Gearing woes and Paseo weight

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
UpWrong

Gearing woes and Paseo weight

Post by UpWrong »

Had some problems with the gearing on my Paseo. I wanted to use a slick changing Ultegra 30/39/52 crankset (Shimano SGX rings do seem to shift well) so I needed some bigger cogs on the back to lower the gearing. My rear derailleur is an X9 and someone reported using this with a 36T cog so I fitted a 12-36T 9-speed cassette. It seemed to work ok on the workstand but on the road the cage fouled on the cogs when changing down from 3rd to 2nd when on the large chainring but was fine on the other rings. The B-screw was already as far in as it would go so I decided to switch to an 11-34 cassette and downsized the front to a 28/39/50 triple. The 12-36 Alivio cassette was quite a lump anyway whereas the 11-34 was a svelte SRAM PG-980. The chain was too long also so I could now take 6 links out to stop the chain wrap. Surprisingly this cassette also had the RD fouling the cogs. And the 45 teeth exceeded the capacity of the long cage RD. It locked up in big-big fortunately whilst testing on the stand.

Hence I've switched to an 11-32 cassette and this is fine. Will have to see how I get on with the 21.8" low.

Also attempted to weigh the bike with scales and a book of the same thickness. Came to 41 lbs - but this is with double racks, guards and kickstand. It doesn't feel that when riding it. The dual-suspension really socks up the bumps nicely and yet the bike still feels quite sporty and responsive - it's not soft and squidgy. It's a long bike though. Longer I think than both the Metabikes and Giro 20 I owned previously.
OldBloke

Re: Gearing woes and Paseo weight

Post by OldBloke »

I ran a 22/36/48 triple with a 11-36 with a Shimano long RD on my trike. I could either set up the chain so I had the full range on the large ring but have the chain really slack and the RD folded back on itself on 22-11; or, I could set it up so that the chain didn't go slack on 22-11 but I couldn't use 48-36 or 48-32. I chose the later option and just had to make sure I remember to change down to the middle chain ring when going down the cassette before I got to the last two cogs. An RD jammed under power can be difficult to unjam. ;-)

OB
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

I can't see why you're having problems with 11-34 with 30-39-52 as I'm running

11-34 with 30-42-55 on my ICE QNT 2007 with an X9 rear derailler and it's still got enough play to go 11-36. But that's just about the MAX I can go.

Thinking about it, are you sure that your rear derailler has the long arm on it because they made a medium length one as well.

Mine is about 95mm between jockey wheel bolts with 11 tooth jockey wheels.

HTH
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I guess it's the hanger position or, since the Paseo does not have a hanger, the position of the B-screw stop on the frame. The RD is managing the 43T capacity of my set up ok. I see a 10-speed SRAM X-5 RD has a 47T capacity.
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

You can try putting the B'stop screw in from the other side (bit of a struggle to adjust) or getting a longer screw.

I have seen a spacer/shim made up to change the angle of the rear derailler on youtube but I can't seem to find it now. :oops: