so and I will post it somewhere else for you.
V
V
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 536%2C2048
Built f' comfort.
OldBloke

Post by OldBloke »

Could you use something like this but strapped to the hatch/boot:

http://shop.terratrike.com/product-p/tt600207.htm

OB

If I'm wrong blame Tapatalk.
comandor77

Post by comandor77 »

Thank you for your advice, but I think I'll go in this way. I think this is the easiest way of transportation.

http://www.colliertechnologies.com/trike_carriers.html

Load the trike onto the roof of the vehicle, it is impossible for me alone, so drops out.

OldBloke wrote:Could you use something like this but strapped to the hatch/boot:

It is acceptable, but it is more difficult to assembly.

Thanks guys.
OldBloke

Post by OldBloke »

The Collier rack looks like a good simple solution. One thing to consider is the length of the trike compared to the width of your car. If the trike sticks out past the sides of your car too much you can risk damaging it.

OB

If I'm wrong blame Tapatalk.
comandor77

Post by comandor77 »

OldBloke wrote:The Collier rack looks like a good simple solution. One thing to consider is the length of the trike compared to the width of your car. If the trike sticks out past the sides of your car too much you can risk damaging it.

My car has a 175 cm width, my trike has 220cm total width. It gives approximately 25 cm per side. An ordinary trailer protrudes more, but I will have to be careful as always.