Chain tubes when to replace where to buy

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
NUKe

Re: Chain tubes when to replace where to buy

Post by NUKe »

well noticed a small hole appearing in one of my chain tubes, So I 've bit the bullet and bought the LDPE tubing recommended last year, remarkably the eBay link sent by Squeaker still works still selling the same tubing. .
I'll keep an eye on the tubes as I don't want to be stranded again, but did notice that around the clamps, cable still seems good at the moment.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

I need to replace the tubes again, I bought some of the LDPE irrigation tubing 13mm, its seems too big for the HP springs that attach to the mounting point for the Chain idler (see Squeaker's picture above). I have managed for the time being to re use the bottom tube as top tube and use a piece of the new LDPE as the bottom tube. Anybody got any tips for making the LDPE tubing fit into the Spring? Either a way to widen the spring or is it just persistence to push the tubing through. Its not far out but I couldn't get it in.
NUKe

Post by OldBloke »

This is probably stating the bleeding obvious, but, have you tried some hot water, hair dryer or heat gun to soften the tube?

OB
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Just looked at the irrigation tube ad:
16mm (OD) 13.6mm(ID)
: the HP stuff is about 14mm OD which is why you are having a problem.

Unwinding a coil spring increases its bore, but those HP ones don't have much of an 'end' to get hold of. How about experimenting with drawing a short length after warming up (ie apply local heat then pull carefully)? Should reduce both bore and wall thickness (if lucky) so you could create a slightly tapered end.

I do have to ask how many miles you are doing, as you seem to have worn out a tube in the 6 months since November last year :shock: Those on my 'Hopper have probably done about 10k miles so far... Where are the tubes failing?
"42"
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

I use the hopper day in day out, it wasn't probably at the end of life but it had an hole, forming on the tube about 4 inch in front of the chain idler, Its done 3k in the last 6 month. so probably not worn out but the 300k Audax in10 days made me want to change it. I suspect the winter took its toll.
NUKe