Recumbents - very small market?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Dave W

Recumbents - very small market?

Post by Dave W »

I 'be got the itch for one, probably because I'm getting on now and have never tried one, it's one of those things I'd love to have a go at and because I like quirky things. Unfortunately my n+1 formula is wearing a bit thin at the moment.

I've spotted several for sale over the last few weeks, they seem to attract loads of interest but don't sell particularly well. I suppose they are a bit expensive or is it just that they belong in a very small marketplace?
I'd want to know I wouldn't be stuck with it a couple of years down the line.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Recumbents - very small market?

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Where are you based? What are you looking at.

It's a relatively small market - but sane prices will normally get a sale pretty easily...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

I bought one on ebay a few years ago, sold it again a year later for exactly what I bought it for.

If you're buying 2nd hand I doubt you've got to much to lose.
Dave W

Post by Dave W »

Based in Wilts. Never ridden one, live in a fairly hilly area, not looking to tour fully loaded but would want something to ride between thirty and seventy miles at a time. I have it in my head that I would like rear suspension (lower back sufferer). Don't fancy a trike, so the Grasshopper might fit the bill. Would want to take it on club rides now and again (drop down slow and social group). Might never happen but once I get an itch I usually scratch it :lol:
I have three carbon racers at the moment when one would be plenty.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Strongly advise hiring one or several different ones before buying, they are quite different from ordinary bikes and you may need to learn to cycle again :)

What is meant by n+1?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

N+1 is the optimal number of bikes to own, where n is your current stable size.

S-1 is an alternative presentation, where a is the number of bikes at which your significant other will leave you.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Lodge

Post by Lodge »

+1 re. hiring to test. After prevaricating for two years I did this a year and a half ago then immediately after the week's hire put an order in for a Bacchetta Giro. The shop knocked the hire cost off the price.

Wiltshire can be pretty hilly - make sure you get a wide range of gears. Climbing is not so easy recumbent so one has to spin rather than strain the knees at 60 rpm or less. Expect to go slower uphill but revel in the downhill and the lack of pain in rear end and wrists.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Small market, but also pretty dead at this time of year, IMO. (I'm veering on N+2 but wouldn't consider putting anything up for sale until late April at the earliest.)
Provided you bought secondhand something made by a reputable manufacturer then I'd doubt you'd loose much if you sold it a year later.
I'd also recommend the hire approach, especially if some 'coaching' is included. I spent a happy morning at London Recumbents many years ago - moved from falling off in 15ft to cycling around (traffic free) Dulwich Park in that time. Beware the pull of the Dark Side though - can be expensive :lol:
"42"
Si

Post by Si »

BrianFox wrote:I bought one on ebay a few years ago, sold it again a year later for exactly what I bought it for.

If you're buying 2nd hand I doubt you've got to much to lose.

ditto. I got a PDQ....very old design but at a couple of hundred quid a good intro to 'bents without risking loads of money and there's nothing wrong with PDQs....they do the job (but more aged Galaxy than new Colnago).

Wish I still had one, but having room to store it was an issue, plus it didn't really suit the majority of riding that I was doing (trying to teach bikeability on a 'bent doesn't go down well with the boss!), and it caused my dodgy kidneys some issues.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

There's quite a good range on offer on eBay at the moment at fair prices (compared to new). Apparently trike sales are much stronger than bike sales currently, but I'd expect the bikes to start shifting as the days get longer.
hercule

Post by hercule »

Unlike upright bikes, the recumbent category has a huge amount of variety - the breed hasn't had as much attention to refining it over the years (even though recumbents of one form or another have been around as long as the Rover Safety). As a connoisseur the differences between your three CF bikes will be obvious to you - but they are very subtle compared to the difference between different recumbents.

Test rides have their uses - like seeing if you can get your feet down! But certainly at the beginning there will be a steep learning curve and there's a lot to be said for jumping in and trying to get to grips with something. I went through various models (a PDQ, a LWB model) that taught me what I needed so when I spent some serious money on a Nazca Fuego I was pretty sure what I wanted. I sold the PDQ for more than I bought it (I did do some upgrading along the way), so the "hire" charge was in fact negative! Don't discount trikes. Great on dodgy road conditions, steep hills, carrying loads. The best thing is that you get miles of clearance from passing vehicles, far more than a two wheeler!
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

I'll echo the idea of trying before buying. One of the things that's very different about 'bents is the degree to which even notionally similar ones are whole different ball games. While Brand X's upwrong road racer will be pretty much interchangeable with Brand Y's, it doesn't work that way with a 'bent.
Another thing you'll find is if certain handlebar configurations do or don't work for you: I don't really get on with tiller steering, a 'pal with tiller steering doesn't really like Superman bars, and so on.

My first one was an ex-dem from a local-ish shop for £250. It's replacement was considerably more and I tested out at Kinetics in Glasgow. My wife tested all the ones there but wasn't convinced, tried a few more on a trip to NL and got one on the back of that trip that just had the obvious X-Factor as soon as she rode it.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Keep an eye on the Challenge Furai on eBay at the moment and see what that goes for. That's priced to sell.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

All the shops are good with test rides, but they are few and far between . I went through Kevin at DTek last year. Its a bit of Trek from the west country, but he does do a 1/2 day try different bikes and trikes for £25.
NUKe

Post by Dave W »

UpWrong wrote:Keep an eye on the Challenge Furai on eBay at the moment and see what that goes for. That's priced to sell.

Yes, I saw that one too,looked quite interesting.
Beautiful ice trike on gumtree too but not cheap.