Alternative touring?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Heltor Chasca

Re: Alternative touring?

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I did the NL with my daughters last year. Oldest on her own bike and two panniers and bar bag. Youngest on the back of my Surly Big Dummy. 4 panniers, bar bag, tent, toy bag, swimming bag etc etc etc
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Oh man, I'd love to be able to justify one (or even have a go on one)....

Any room for a random test ride?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I the same, can't justify the spend but want to try out a tandem, recumbent and recumbent trike.

We went round part of Holland with junior riding his 14" bike with a followme tandem at back up. Worked very well. Frame bag gave more volume plus we reduced volume needed by buying new, better camping kit. Plus took less toys which didn't bother junior much. Although we did buy a few toys over there.

It was great. Holland is good for kids cycling. Although I think even the Dutch don't see many 4 year olds cycling freely on a cycle tour judging by the looks we got. Most 4 year olds were on parent's bike somewhere. On the front, middle or back!

Anywhere gives you taster seasons on these types of bikes? Say a come and try it days rental where you can swap bikes and trikes throughout the day?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

DTek at Ely (Cambs) do selector days, they're not free unless you end up buying a bike IKRC...

If you're near me I can offer a play on a couple of machines...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I suspect I'm not near you, north Lancashire based. A very generous offer indeed. If you're anything like me you'd be protective over your bikes. Not sure I'd be as generous with an offer like that. I possibly would but I'd be anxious seeing someone else riding my pride and joy.

Any generous 'bent riders near Lancaster willing to give a guy a try out?

The Glasgow recumbent retailer lets you try them out but only in the immediate area. I guess the industrial estate or general area their shop is in. Same with most bike shops I think.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I'm pretty relaxed with the trike - it's hard to get it that badly wrong.
The bike comes second, and is very much on a 'let's learn properly' basis.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

[XAP]Bob wrote:I'm pretty relaxed with the trike - it's hard to get it that badly wrong.
The bike comes second, and is very much on a 'let's learn properly' basis.

+1 :!:
"42"