E Drive

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
davyboy

E Drive

Post by davyboy »

Hi all I need to fit electric assist to my trike.Any help would be appreciated it needs to be rear wheel.Totally confused about different batteries etc.Thanks.
[XAP]Bob

Re: E Drive

Post by [XAP]Bob »

what trike - why do you need the assist

I recently fitted a rear wheel drive motor to my ICE sprint 2RS, pretty happy with it so far.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
davyboy

Post by davyboy »

It's for my Performer x health issues is the reason .
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

OK - so 'support' for significant amounts of time.

What's the budget? You have a 559 rear wheel there?
I got a cassette (and you need to be careful, they do exist, but they're not what you'll find easily) based rear wheel and upgraded battery for about £500. The pedal assist computer is an extra £50 IIRC - and it sounds like you might benefit from it.

Regulations mean 250W and 15mph max for the motor to be assisting - feel free to build up speed down the hills though.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
davyboy

Post by davyboy »

Its a 26inch wheel and a 9 speed cassette.I don't need a lot of speed just power assist to help me along.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

May well be worth having a natter with Ben Cooper at Kinetics in Glasgow. He works with 'bents and electrics and both supplies pre-built and creates his own so may well be a useful source of info.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
canoesailor

Post by canoesailor »

davyboy wrote:Hi all I need to fit electric assist to my trike.Any help would be appreciated it needs to be rear wheel.Totally confused about different batteries etc.Thanks.

I recently fitted a Panda unit to my trike, Panda could not have been more helpful, the Unit works really well and they are not as expensive as some. Their wheel range is from 16 to 28 inch and a choice of front or rear fitting so you should find a fit.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

davyboy wrote:Hi all I need to fit electric assist to my trike.Any help would be appreciated it needs to be rear wheel.Totally confused about different batteries etc.Thanks.

It's a few years old now but -> https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=77833.0 is a good write up by Kim on fitting a motor to an ICE trike.
davyboy

Post by davyboy »

Thanks to everyone there's a lot to take in.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Where are you based?
Clearly more than a couple of us have experience that you might be able to look at and take inspiration from.
davyboy

Post by davyboy »

Im in Soham Cambridgeshire it seems to me that a lot of kits I have looked at have a very limited distance.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Distance really depends how much power you use...

Cambridgeshire is relatively flat, so power can be applied reasonably gently which will help.
That helps (rather than being full torque up hills all day)
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

Also battery capacity helps(AH Amp Hour) Larger capacity=Longer distance BUT

Larger capacity batteries weigh MORE.
Edit They also cost a LOT more.

On my wife's PDQ powertrike we have two(2) battery packs so that when one runs out you can swop to the other and have enough power to get back to your start point (Home, Car etc).

HTH
skelo

Post by skelo »

It may not be much help, but I have recently had a Heinzmann motor fitted to my Kettweisel, its a delta trike, with motor on the 20" front wheel and torque sensor in the bottom bracket. I found it impossible to get any performance data from any manufactured beforehand, which is understandable as it depends on the bike/trike its fitted to.
i have been trying to test mine out, on the lowest level of assist I have worked out that on the flat it has a range of roughly 80km on a full charge, obviously that will go down with more assist in the hills.

as people have said already, they are restricted to 25kmh(15mph) - following a stroke I am only using around 10% of my left leg and I can just get it up to 30kmh on the flat. I have been up to 40kmh downhill but I was sh***ing myself!!