Chain tubes when to replace where to buy

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
NUKe

Chain tubes when to replace where to buy

Post by NUKe »

A couple of my chain tubes on the grasshopper are starting to split at the ends, which I suppose is to be expected, I have put insulating tape around, and the work fine.

1. How do you know when they need replacing
2. where to buy
3. Are there different types, Are some better than others,
NUKe

Re: Chain tubes when to replace where to buy

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Replaced mine when they got chewed by the sprockets. ICE sold them, so I'd go to the manufacturer/dealer....
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

NUKe wrote:A couple of my chain tubes on the grasshopper are starting to split at the ends, which I suppose is to be expected, I have put insulating tape around, and the work fine.
Splitting or slot worn by the chain? If the latter then I suspect that either the alignment is not good (I trashed the first set on my Grasshopper due to shoddy re-assembly :oops: ) or you've done a massive mileage. I bought a replacement set from Bikefix (including fittings) then made sure of the alignment this time :roll:
I've been advised on the BHPC forum that irrigation tubing like this is OK, but I'm not convinced yet about its friction characteristics as it's LDPE rather than PTFE. I would say that the tubing ICE uses is noticeably low in friction :)

PS: it's relatively easy to trim the split ends off and re-flare using a hot air gun and suitable round ended object, but if the wear groves go a long way up the tube then it definitely is replacement time.
"42"
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Thanks guys

the stuff marked PTFE is Almost certainly made from LDPE and either impregnated or coated with PTFE. My problem with irrigation tubing would be its UV and oil resistance.

I don't know the life of the current tubing, as I bought the bike second hand.

At least I know I can get a set from Bike fix they don't list them But I think I might let it run a little while longer.

Martin
NUKe

Post by UpWrong »

I bought from BikeFix but it was pricey. Next time I might try here http://www.toxy-liegerad.de/Components-spares-accessories/Chain-drive/Chain-tube-per-m::100241100.html
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

I bought 30m of irrigation tubing which has lasted me and my laid back friends for years.

I had concerns that it looked 'softer' than the original tubing and might be 'draggy' but all fears proved groundless, being 'softer' it is much less prone to embrittlement and cracking and it is undegraded by oil over the 10 years I've been using it.

Only downside is the need to invest in a length of dowel rod to assist straightening the tube (with a hot air gun) as it comes as a wound reel.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

squeaker wrote:Splitting or slot worn by the chain? If the latter then I suspect that either the alignment is not good (I trashed the first set on my Grasshopper due to shoddy re-assembly :oops: ) or you've done a massive mileage. I bought a replacement set from Bikefix (including fittings) then made sure of the alignment this time :roll:
I've been advised on the BHPC forum that irrigation tubing like this is OK, but I'm not convinced yet about its friction characteristics as it's LDPE rather than PTFE. I would say that the tubing ICE uses is noticeably low in friction :)

PS: it's relatively easy to trim the split ends off and re-flare using a hot air gun and suitable round ended object, but if the wear groves go a long way up the tube then it definitely is replacement time.

SQEAKER you were exactly right. It completely disintegrated this evening taking with it the spring bracket which goes behind the chain idler . I assume this can be bought from bike fix I'll give them a ring tomorrow.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Stradageek wrote:I bought 30m of irrigation tubing which has lasted me and my laid back friends for years.

I had concerns that it looked 'softer' than the original tubing and might be 'draggy' but all fears proved groundless, being 'softer' it is much less prone to embrittlement and cracking and it is undegraded by oil over the 10 years I've been using it.

Only downside is the need to invest in a length of dowel rod to assist straightening the tube (with a hot air gun) as it comes as a wound reel.

Might give this a go next time, for now I want to get back on the road.
NUKe

Post by Geoff.D »

squeaker wrote:I've been advised on the BHPC forum that irrigation tubing like this is OK

Thanks for this reference, squeaker.
I don't currently have any tubes on my bike. The advantage of this, of course, is quieter running. But the disadvantages are occasional oil marks on my leg (or leggings) and some "slap" on the chain stay. I've been toying for a while with making a new idler and incorporating tube mountings. You might just have given me the prompt to get off my backside!
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

OK I have the chain tubes and brackets on their way from Bikefix. The only reference I have for fixing is the grasshopper manual. any gotcha's on the fixing of the tubes and brackets.

What do you use to flare the ends? I thought hot airgun and ball of hammer?
NUKe

Post by squeaker »

NUKe wrote:OK I have the chain tubes and brackets on their way from Bikefix. The only reference I have for fixing is the grasshopper manual. any gotcha's on the fixing of the tubes and brackets.
None that I recall, other than being dead fussy about alignment on the powerside to avoid the mess shown in the attached :roll: :oops:

NUKe wrote:What do you use to flare the ends? I thought hot airgun and ball of hammer?
Hot air gun and wooden file handle (wood so as not to cool the tube too fast).
Attachments
ChewedTube.jpg
ChewedTube.jpg (24.41 KiB) Viewed 6092 times
"42"
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

A few pix of the current, seemingly durable, set up using genuine HPV tubes and fixings.
Attachments
The lumpy bits are some rubber tube taped on to stop the return tube moving fore / aft
The lumpy bits are some rubber tube taped on to stop the return tube moving fore / aft
Tube3.jpg
Tube3.jpg (23.7 KiB) Viewed 6092 times
Tube4.jpg
Tube4.jpg (36.75 KiB) Viewed 6092 times
"42"
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

That's brilliant Squeaker thank you.
NUKe

Post by Elizabethsdad »

There is always something like this:-
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Round-Co ... m/p/109639
for a cheap diy job
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Now I have received the new ones from Bikefix, I realise that the old ones were just LDPE tubing. Will be fitting tonight. must remember to keep turning the tubes to prolong their life. Think I will be swapping to the LDPE one when these wear out, providing I don't wear out the brackets again . Also I notice from Squeaker's pictures, I have the wrong clamp at the front on the lower tube.

Once again thanks for all the help
NUKe