Radius Viper

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
firedfromthecircus

Radius Viper

Postby firedfromthecircus » 20 Jan 2016, 10:12am

Finally got myself a copy of Fehlau Gunnars Recumbents book and saw mention of the Radius Viper.
I was aware of the Peer Gynt, Dino and Hornet but hadn't heard of the Viper. Interesting looking LWB bike with dual 20" wheels and an intermediate drive. Rear suspension as well.

So the point of the post is to ask if anyone has experience of them? Own/ed one, ridden one etc. Were they any good? I know the Peer Gynt was well regarded by those who like LWB and the Viper was it's successor. So was it an improvement or was it the reason Radius was sold and then stopped producing bikes?

[XAP]Bob

Re: Radius Viper

Postby [XAP]Bob » 20 Jan 2016, 10:15am

That pic doesn't look like an intermediate drive to me, just dual idlers.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

firedfromthecircus

Postby firedfromthecircus » 20 Jan 2016, 3:53pm

The image I was going to link was too big, but have a look here and tell me I'm wrong.

http://www.liegefunbiker.de/assets/imag ... nitten.jpg

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 20 Jan 2016, 3:55pm

That one is, the one above isn't...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

hercule

Postby hercule » 20 Jan 2016, 8:13pm

It looks like the blue one above has a Sachs 3x7 hybrid system... I've never seen a Radius in the metal, but IME the Sachs gearing makes it a good choice for bents, especially since you can change to a lower gear when stationary!

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 20 Jan 2016, 8:25pm

hercule wrote:It looks like the blue one above has a Sachs 3x7 hybrid system... I've never seen a Radius in the metal, but IME the Sachs gearing makes it a good choice for bents, especially since you can change to a lower gear when stationary!

My Hurricane has a 3x7 and it does work well

I added a manual change 44/ 85 chain ring on the front (Pull the chain over manually) to give a fantastically wide 42 gear setup

Swizz69

Postby Swizz69 » 23 Jan 2016, 6:11pm

Maybe the middrive was an option. It'll certainly give a huge range.