LWB vs SWB

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Geoff.D

LWB vs SWB

Post by Geoff.D »

There's a "Linear" LWB bike for sale on eBay. Here's an example of a Linear -

linear1.jpg

My 2 wheeled "bent experience is with a SWB, in both USS and OSS mode. I have no complaints about my bike at all. It does what it says on the tin, in either handlebar mode.

There are obvious differences with the LWB arrangement. I could make some guesses as to the pros and cons between the two. But, perhaps that would come better from someone who has experience of both. Can someone offer that insight and evaluation?
firedfromthecircus

Re: LWB vs SWB

Post by firedfromthecircus »

I don't have any SWB experience, just trike and LWB, but I would say if you are interested, and the price is right go for it. I love my Vanguard! :D
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I wouldn't touch the earlier Linears. The latest version is pretty good though.

Advantages are ease of stopping and starting, more comfortable without suspension and many have an efficient idler-free transmission. Disadvantages are size, turning circle and a tendency to wander when climbing hills, I've owned 2 LWBs and 5 SWBs and 4 trikes.
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

firedfromthecircus wrote:I don't have any SWB experience, just trike and LWB, but I would say if you are interested, and the price is right go for it. I love my Vanguard! :D

UpWrong wrote:Advantages are ease of stopping and starting, more comfortable without suspension and many have an efficient idler-free transmission. Disadvantages are size, turning circle and a tendency to wander when climbing hills, I've owned 2 LWBs and 5 SWBs and 4 trikes.

Thanks, both.
Does the BB being lower than your hips affect the "numb toes" syndrome. Or are my numb toes (after several hours and/or cold weather, on both my bike and trike) nothing to do with the BB height?
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

"numb toes" is never an issue I've troubled from. Anecdotally yes it's less of a problem on a LWB. I think I may be less likely to get cramp on a LWB. Other pros & cons:

Pros: less twitchy at speed, easier to adjust between multiple riders, no boom flex
Cons: less aero
recumbentpanda

Post by recumbentpanda »

To actually answer the OPs question . . . I have many years experience on an early model Linear, but have been riding a SWB Nazca Fuego for the last two.

The long wheelbase bike handled very well, and after a few months practice I could navigate sharp reverse bends at walking pace, and almost trackstand it at the lights . . . As with all LWB bikes the front wheel is relatively lightly loaded, so the back wheel is used for heavy braking, and I was always cautious about putting the front wheel into wet leaves, loose gravel and such. Having said that, I only ever came off once, and that was as a result of an ill advised off road excursion!

Incidentally, mine was an early model Linear, and did indeed have some issues - as you would expect from a bike of that age. Mine had been heavily crashed before I got it, and was rather a rather bent 'bent. Even so, it did several hundred miles before I got round to a proper rebuild and was solid after a few mods. It's a great bike to 'tinker' with and modify to your own liking. Some of the early models have an issue with heavy or strong riders bending the rear frame toward the drive side. Mine had that. I 'cold set' them straight again and had a gusset plate welded on in the same style as the factory mod that was introduced for a while, before the whole rear end got totally redesigned. Has been absolutely fine ever since. I know one early Linear was used to tour the length of India, and my experience is certainly that they are pretty rugged.

Coming to SWB experience, the curious thing I immediately noticed is that the fuego won't go round sharp slow corners as well as the Linear, in spite of having a much shorter wheelbase. Part of this is my lack of experience with tiller steering, and part is due to heel interference with the front wheel in tight turns. I am improving, but it's a very different balance. The other obvious thing is that the weight distribution is the opposite way round. Heavy braking is best done on the front wheel, as on a normal bike, and on loose stuff, it's the back wheel I am cautious about.

Although the Linearnis a great cruiser, and very relaxed, I do like the excitement of the lower and faster fuego. Also the lowness means coming off on black ice once this winter was no big deal, - on my way back past the same spot an hour or two later I passed a roadside pile of broken cyclists, awaiting the arrival of the ambulance!

Executive summary: Linear is a great bike, but as with any bike, if you buy an old one, be prepared to do work on it at some point, but they are very 'fixable'. SWB fuego is also a great bike, but a very different riding experience.

Hope this helps.
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

recumbentpanda wrote:
Hope this helps.

:D
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I've just remembered I forgot to say the main reason why I bought the RANS Stratus XP. Basically it meant that I could ride a bent bike with two large wheels (26"). I'm not tall enough to manage high-racer SWBs.
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

UpWrong wrote:I've just remembered I forgot to say the main reason why I bought the RANS Stratus XP. Basically it meant that I could ride a bent bike with two large wheels (26"). I'm not tall enough to manage high-racer SWBs.

What effect did you find with 2 x 26" wheels, UpWrong?
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Geoff.D wrote:What effect did you find with 2 x 26" wheels, UpWrong?

Well, it wasn't a controlled experiment. I have a 28mm Durano on the front and a 35mm Kojak on the rear with Mavic Crossride wheels with aerospokes. It rolls well and I don't have to slow down for the bumps which I had to with my 26/20 Metabikes (which is why I sold it). Performance is compromised by the seat and BB position though. It could do with a hardshell seat, something like an Easy Racers Cobra seat I guess. I might try approaching Recumboni for their seat one day. http://www.cambiecycles.com/recumboni.html
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I rode my Stratus XP to work yesterday – a really pleasant experience. It rolls extremely well and is very easy to manage in traffic. I didn't have any problems holding it in a straight line uphill either, but previously I've found it a handful on occasions. I will do some more commuting on it before making up my mind whether or not to keep it and sell my Catrike 700. I'm enjoying the two-wheel experience again but come winter wind, frost and ice I might have reason to want 3 wheels.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Still enjoying my commute on the Stratus XP. I'm becoming more attuned to it, my handling of it is improving and I'm getting faster. There's a definitie surge in acceleration when I kick now. Really appreciate how easy it is to step over the frame and no problem with tight turns. The handlebars clear my knees even when pedalling so right turns at T junctions are no cause for concern. Seriously contemplating trying an Audax ride on it. Will have a go at getting it in the car this weekend.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I forgot to mention the positive reactions I get from other cyclists, pedestrians, school kids and even car drivers. Lots of "cool bike" comments and out come the phones.

I think my handling improved when I noticed that dropping my head slightly reduced tension in my shoulders and upper arms. 'Bent steering is all about staying relaxed.
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

UpWrong wrote:I forgot to mention the positive reactions I get from other cyclists, pedestrians, school kids and even car drivers. Lots of "cool bike" comments and out come the phones.

I think my handling improved when I noticed that dropping my head slightly reduced tension in my shoulders and upper arms. 'Bent steering is all about staying relaxed.

I agree on both counts.
With regard to the steering/relaxation relationship, I find it most critical when working real hard up a steep bank, at my limit and not much more than stalling speed. Maintaining concentration to keep my arms relaxed (to let the steering geometry take care of itself) is important. But, if I'm on a narrow lane and I get a car coming by at this crucial time, my anxiety level naturally increases and I have to concentrate even harder to keep relaxed.
I have my own little techniques to help me do this. One of them is to loosen my grip on the bars. I concentrate on NOT making "fist" with my hands.
I think this concentration/relaxation relationship is evident in other sport - golf, snooker, darts come to mind.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I was able to fold the RANS and get it in the back of the car. Seat off, front wheel out, front mudguard removed, fork flipped, handlebars folded:
RANS_small.jpg

More photos here, https://1drv.ms/a/s!AmuVLk0nWAz9gYRAPYCq3MohR3vwcA
The handlebars rest nicely on the bottle cage with the fork flipped, a bungee holding them in place. I didn't need to remove the rear wheel and rack etc. I managed to put the bike into the car vertically with the fork straddling the handbrake. Will find out tomorrow how long it takes me to make it rideable again.