tryker

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
canoesailor

tryker

Post by canoesailor »

Does anyone use the Schwalbe Tryker, I'm thinking of fitting them and wonder how good they are?
[XAP]Bob

Re: tryker

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Yes - I really like them.
If you ride with flints around they can cut up quite easily though.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

Yes, I like them. I changed from Schwalbe Marathon Racers when worn out, even though I wasn't unhappy with them. It was an appropriate time to test something new. I found that they give a "crisper" feel to the steering. They're slightly faster, too (about 2% for me)
I punctured in two wheels when trying to navigate a 200 metre stretch of hedge trimmings. (Curses !! Why didn't I get off and walk ???) I can't really say if my Racers would have coped any better, or not.
I don't think they're as long lasting as my Racers. But I have no evidence for this, only visible inspection. (My trike was second hand and already had part worn Racers)
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

From my riding - I used to get through 'round' tyres faster than the trekkers - just more rubber on the road...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mark aldridge

Post by mark aldridge »

I have done many thousands of miles on Trykers having got a very good deal on a job lot of them. With hindsight I think I would have been better off staying with Marathon Racers for my heavier duty use. The Trykers are a fast and supple riding tyre but I just got sick and tired of mending punctures and superglueing the flint cuts, the plus point being that with supple walls you can roll them on and off by hand. The Marathon Racers have had a lot of well proven design in them and have been well and truly tested over years of production (the Marathon family of tyres have been around for almost as long as I have been cycling). My personal favourite are Kojaks, I find them fast rolling and the volume of air allows me to descend rutted lanes with little worries for the rims. They are also surprisingly puncture proof, the only downside being their slight lack of longevity. All in all the Trykers, Marathons and Kojaks are all good tyres with + and - points. My advice is to go for the ones on special offer or in bargain bins.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I think that's a flint issue.
On tarmac mine were very resistant - even when down to showing a touch of canvas (oops). I'm on my third or fourth set.
canoesailor

Post by canoesailor »

Thanks guys, on the whole you seem to be in favour of them, so I've ordered one for the front and if I like it I'll go for the two rear in the new year.
deryck

Post by deryck »

I've just started using the schwalbe ones - have not tried the tubeless aspect yet. Thorn have in their brochures that tubeless is the magic bullet.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

canoesailor wrote:Thanks guys, on the whole you seem to be in favour of them, so I've ordered one for the front and if I like it I'll go for the two rear in the new year.

I think the favour/not split is very dependant on the surfaces ridden.

If you ride where there are fine flint chipping then the softness of the rubber is a liability. If you ride without that kind of damage to normal tyres then they do what they say on the tin - put more rubber on the road, and less on the sidewall...
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
canoesailor wrote:Thanks guys, on the whole you seem to be in favour of them, so I've ordered one for the front and if I like it I'll go for the two rear in the new year.

If you ride where there are fine flint chipping then the softness of the rubber is a liability. If you ride without that kind of damage to normal tyres then they do what they say on the tin - put more rubber on the road, and less on the sidewall...

I agree.

The one set I've used where fine cycling to and around Iceland, no punctures in almost 3,000 miles
But fine flint shards in the wet equalled three visits by the puncture fairy in one day on the way back down the Danish coast.

I liked Supreme's but they are not made in 406 size anymore .... :cry:
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

[XAP]Bob wrote:

Yep: flint magnets IME, plus fragile sidewalls - have lost 2 due to sidewall cuts, but I do occasionally ride over very rough gravel for short distances (< 50 metres).
Be interested to hear how the OP gets on with them.
"42"
hercule

Post by hercule »

Another tyre that has piqued my interest is the Schwalbe Shredda - light and low rolling resistance but said to be very grippy. I've been thinking of replacing the Marathon Slick (predecessor to the Racer, I think, was OE on my Trice originally but I took it off as the ride was way too harsh without suspension) with either this or the Tryker. No issues here with flints but I suffer loss of traction on wet or frosty climbs, thought one of these might be better. Has anyone had experience of the Shreddas? Velomobilists seem to like them...

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

I run Marathon Supreme's on the front of my Sprint, but Schwalbe stopped making them in the 406 size last winter. So I'm not sure what I'm going to change to when these one wear out. BA's, Racer's, Tryker's, ???.

I run Big Apples on the back of my Sprint simply because they have the thickest rubber to wear away before you get down to the carcass. An important point to know if you do a lot of hill climbing in the wet when you can suffer a lot of back tyre slip.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Tigerbiten wrote:I run Big Apples on the back of my Sprint simply because they have the thickest rubber to wear away before you get down to the carcass. An important point to know if you do a lot of hill climbing in the wet when you can suffer a lot of back tyre slip.
50mm BAs on the front of my Sprint 26: noticeably more comfortable ;)
"42"
canoesailor

Post by canoesailor »

squeaker wrote:
Tigerbiten wrote:I run Big Apples on the back of my Sprint simply because they have the thickest rubber to wear away before you get down to the carcass. An important point to know if you do a lot of hill climbing in the wet when you can suffer a lot of back tyre slip.
50mm BAs on the front of my Sprint 26: noticeably more comfortable ;)

I was going to run BA on the front but, on my Delta form JT2000 the pedals catch it when turning.