IOW Randonnee - which bent?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
UpWrong

IOW Randonnee - which bent?

Post by UpWrong »

I've registed for this 100K ride (again) on 1st May 2016. Previously completed it on an ICE T, Catrike Speed, Bacchetta Giro, ICE Sprint 26 and Thorn Audax. I'm pondering whether to take bike or trike this year. It's hilly so not sure if the Catrike 700 has a low enough gear (bottom around 22.5"). My Metabikes is nicely geared (bottom around 21.5", below that I fall over), not sure how comfy the ride will be on the damaged back roads though.
firedfromthecircus

Re: IOW Randonnee - which bent?

Post by firedfromthecircus »

You've completed this 100K ride on 5 different machines which means you've done it at least 5 times, and you have a new trike and a new bike that are not all that common. Certainly the Catrike 700 over here anyway.
I'm not sure there will be many people in a position to give you advice from a more experienced perspective! :lol:

That said, I'd recommend the Metabikes and try to get a pb. :wink:
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Time to learn the unicycle?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I was interested to know what else participants might be riding this year :D ?
deryck

Post by deryck »

UpWrong could you let me know which bike made the randonee easiest please? Thanks
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

If you are not in a hurry, then trike is easier than bike - no need to balance up the hills. The ICE T with rear suspension was great. Otherwise the DF is easiest if you can tolerate the stress on neck/shoulders/backside etc. The Giro was a bit of a challenge, I was slower than I was hoping for.
deryck

Post by deryck »

Thanks for letting me know, I've been considering whether to bent or diamond frame around the island - in fact also which one to use on a tour around Europe. The tour with a bent concerns me as I'm not sure how easy it is to secure overnight in b&b.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I've done tours of Holland and France using the Giro with an underseat rack. No more difficult to secure than a DF. Most hotels had a store room or garage for bikes.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Where are you starting from? That determines whether you are tackling the bigger climbs at the beginning or end...
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

UpWrong wrote:The ICE T with rear suspension was great.
Not to mention the 16" bottom gear :wink: (I assume you had the 26T on it then?) 22.5" sounds a bit high for a comfortable climbing gear though :shock:
I have enjoyed both Randonnees I've done on the 'T' - not the quickest, though :lol: Might ride it again this year, depending upon SWIMBO's wishes.
"42"
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I'm tempted to do something like the WWC again, but wondering whether to go completely insane and try it on the Raptobike :)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

[XAP]Bob wrote:I'm tempted to do something like the WWC again, but wondering whether to go completely insane and try it on the Raptobike :)

Did it a few years back on my Raptobike: OK except for one slightly iffy T-junction with free gravel :roll:
"42"
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I power slid round a corner on the trike a while back - that was apparently quite impressive. It was a sharp corner, unseen until late (to the extent that there was a signpost there) and I went into it at serious speed, sideways through the corner across amounts of gravel, and exited it, still at speed, with a few inches to spare before the edge of the road.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I do have another option - a RANS Stratus XP. Very comfortable for an unsuspended bike, good visibility, easy stopping and starting. Not as easy as the Metabikes when climbing hills though. I'm commuting on it this week, to see if that helps me make up my mind.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I did the ride on Sunday - great weather, great scenery. I didn't see any bents and I have to confess I wasn't on one either. I took my Raleigh after fitting it with a pair of Vittoria Voyager Hyper tyres, which have been raved about on this forum. They didn't work, I was only 30 mins quicker over the 6 hours riding than on a trike. Next year I'll be taking the Catrike 700 after lowering the gears :D