Shout outs

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
tank

Shout outs

Post by tank »

I was cycling home from work yesterday, on my Street Machine GTE, and was going up hill so my speed wasn't the greatest (mind you I had tired legs yesterday so my speed on the flat wasn't great either) when a driver coming towards me shouts out:

"Get a life".

I am puzzled as to why I need to get a life just because I ride a non-standard bike rather than drive round in a white transit but there you go. I am use to having people shouting at me, generally it is so I look in their direction whilst they hold up a phone camera, so the shout itself wasn't unexpected or something I was/am worried about.

I have decided that it is the weirdest thing anyone has shouted at me as I have been riding along.

What is the wierdest thing shouted at you as you have been riding on your HPV :?:
Lonely recumbent rider

HP Velotechnik Street Machine GTe
Metabikes Metaphysics
Hase Pino
HPV Velotechnik Scorpion
[XAP]Bob

Re: Shout outs

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Rarely hear any comment from a cager.

Pedestrian s generally seem to either see just how fun and interesting it is, or fall about laughing....
Normally it's 'can I have a go' or 'how much'
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Tbf I have got the same comment from cages when riding a df. Some motorists are w'nk'rs and just want to have a go.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

:( but i'm a motorist ,,, and so are the majority of people on this site .... maybe a comment like " most motorists are ok " would help the argument ...
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

landsurfer wrote::( but i'm a motorist ,,, and so are the majority of people on this site .... maybe a comment like " most motorists are ok " would help the argument ...

I drive a car but I am NOT a motorist, in the sense of -ism. I am a cycle-ist

I submit that I am thus a typical forum user :)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I cycle ... I am a cyclist.
I drive a car ... I am a motorist.
I drive a motorcycle ... I am a motorcyclist.
SK8 ... No further comment required.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

I drive a car but i don't consider myself to be a motorist, it's just a necessary evil (Wife in wheelchair).

Most comments I get are "COOL" & "What is it". :wink: ICE trike & LWB recumbent "Ultimato" (Still unable to find out anything about it) :roll: :lol:
D.TEK HPVS

Post by D.TEK HPVS »

We want information, information, information Who are you?
The new number 2, who is number 1?
You are number 6
I am not a number, I am a free man :lol:

Oh forgot to say about the "LWB recumbent "Ultimato" (Still unable to find out anything about it) owned by Nigel NM
The bike has fabricated box section framework.... made by ULTIMATE BIKES near Reading UK ( long gone ! )
I have two in stock :roll:
hercule

Post by hercule »

I've been told I'm sick. Apparently it's high praise!
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

My partner and I were on the Bath-Bristol cycle path yesterday on our Morpheus (semi-recumbent) tandem. A chap and his woman friend passed us coming the other way, and as they passed the woman cried " Alan, that'll be us in 50 years".

I didn't mind that she was roused to comment (after all you get all sorts shouted). But the fact that she was about 30 herself p***** me off a bit.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Brendan Foster was talking on Breakfast Television this morning. He recalled being shouted at with the usual silly comments when he was out running in his youth. Nothing new there then. Mind you it's been a long time since I heard the "crack" get off and milk it. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
recumbentpanda

Post by recumbentpanda »

I was waiting to go through the entrance to the Bath end of the Bath Bristol path for a silver-bearded roadie coming the other way. As he passed me on my low rider, he leaned down from his lofty carbon perch and said in a most sinister whisper "You must be mad!" I looked up towards his hatchet blade saddle thoughtfully.

My favourite of all time however, were three young women some years ago out for an early summer weekend ride on various bikes that looked like they didn't get a lot of regular use. As I passed in the opposite direction on my recumbent the leader yelled to her companions "We should get bikes like that, then our fannys wouldn't hurt so much!" I had to stop and do my breathing exercises until I could see again.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

In the past 8 monthes, of bent ownership, I have really only had negative comments from cyclists. Usually the ones with the expensive kit,I expect it is because l dont fit their idea of a serious cyclist. One of my favourites was the guy who said "Better you than me" . My response " I couldn't agree more".
NUKe

Post by Joe.B »

Riding a bent seems to invite people to comment on our chosen method of transport. More often than not the comments are positive though the worst experience that I've ever had on a recumbent was riding in South Yorkshire. I posted the text below on the recumbent board of a different cycle forum last September of apologies to those who are reading it for the second time.

I’ve recently had a dreadful experience of cycling in South Yorkshire, so different from my experience anywhere else in the UK that I shall certainly avoid ever cycling there in the future.

Having arrived by train into Doncaster at 2030 on a Thursday night I cycled (using quiet roads an much as possible), 14 miles to a pals house in Thurdcroft, about 6 miles East of Rotherham. The abuse I received from yobs in cars for simply being on the counties roads was relentless. I wasn’t keeping count but during that 1 hour ride I must have been sworn at from car windows several times. None of these cars ever got stuck behind me and I wasn’t riding primary and taking up half the lane, I has just having what I thought was going to be a pleasant evening ride. It wasn’t just cars either, on entering Thurcroft two children on the pavement decided that for being on a bike I should be called a ‘fag’.

My plan for the following morning was to carry on to Gainsborough and visit family there, taking a scenic route of just over 40 miles. I expected that my experience would be different in daylight but no. On this ride I had abuse hurled at me from 4 cars. The last one was in Retford, after passing through that town I seemed to re-enter the civilised world. In fact by the time I reached Gainsborough I was receiving the sort of reaction to the bent which I’m much more accustomed too, one teenager remarking ‘wow, that’s awesome’, and a couple of builders turning round to say ‘look at that; how brilliant is that’.

Although I probably stood out on the bent I very much suspect that the people of South Yorkshire would have thrown abuse at me whatever bike I was riding. I’ll certainly think twice before ever riding there again and if I had the money I might consider ask Donald Trump to build a wall round it.
Discamper90

Post by Discamper90 »

I had a couple of dopey looking chavs fly past on scooters with L plates stick out their thumbs shouting 'WEHEY!' earlier today. It was nice to have a friendly reaction to be honest. I've only had the ICE for just over a week now and I've done about 200 miles on it and haven't had any abuse as such. Just a few cocky comments from kids here and there but when they see me laugh it probably makes them give up trying to get a rise out of me.

There's still time for some angry bar steward to pull over and try to crowbar me though! Hope not...