Low step through tandem

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
PAB855

Low step through tandem

Post by PAB855 »

Having just returned from a short holiday with my bike and my wife's electric trike( she has a problem with her balance), we have concluded that the trike is perfect for paths and routes nearer home and/or familiar to us. Further afield it can be potentially dangerous because even quiet country roads can be a minefield of adverse cambers, potholes and patches which mean my wife has to be constantly fixing her gaze on the road surface instead of admiring the view and enjoying the ride. At times, she has to go down the middle of the road on single track roads, which isn't ideal.
We are coming to the conclusion we need a different form of transport for holidays and keep the trike for familiar routes.
Is there a tandem with a low step through for the stoker, the facility to allow the stoker to freewheel or pedal independently and the option of electric motor.?
I saw one foreign one, but there is only one UK retailer about 450 miles away! JD Tandems might be worth a try?
[XAP]Bob

Re: Low step through tandem

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Ladies tandems should be available - independent pedalling is somewhat risky with regard to corners... but can be done - or different crank lengths might be an option?

Have you seen/considered the hase pino?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Circe tandems are low step through for both stoker and,though a bit higher,also for the captain,we have one are very pleased with it,here's a first impressions report of ours:- viewtopic.php?f=18&t=106442
They also do a couple of electric assist versions too,one is the integral Shimano Steps system and one is an after market system:- viewtopic.php?f=18&t=106442

The problem will be an independent pedalling facility,I'm not aware of any standard bolt on kit that could facilitate it.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Independent freewheeling normally means a clash of pedals on a conventional tandem. How about a Hase Pino http://www.tandems.co.uk/m3b0s97p97/HAS ... cycle-2016 lots of money but they do come up second hand.

You might get a wider response if you ask this question in the general category "does anybody know". Non standard is usually inhabited by recumbenteers.
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

These are all very helpful tips. I will continue with my search for a solution better informed. many thanks
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

How is she with sitting and standing?

Recumbent trikes have a much greater stability and are unaffected with camber and / or the other problems associated with tricycles.

Not cheap, but may be the answer to your problem
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

Yes I agree. We had a secondhand ICE recumbent trike for about nine months. It was great to ride. We go on regular short runs each week on the cycle track between Bathgate and Hillend Reservoir and Sustrans have set bollards so close together that the Pashley trike has about an inch of clearance. A recumbent couldn't get through. Besides, the trike is more practical for short trips to our local Tesco along narrow footpaths shared with the public ie prams ,some of which are very wide.Thanks Cunobelin
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

One poster has already mentioned Circe tandems - presumably thinking of the Helios model. The Morpheous model or the Has Pino might be worth a look - stoker is up front in recumbent position and can pedal independently.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

PAB855 wrote:Yes I agree. We had a secondhand ICE recumbent trike for about nine months. It was great to ride. We go on regular short runs each week on the cycle track between Bathgate and Hillend Reservoir and Sustrans have set bollards so close together that the Pashley trike has about an inch of clearance. A recumbent couldn't get through. Besides, the trike is more practical for short trips to our local Tesco along narrow footpaths shared with the public ie prams ,some of which are very wide.Thanks Cunobelin

Rare as "hens teeth", but there was an "NT" - Narrow Track version of the Trice that can solve some issues.

The other thing is to speak to the Council(s) about accessibility as there are a number of options. One is gates that have the "RADAR KEY' access, allowing you to open a gate or barrier, pass through and relock, again not ideal, but part of the way

For access problems there are aslo some usefullinks here
KM2

Post by KM2 »

I had a hase pino with my brother. Good for people who don't have the power to contribute much, but an acquired taste. We had the titanium version but it felt like it twisted on corners!!! Even though we were under the weight limit. I felt it needed a smallish person on the front. The steerer at the back was also in a unusual position. Do try one, might be just right.
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

KM2 wrote:I had a hase pino with my brother. Good for people who don't have the power to contribute much, but an acquired taste. We had the titanium version but it felt like it twisted on corners!!! Even though we were under the weight limit. I felt it needed a smallish person on the front. The steerer at the back was also in a unusual position. Do try one, might be just right.

My partner and I have a Circe Morpheus. We tested the Pino against it at the time of purchase and (as above) found that the Pino felt less rigid. The Morpheus is much more precise in handling. I, too, found the position on the back was unusual. I ended up turning the bars backwards, which made it more upright but more comfortable.

However, it's fulfilled all our needs - easy mounting for both of us: independent pedalling for the stoker; comfort for the stoker; easy communication; excellent all round vision for both; good gear range for leisure rides (and ageing riders!!)