Buying mudguards

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
belgiangoth

Buying mudguards

Postby belgiangoth » 5 Aug 2016, 7:06am

I have a speedmachine, so front 20" and rear 26". It has some sort of rear mudguard, but no front mudguard; ideally I would fit front and back sks mudguards or the like. Can anyone recommend a better option than buying two sets of mudguards for the different wheel sizes?
If I had a baby elephant I would let it sleep in the garage in place of the car. If I had either a garage or a car. (I miss sigs about baby elephants)

Brucey

Re: Buying mudguards

Postby Brucey » 5 Aug 2016, 9:40pm

with care, and some heat, you can usually reshape a chromoplastic mudguard to fit a smaller wheel.

Put it this way, if you already have a front mudguard that is the wrong size, you have little to choose by trying it.

Quite probably an LBS scrap bin will have a broken chromoplastic mudguard that you might be able to experiment with?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

belgiangoth

Postby belgiangoth » 5 Aug 2016, 10:33pm

Do you really reckon I could resize a 700c to 20"?.
Might be worth looking to see if I can swap parts as a first step.
If I had a baby elephant I would let it sleep in the garage in place of the car. If I had either a garage or a car. (I miss sigs about baby elephants)

Loomis

Postby Loomis » 6 Aug 2016, 1:20pm

You could try Cycle Centric, who deal with Bacchetta parts. Bacchetta list a specific mudguard set, which I have for my Giro 20 with 26 and 20 wheels, and is extremely good quality. Probably a bit pricey though, but very robust, and will take a good sized tyre. Has the usual stays and fittings for a normal bike, all in stainless.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 7 Aug 2016, 9:39pm

belgiangoth wrote:Do you really reckon I could resize a 700c to 20"?.

yes, if you put your mind to it.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 7 Aug 2016, 9:40pm

Should get decent wrap around as well, something more important on a bent.

http://webshop.raptobike.nl/accessories ... ?mode=list
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

belgiangoth

Postby belgiangoth » 8 Aug 2016, 2:15pm

Cheers Bob, just about exactly what I was after! Seen similar in the uk for £40, which seemed to me more expensive than buying a 26 and a 20 and using only half...

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 8 Aug 2016, 2:17pm

belgiangoth wrote:Cheers Bob, just about exactly what I was after! Seen similar in the uk for £40, which seemed to me more expensive than buying a 26 and a 20 and using only half...

I need to do a half and half for my Rapto as well, so if that is cheaper (shared, so one extra set of postage)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

tank

Postby tank » 11 Aug 2016, 1:18pm

belgiangoth

Have you had a chat to Ben at Kinetics?

He sells the Street Machine from his Glasgow office. He may be able to get a set of HP mudguards for you. If he orders them as part of a bike they are £35 (according to his website) not sure if buying them seperately changes the price though.
Lonely recumbent rider

HP Velotechnik Street Machine GTe
Metabikes Metaphysics
Hase Pino
HPV Velotechnik Scorpion

belgiangoth

Postby belgiangoth » 12 Aug 2016, 10:22am

Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like a number of shops do the 20" for about £20 and the 26" for a bit less. If any of them sold both it would probably arrive free of postage, which would make it about the same as buying from raptobike. Bikefix want £40+8 for postage, will ask Ben.
I wonder whether
1 - additional consideration is needed for suspension and disk brakes; the only thing I've seen online is that many street/speed machine owners have had rear guards break - possibly due to suspension.
2 - a 700c guard would fit, these are far more common (therefore more likely to be stocked by a shop which sells the 20")

BlackPanther

Postby BlackPanther » 16 Aug 2016, 6:19pm

I cut down a 26 inch skis mudguard to fit the Trice. I used a hacksaw, then just pulled it tighter by shortening the steel rods, which I also cut down to size. With the mudguard extender, and rubber grommets on the end of the rods, it looks like it was made for the 20 inch wheel. Did this on both my Trices, and also on the Borealis (to prevent back splatter).

Carl.
The photobucket images don't work !!!