I've moved to the dark side!

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
hercule

Re: I've moved to the dark side!

Post by hercule »

Well, I just got on to my first recumbent and rode it straight off for 10 miles.

Although it was a Kettwiesel trike! :D :D

Mind you, after 4 years I'm still not 100% happy on my Fuego. Maybe I should have a go with superman bars on it.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Geoff.D wrote:Welcome, indeed.

Yes, relaxation is the thing. I started with USS and had no difficulty once I'd achieved a cadence from start. It was a forgiving steering geometry. But, low speed was the real problem. This was especially so uphill, where I'd tense up with the effort and be pulling on the bars as well. The secret was to relax and let the legs (pressing against the seat back) take all the tension/compression. To help achieve this I'd make an "O" ring with my thumb and index finger and steer the bars through this. In effect I was dissociating my arms from the bars and steering with the occasional "nudge" by this ring. It worked. And I got to the point where arm tension just disappeared.

Stalling speed is the crucial point for me. It's essential for me to be in the correct gear (e.g. when going up steep hills). I've found it better to change down well ahead of time when approaching 12 - 18%, so as to avoid the dreaded attempt to change down at the crucial maximum effort/stalling speed point. This means that I'm spinning higher at the bottom than I would normally want to do, but saves the possibility of stalling, putting my feet down and then being unable to get started again on the upslope.

Agree about changing down in good time.
For really steep hills (eg1:5, or 20%) a really low gear is a big help.
Now I hear you say "blooming obvious" but I have found that the more you can keep a high cadence the easier it is to maintain balance at very low speeds.
A low gear that from a power delivered perspective is perfectly feasible to achieve the climb but the slower cadence results in more "side to side" imbalance.
Spinning as fast as possible is a great stabilizer.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I think
It's more that large forces applied slowly are actively destabilising...

By spinning you maintain more control rather than having to bear into each stroke
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

Yes, definitely, spinning on steep upslopes is a key element. It gives a much smoother power delivery.
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

Geoff.D wrote:Yes, definitely, spinning on steep upslopes is a key element. It gives a much smoother power delivery.

And kinder to your knees. :wink:

P.S.
WELCOME........

.......... to the dark side. :mrgreen: and may that grin never fade.
swscotland bentrider

Post by swscotland bentrider »

I agree with other posters regarding the merits of spinning. I find that I can ride my bike at less than walking pace quite easily and in a fairly straight line on the flat. So I've concluded that it must be the forces introduced by pedalling that cause destabilisation. The smoother I can pedal (and that requires a reasonably high cadence) the slower I can go uphill without de stabilising.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I'm surprised at the weight. My Metabikes with steel fork, big apple tyres and disc brakes plus rack was still under 30 lbs. I ran it with wide 20" rims. Best climbing bent I've owned.
Dave W

Post by Dave W »

What did you think of the big apples? I've nicked some Continental Tour Guard things off the wife's bike and they feel very sluggish.
hercule

Post by hercule »

I used to run both my trikes with Big Apples. I then went for full suspension on the Trice and slimmed down to Kojaks on the front and a slightly tougher Marathon Slick (now out of production) on the rear. Result is a fast and lively machine, pretty near perfect for me! However I was getting really poor traction on frosty days so swapped in a Big Apple hoping to improve the grip - however I found it much worse, and in comparison to the narrower lighter tyre the whole trike felt sluggish and stodgy. Back to the previous set up and I'm happy again. Maybe think about putting a Tryker on the rear for a bit more grip but in today's warmer conditions everything was fine.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Dave W wrote:What did you think of the big apples? I've nicked some Continental Tour Guard things off the wife's bike and they feel very sluggish.

Good for comfort not speed. I waa trying to maximize the former. I find marathon racers to be the best compromise.

Edit: Best compromise on an unsuspended bent that is.