Changing a tube?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Dave W

Changing a tube?

Post by Dave W »

What's your method on a two wheeler recumbent?
I'm in the middle of setting my Metabike up for 700c wheels luckily in the comfort of my garage. So out on the road do you gingerly turn the whole thing upside down?
UpWrong

Re: Changing a tube?

Post by UpWrong »

Yes, I've not found that to be a problem but my bents either have wider bars or a wider seat than your Metabikes. Just lean it against something as required.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I'd pop it on its side I expect...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

I'd turn mine upside down. But I'm lucky in that I have OSS with North Road bars and a mesh seat that leaves the seat frame proud at the top. So, when upside down there are 4 hard points of contact.

However, I did have two punctures in my trike a couple of years back, when I was on a lane strewn with hawthorn hedge trimmings (whilst the farmer was still cutting). I simply lay it on one side on the grass and did the necessary. No harm done.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

On a trike that also lifts the wheel to a nice easy height ;)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Remove wheel, lay bike on its side (preferably on something soft).
"42"
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

On the speedmachine I found the tricky bit was re-fitting the wheel, due to the effort of lifting the bike.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

I flip it over putting cloth under the parts touching the ground for protection.

You only need small cloths, they're also good for wiping hands on when finished and stopping your tools rattling.

I've also found "wet wipes" useful for cleaning grotty hands & parts.
D.TEK HPVS

Post by D.TEK HPVS »

May not be a long term problem for DaveW as the Metabike is up for sale on Ebay :?
Dave W

Post by Dave W »

Gone to a good home.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Don't often need to change a tube on the road. Patch it in place:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz33ozlTvdo
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Dave W wrote:Gone to a good home.

Always sorry to lose someone from the bent fold. And you never did get the chance to try short cranks or Q rings :?
Dave W

Post by Dave W »

:D I liked it but I didn't love it. To be honest I was throwing more and more money at it and still not getting there. One of my knees was always in pain after a ride (the one that was operated on years ago) so the next step would have been to change the cranks. The final straw was jamming my heel over the top of the front tyre on the wrong side stopping the bike dead ( I still haven't mended).
For me the cons outweighed the pros. Vision at certain junctions was horrendous, hill starts a nightmare and costs a bit high. Speed was improving however, and uphill I was getting quicker, handling went from frightening to good.
I'm glad I tried one and with long flattish countryside I can see their appeal but short steep country lanes aren't best suited for them I feel.
Dave W

Post by Dave W »

Just remembered ....... df riders don't like them! Everyone in our club just had to get in front, they couldn't draft it and I didn't dare close up on a back wheel with those chain teeth out front. I did get some pb times on the flat and thrashed everyone into the wind.So, not all bad!
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Fair enough, you gave it a good go. Comfort is the main benefit for most not speed. The improved comfort helps with endurance rides rather than fast club rides.