tryker

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
canoesailor

Re: tryker

Post by canoesailor »

squeaker wrote:
Tigerbiten wrote:I run Big Apples on the back of my Sprint simply because they have the thickest rubber to wear away before you get down to the carcass. An important point to know if you do a lot of hill climbing in the wet when you can suffer a lot of back tyre slip.
50mm BAs on the front of my Sprint 26: noticeably more comfortable ;)

I was going to run BA on the front but, on my Delta form JT2000 the pedals catch it when turning.
cyclome2

Post by cyclome2 »

I use them in the summer. As others have said, they get cut quite easily and are prone to punctures, compared to heavier wieght tyres. I'm on my third pair and got around 7,000 km (summer use only) out of the first two pairs, with 4 or 6 punctures per tyre. This is better than the Contact Sports I used to use in the summer, where the average tyre life (over 11 tyres) is around 4,900 km. I live in an area with a lot of flints.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I suspect they are only prone to fairy visits where there is a prevalence of flints...
The main tread is reasonably substantial, but the sidewalls are really flexible. Not an issue in some locations, since they should never run on the sidewall...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
BlackPanther

Post by BlackPanther »

canoesailor wrote:Thanks guys, on the whole you seem to be in favour of them, so I've ordered one for the front and if I like it I'll go for the two rear in the new year.

Had to read that twice......keep forgetting we don't all ride tadpoles!

I tried trykers, but they didn't last very long and seemed to have cuts all over, whereas the racers seem to take more punishment. I've found that the racers grip better after a thousand miles or so as they flatten off, and end up looking like Trykers anyway!
Last edited by BlackPanther on 20 Dec 2016, 7:18pm, edited 1 time in total.
The photobucket images don't work !!!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

BlackPanther wrote:
canoesailor wrote:Thanks guys, on the whole you seem to be in favour of them, so I've ordered one for the front and if I like it I'll go for the two rear in the new year.

Had to read that twice......keep forgetting we don't all ride tadpoles!

Lol... so easy to assume...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mark aldridge

Post by mark aldridge »

Does that mean my newish racers will grip better if I take a file to them and hasten the wear process.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Maybe if you spin them up and apply the file as if it was on a lathe, and manage to get it perfectly level....
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

They also work better with air.

14 pbs on strava out of 16 segments on the way home tonight... those two are downhills where I made no effort (half way through redoing gearing again)

Three months after I last checked they were at 30psi :oops:
70psi and shaved 10-15% off my journey times