Recumbent Trike Riders - Durham, England

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Discamper90

Recumbent Trike Riders - Durham, England

Post by Discamper90 »

Hi everyone,

I'll be picking up my brand new ICE Sprint 26X from get Cycling in York on 13th April. It looks like I'm going to be the youngest recumbent rider in the North East at 26 years old! If there's anyone around Durham who wouldn't mind giving me a few pointers on maintenance or just going out for a ride so I can get into the community a bit more, let me know! It'll be nice to ride a few of the more quiet country roads and make some new friends. Also, what trike does everyone have?
Cunobelin

Re: Recumbent Trike Riders - Durham, England

Post by Cunobelin »

Nowhere near Durham, although I have cycled through on one of the Gekkos

Based on the South Coast with:

HP Velotechmik Gekko With Sclumpf HSD and Rohloff
HP Velotechmik Gekko with Bionx motor
Catrike Expedition with Rohloff
Hase Kettwiesel with Rohloff
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Also South coast with Sprint 26, Trice 'T' (notionally SWIMBO's) and, er, a WAW velomobile, if that counts as a trike :lol:
"42"
Joe.B

Post by Joe.B »

Mrs.B and I up in Newcastle are both recumbentists. I'm on a Challenge Seiran 2 wheeler she has and ICE trike which unfortunatly we'll soon be selling in order to pay for her new Circe Helios tandem. We do also have a rather rare ICE tandem trike but it is OOA this year after its stbd side steering linkage snapped. We plan on getting it off to Bob Jackson's next winter for a re-spray and some welding.

I have from time-to-time bumped into a couple of NE trike riders on the road so there are a few out there. If you don't mind a train ride upto Edinburgh there are sometimes very well attended recumbent rides from Laidback Bikes, google their Flickr page for photos.
Discamper90

Post by Discamper90 »

Joe.B wrote:Mrs.B and I up in Newcastle are both recumbentists. I'm on a Challenge Seiran 2 wheeler she has and ICE trike which unfortunatly we'll soon be selling in order to pay for her new Circe Helios tandem. We do also have a rather rare ICE tandem trike but it is OOA this year after its stbd side steering linkage snapped. We plan on getting it off to Bob Jackson's next winter for a re-spray and some welding.

I have from time-to-time bumped into a couple of NE trike riders on the road so there are a few out there. If you don't mind a train ride upto Edinburgh there are sometimes very well attended recumbent rides from Laidback Bikes, google their Flickr page for photos.

Hey Joe! What you doin' there with that gun in your hand? Oh, sorry!

I'll definitely have a look into the rides up Edinburgh, thanks. Luckily for me the ICE Sprint I'm getting is pretty damn foldable so trains will be an absolute breeze. Shame about the ICE tandem. Give 'Get Cycling' in York a call about repairs. I'm not sure if they'll be able to help you but they're a great bunch of guys and gals down there. Couldn't have helped me more over the last couple of weeks. If you're ever heading down to Durham and want a tour guide feel free to give me a bell!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Joe.B wrote:Mrs.B and I up in Newcastle are both recumbentists. I'm on a Challenge Seiran 2 wheeler she has and ICE trike which unfortunatly we'll soon be selling in order to pay for her new Circe Helios tandem. We do also have a rather rare ICE tandem trike but it is OOA this year after its stbd side steering linkage snapped. We plan on getting it off to Bob Jackson's next winter for a re-spray and some welding.

Rather rare - that's an understatement!
I'd love to get my hands on one...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Discamper90 wrote:Hi everyone,

I'll be picking up my brand new ICE Sprint 26X from get Cycling in York on 13th April. It looks like I'm going to be the youngest recumbent rider in the North East at 26 years old! .. ?

26 years young?

Are most downright riders older and most upwrong riders younger?

May one ride both or does one have to choose? :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

I'm the youngest recumbent rider in the village.......at 67. :D
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

[XAP]Bob wrote:

You do know that Kinetics has his own take on this, don't you?

http://www.kinetics-online.co.uk/recumb ... -tricycle/
Discamper90

Post by Discamper90 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:26 years young?

Are most downright riders older and most upwrong riders younger?

May one ride both or does one have to choose? :wink:

Ha! No no! I'm all for doing and riding what you want. Just noticed people tend to be older than me who ride recumbents. Won't stop me from enjoying the comfort though!

Geoff.D wrote:I'm the youngest recumbent rider in the village.......at 67. :D

And I bet you could still overtake me!
Joe.B

Post by Joe.B »

firedfromthecircus wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:

Ah yes, I’d forgotten about Kinetics in Glasgow. For welding and re-spraying the ICE tandem they are probably a better choice than Bob Jackson.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

firedfromthecircus wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:

IIRC Ben bought the design and jigs for the original Peter Ross designs