Trike Plans

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
landsurfer

Trike Plans

Post by landsurfer »

Are there plans available from the UK,for a lightweight, home built recumbent trike ?
Single, full-size (700c) wheel at the rear.
Last edited by landsurfer on 15 Mar 2017, 2:52pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
[XAP]Bob

Re: TRIKE PLANS

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Atomic zombie?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
landsurfer

Re: Trike Plans

Post by landsurfer »

Is there a UK source for the plans. i like the look of it.
Be more Mike.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

It's all online afaik

Why the UK requirement?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Or you can buy the Alleweder A4 velomobile as a kit from alligt.nl

https://youtu.be/ZzA4rmS6kuQ
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

[XAP]Bob wrote:It's all online afaik

Why the UK requirement?

Because i'm fed up with plans and downloads I have purchased, from the USA particularly, not turning up or full of virus's.
Maybe i'm just unlucky. :)
Be more Mike.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Well that worked.... plans downloaded .... steel for chassis ordered, collect tomorrow.
Brakes .... disc and rim on rear only ?????
Do front, steering wheels, need to be braked ??
Any thoughts ....
Attachments
Warrior Recumbent Tadpole Racing Trike 4.jpg
Last edited by landsurfer on 16 Mar 2017, 5:14pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be more Mike.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

excellent - do keep us up to date with the build. Be interesting to see how good the plans are
Indeboat

Post by Indeboat »

You will need brakes on the front :D , as they do all the stopping,if you try and stop with the rear only you will lock the back wheel very easy :roll: and just carry on at quite a brisk speed,only used mostly as a drag brake down long decents and as a parking brake.
Good luck with the build.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Indeboat wrote:You will need brakes on the front :D , as they do all the stopping,if you try and stop with the rear only you will lock the back wheel very easy :roll: and just carry on at quite a brisk speed,only used mostly as a drag brake down long decents and as a parking brake.

I did suspect that may be the reality .... I dont like discs so may investigate hub brakes but the easiest to install will win ...lol .... which may be discs :)
Be more Mike.
Indeboat

Post by Indeboat »

Here's one i made earlier.
https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=15204&start=285#p900650

And in action on a ride with Will in Cambridgeshire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSceUMoR4PA
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

landsurfer wrote:
Indeboat wrote:You will need brakes on the front :D , as they do all the stopping,if you try and stop with the rear only you will lock the back wheel very easy :roll: and just carry on at quite a brisk speed,only used mostly as a drag brake down long decents and as a parking brake.

I did suspect that may be the reality .... I dont like discs so may investigate hub brakes but the easiest to install will win ...lol .... which may be discs :)

Hubs not much harder to install...
You have to have a place for the reaction arm to hold rather than disc calliper mounts.

You'll also need one of the brakes to be left handed (can't recall if that's a configuration change or a different planet.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Knee jerk .... its doable with hubs if the reaction arm mounts face different directions ... one fore, one aft ... or wheel build accommodates the arms ... Single leading shoe better than twin leading shoe ???
Be more Mike.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Cable runs for foreword facing arm might be interesting...

ICE have them both facing to the rear, so there is certainly the ability to set it up thatbway
OldBloke

Post by OldBloke »

Also have a look at what Greenspeed do for hub brakes: http://www.greenspeed.com.au/gsparts.html

OB