My new ride

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
firedfromthecircus

Re: My new ride

Post by firedfromthecircus »

It's not one I recognise. I did wonder if it was an Atomic Zombie but it doesn't fit with the plans they have available right now, and it does look a little too well made to be a home build. What does the seller say?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I don't recognise it - and Ultimo seems to be a purveyor of ladies undies...

Looks like a really good home build in many ways, but could equally be a design hand made in smaller numbers.
I like the STI adaptation.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

It reminds me of the Linear from USA in the 90's. It isn't, of course, but it's possible that it's a homemade frame taking the Linear as a tried-and-tested model to work from.

The Linear frame was aluminium (or should I say "aluminum"?) and the rear chain stays could fold under the seat, if I remember correctly.

linear1.jpg
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

Well it's got a couple of numbers stamped on the frame so I'm thinking it's a production model or prototype maybe.

I also thought it might be an "Atomic Zombie" but couldn't match it to any of their plans. The seller didn't know as it was a trade in.
They thought it was an "Ultimoto" but they make Gym bikes.

I think it had an older style 20" front wheel (ETRTO 451) as the front forks have been modded to take a 406 20".Edit 438 20"

It's very highly geared @ 30"- 129"

It rides nicely enough though and I've only fallen off once. :roll:

.........So far. :lol:

P.S.
Does anyone know where I can get a Shimano 105 chainset 165mm octalink FC-5501/5504 ?
So far all I can find are 175mm crank length. Which is what is fitted at present.
Last edited by nigelnightmare on 28 Mar 2017, 5:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

I found a set of 165mm cranks (130/74bcd 5 arm triple) no rings, at "SPA Cycles" £20 and a new bottom bracket £16 that will sort me out for now,
seeing as my rings are new I'll swop them over.
recumbentpanda

Post by recumbentpanda »

If memory serves me well, it was a short-lived British make, following the same basic inspiration as the Linear which was the US Avatar, and the one-off Cambridge UK designed prototype on which the Avatar Itself was based.

It always looked to me like a well sorted bike, except for the massive length . . . Plan early for turns :lol:
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

recumbentpanda wrote:If memory serves me well, it was a short-lived British make, following the same basic inspiration as the Linear which was the US Avatar, and the one-off Cambridge UK designed prototype on which the Avatar Itself was based.

It always looked to me like a well sorted bike, except for the massive length . . . Plan early for turns :lol:

I'd be interested to read more about the one-off Cambridge UK designed prototype on which the Avatar was based.
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

recumbentpanda wrote:If memory serves me well, it was a short-lived British make, following the same basic inspiration as the Linear which was the US Avatar, and the one-off Cambridge UK designed prototype on which the Avatar Itself was based.

Any more information on the "one-off Cambridge" prototype?
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

The main problem with turns is I'm having to learn to lean into the turns from a reclined position and it feels really weird.